Black Women Express Outrage Over New "tone Deaf," "white-washed" Sheamoisture Ad

KEWLKAT103

Had no idea. Totally going to try this now!

Also, Camille Rose is owned by a black woman that is the mother of 5 kids and vegan.

HappilyLiberal

Someone posted the list below in a comment beneath Quest for the Perfect Curl's YT video about the SM commercial.

ETA

NOTE 1: I have NO IDEA how accurate this list is.

NOTE 2: Boundless Tresses seems to have very poor customer service: https://www.curlynikkiforums.com/forum/naturally-curly-hair/general/6793-boundless-tresses-scam

The comment read:

BLACK OWNED HAIR PRODUCTS.....

1. Alikay
  2. Design Essentials
  3. Kinky Curly
  4. Coils by Nature
  5. Camille Rose Naturals
  6. Taliah Waajid
  7. Miss Jessie's
  8. Afrikan Republic
  9. Mane Choice
  10. Mielle Organics
  11. Natural Oasis
  12. African Royale
  13. Uncle Funky's Daughter
  14. Jamaican Mango & Lime
  15. Essations Multi-textural
  16. Actramoist
  17. California Curl
  18. Dudley Hair Care
  19. LuvNaturals
  20. Takedown Hair
  21. Isoplus
  22. African Wonders
  23. Luster's (S'curl, etc.)
  24. Extasi Hair products
  25. Bronner Brothers
  26. ilora L'original Hair products
  27. Boundless tresses
  28. Nature's image
  29. Royal Roots
  30. Diva by Cindy
  31. sizta 2 sizta
  32. Oyin Products
  33. Afroveda
  34. hairveda
  35. Claudio St. James
  36. Global Beauty
  37. Black magic (for men)
  38. Kizure hair products
  39. Mr. Leonardo hair products
  40. Princess Kayla's Natty locks
  41. Wonder Gro hair products
  42. Tukka Naturals
  43. Lotus by Alesia is Black owned.
  44. Oh and Rajeeyah Sweet Naturals
  45. Cream & Coco
  46. Curls
  47. Shea Butter Cottage
  48. Karen's Body Beautiful

I think Boundless Tresses is now defunct. The owner used to post here. Go pop you some popcorn and do a search! Comedy!!!

MilkChocolateOne

But white women complain about hating their hair all the time.

I don't know if you are purposely being contrary or just obtuse. So are you blatantly ignoring history, context, nuances and sensitivity? So how many white children with blond, red, wavy or straight hair were prevented from attending school for wearing hairstyles that are best fit for their natural hair? How many were denied employment opportunities because of their hair? How many white women were told by their job that their natural hair was considered unkempt, dirty, a distraction or unprofessional? Are there are rules or regulations in place that makes it difficult for them to wear their hair in it's natural state? So how many white women have had their hair chemically altered by their parents at a young age (as young as 2 and 3 years old) because their hair was considered ugly, bad, unmanageable, etc....

nubiangoddess3

:confused:This was s horrible interview. Charlemagne does not get the point of the outrage and nobody is doing a good job of making the point clear. They should of had people call in. Angela is talking about she is still rocking with SM:confused:

Sheamoisture has made a bad situation worst. The founder kept blaming it on black women being upset about shemoisture expanding. Then he went into stating that black women shouldn't take away from the million scholarship shemositure offer to the community and in Africa.

He should have stayed home. He did nothing to help the situation. I can't wait to see this quarter and next quarter income statements.

Also Note this fool ( the founder) stated that the commercial didn't go through the appropriate approvals. Who does he think believes that nonsense. Shemoisture current strategy is to get away from being just for black women, and black hair. Anyone can tell, base off their recent ads, ( the ethnic section ad, and this white/mix women hair stuggles). Shemoisture should be happy, they are getting what they wanted, to not be a black hair company.

HappilyLiberal

I don't know if you are purposely being contrary or just obtuse. So are you blatantly ignoring history, context, nuances and sensitivity? So how many white children with blond, red, wavy or straight hair were prevented from attending school for wearing hairstyles that are best fit for their natural hair? How many were denied employment opportunities because of their hair? How many white women were told by their job that their natural hair was considered unkempt, dirty, a distraction or unprofessional? Are there are rules or regulations in place that makes it difficult for them to wear their hair in it's natural state? So how many white women have had their hair chemically altered by their parents at a young age (as young as 2 and 3 years old) because their hair was considered ugly, bad, unmanageable, etc....
:thankyou: I'm sitting here thinking this :censored: doesn't want to get it!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
im offended. appalled even. perhaps verging on outrage. not for the commercials per se, but because of SM's trashing of a bw theater owner, using her for their own aggrandizement, using their bw ancestor's image to gain from bw, and this particular owner's obvious disdain of the women in general who share his racial experience in this world. im really done with bm like this.
How many people are actually offended and how many others are just joining the bandwagon?

Evolving78

Sheamoisture has made a bad situation worst. The founder kept blaming it on black women being upset about shemoisture expanding. Then he went into stating that black women shouldn't take away from the million scholarship shemositure offer to the community and in Africa.

He should have stayed home. He did nothing to help the situation. I can't wait to see this quarter and next quarter income statements.

Also Note this fool ( the founder) stated that the commercial didn't go through the appropriate approvals. Who does he think believes that nonsense. Shemoisture current strategy is to get away from being just for black women, and black hair. Anyone can tell, base off their recent ads, ( the ethnic section ad, and this white/mix women hair stuggles). Shemoisture should be happy, they are getting what they wanted, to not be a black hair company.
I'm not gonna watch his interview. I have seen enough with my own eyes and their branding for awhile to not fall for the okie dokie. If they want to diverse from us, then we collectively need to divest.

beingofserenity

im offended. appalled even. perhaps verging on outrage. not for the commercials per se, but because of SM's trashing of a bw theater owner, using her for their own aggrandizement, using their bw ancestor's image to gain from bw, and this particular owner's obvious disdain of the women in general who share his racial experience in this world. im really done with bm like this.

Those are legitimate reasons to be upset with SM. I can't say I agree that the owner has a disdain for black women, though.

I personally want to see the company continue to grow. Maybe they'll use this f-up as an opportunity and recruit black women in those higher positions. Maybe they can turn it around. They're in NYC, I was thinking of applying there for a job.

IronButterfly

See, this is why ppl don't want to deal with (certain) black women. EVERY GOTTAME THING HAS TO BE A CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE.

This is a freaking hair product! It has nothing to do with anyone being kicked out of school, denied access to sit