Black Women Express Outrage Over New "tone Deaf," "white-washed" Sheamoisture Ad

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/arts/design/01harlem.html

I just read this article. The owners screwed over a Black theater in Harlem! They used it to get loans to finance their own business on the side. Hustlers! Sheisty! Folks should never buy their products after reading this article.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire! All BW are talking about is business integrity, not perfection. This and other decisions show their total lack thereof.

Southernbella.

What is this constant battle between black men and black women? Is there a way to heal this? Or is this just how it's going to be?

I am overwhelmed by the absoluteness of it. The tone and the idea that black people just should stop dealing with the other gender. How did this happen??

Black men have been like this for years. It only feels like a battle now because black women are fighting back.

Imo, it's up to bm to solve this problem they created.

SelahOco

Black men have been like this for years. It only feels like a battle now because black women are fighting back.

I know you probably don't feel like talking about this all the time, so other people can feel free to chime in. But what do you think happened? I mean the narrative I have bought into says that the white man pushed the black man out of the house, refusing to give them jobs and refusing to financially support families with fathers in the home - I.e the Claudine movie.

It is easier for black women to get jobs and education and we have left black men behind. Black man is displaced. Black woman becomes arrogant and won't tolerate someone below her educational and financial attainment.

I can't say I buy into this part, but it is a familiar narrative.

The first time I really felt this sense of "war" was reading an article this man wrote about how moms are more at fault than absent fathers when kids turn out "bad" or don't reach their potential. He said "black women are to blame because they are the ones who are there...so whatever happens is on them."

And these absent fathers were never named, looked for, or chastised for their part in failing their children.

Then I saw the legions of Hoteps consigning and I just felt like I was in the twilight zone.

Idk. I ramble when I feel emotional chaos, and that is where I am right now. It just feels like we are so at odds that I wonder what our culture and families will look like 20 years from now.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

Agreed.

See, until that little gem was posted i was about to give them a smallllll pass and continue buying theur shampoos, but...

Seeing as how they have done the typical and screwed over a black businesswoman then tossed her aside broke and in debt then decide to, basically, toss ALL blackwomen on a grand scale aside for white women (for dollars not sexually but the sentiment is the similar), and let's not forget their black granny's legacy, I'm done with all their products and lines. Done. Finished.

This is waaaaaayyyy past using white front ppl. At least it feels that way to me.

The war is on. Its about time we stop putting up with these trife BM... even the professional ones.

Southernbella.

I know you probably don't feel like talking about this all the time, so other people can feel free to chime in. But what do you think happened? I mean the narrative I have bought into says that the white man pushed the black man out of the house, refusing to give them jobs and refusing to financially support families with fathers in the home - I.e the Claudine movie.

It is easier for black women to get jobs and education and we have left black men behind. Black man is displaced. Black woman becomes arrogant and won't tolerate someone below her educational and financial attainment.

The first time I really felt this sense of "war" was reading an article this man wrote about how moms are more at fault than absent fathers when kids turn out "bad" or don't reach their potential. He said "black women are to blame because they are the ones who are there...so whatever happens is on them."

And tHese absent fathers were never named, looked for, or chastised for their part in failing their children.

Then I saw the legions of Hoteps consigning and I just felt like I was in the twilight zone.

Idk. I ramble when I feel emotional chaos, and that is where I am right now. It just feels like we are so at odds that I wonder what our culture and families will look like 20 years from now.

Girl I feel you. It's disconcerting when you look around and see the hostility on both sides.

White men didn't push bm out of anybody's home. Yes, white supremacy made it extremely difficult for black men to find jobs that would help them support a family, but that's not the entirety of it. Bm share some of the blame as well. Wasn't no black woman pushing her good black husband out of the house for $100 worth of food stamps. That's classic hotep narrative.

I also don't believe it's easier for bw to get jobs and education. For years the only jobs we could get were teachers or domestics, while bm could join the service and do different types of manual labor.

I can't say for sure what's happening now that makes it seem worse but I truly believe this stuff has always been simmering. Black women just used to stay silent in the interest of not making bm feel bad when the world already does that enough. But we've never gotten the same respect in return. Instead, bm have taken out their justifiable frustration out on us.

I don't think that's even specific to bm. Take any man in a patriarchal society, constrain his choices so that it's hard for him to support a family, and you will see him lash out at those closest to him to give himself some semblance of power and respect. But just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's right.

At this point, I think bw are done being silent and hiding all the pain we feel within our community. I don't know if that's good or bad for the whole but it's definitely good for bw. I don't know what the community will look like in 20 years and honestly, I'm exhausted from caring so much.

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

What is this constant battle between black men and black women? Is there a way to heal this? Or is this just how it's going to be?

I am overwhelmed by the absoluteness of it. The tone and the idea that black people just should stop dealing with the other gender. How did this happen??
Yeah, I don't like it. I believe in accountability but to say all black men are wrong is incorrect.

Femmefatal1981

We didn't start it but it is clear to me that it is straight up us vs. them and BW are ready to take BM out if they have to.

UmSumayyah

Outside of 4 white women working in the marketing department what does this show?

How many white women work in the marketing department of Saks, Nike, Nordstrom's, Harpo, and Target?

People recommended As I Am and it's not even black owned lol.

ETA. People have a right to no longer buy something. It's the sometimey-ness that's very interesting to me.

Hmmm....okay. BW should not expect that any of the good jobs shaping the direction of a company owned by a black man who used stories about his black mama to boost his appeal to bw who were the demographic that got him in a position to expand--- would be held by a bw.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
You know it's interesting, mahogany curls is a brand ambassador for them on YouTube and they could've included her in the commercial..she's a beautiful dark skin woman with kinky curls, well versed in natural hair are but instead they only went with ambiguous black for the tv commercial. Just vile!!!

I wonder how she feels.

She would have been a great choice but I don't think her hair is kinky at all.

oneastrocurlie

Hmmm....okay. BW should not expect that any of the good jobs shaping the direction of a company owned by a black man who used stories about his black mama to boost his appeal to bw who were the demographic that got him in a position to expand--- would be held by a bw.

This picture shows the whole marketing department for the entire company? Shea Moisture marketing department is ran by 4 white chicks. Got it.

They push out lines like bootleg DVDs. Every new line isn't for straight and wavy. Formulas been the same.

People think it's crap, don't want to buy it anymore, that's cool.

We boycott based on what's comfortable and easiest anyway. Boycott SM. Boycott every other company that has had the same blunder (and funds bs like Trump and private prisons).

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

These negrums use us to get their ideas/businesses/careers off the ground, then dump us for Becky's and expect us to still support them. Those days are over!

As I said earlier... they should have taken a look at what happened to John Ridley before they went down this road!

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

Girl I feel you. It's disconcerting when you look around and see the hostility on both sides.

White men didn't push bm out of anybody's home. Yes, white supremacy made it extremely difficult for black men to find jobs that would help them support a family, but that's not the entirety of it. Bm share some of the blame as well. Wasn't no black woman pushing her good black husband out of the house for $100 worth of food stamps. That's classic hotep narrative.

I also don't believe it's easier for bw to get jobs and education. For years the only jobs we could get were teachers or domestics, while bm could join the service and do different types of manual labor.

I can't say for sure what's happening now that makes it seem worse but I truly believe this stuff has always been simmering. Black women just used to stay silent in the interest of not making bm feel bad when the world already does that enough. But we've never gotten the same respect in return. Instead, bm have taken out their justifiable frustration out on us.

I don't think that's even specific to bm. Take any man in a patriarchal society, constrain his choices so that it's hard for him to support a family, and you will see him lash out at those closest to him to give himself some semblance of power and respect. But just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's right.

At this point, I think bw are done being silent and hiding all the pain we feel within our community. I don't know if that's good or bad for the whole but it's definitely good for bw. I don't know what the community will look like in 20 years and honestly, I'm exhausted from caring so much.

:thankyou:

aquajoyice

And these absent fathers were never named, looked for, or chastised for their part in failing their children.

There was a post here recently of a YT video created by Chime explaining what's wrong with some of these BM. Just another form of oppression rearing it's ugly head. Theyr'e the first ones that want to be all inclusive all the while stepping on the necks of BW thinking it's gaining them approval in the white community and it aint.

At this point the goal is to prevent generational wealth in the black community when our companies get too big. At some point or another they try to stick their head in to gain shares. Sadly, many of us haven't been taught the value of keeping it in the family and they sell out first chance they get for immediate satisfaction without thinking of the long-term neg impacts of doing so.

aquajoyice

Have they done away with the black targeted product lines? If not, why is everyone so mad :look:?
I'm honestly not understanding what the big stink is about lol. Do they not have the right to expand?

For those that haven't jumped ship, this is more a matter of loyalty. It's like a black guy dating a white chick and slamming black women while doing it. No one cares that they want to date others, just don't stab us in the back while they do it.

I stopped using their products a long time ago because the consistency changed and it stopped moisturizing my hair, but this disturbing to me.

1QTPie

Elder Sim

I didn't even care until this. This is where I draw the line. Every time I see this faux hotep fool's name I just think about his past and become incensed.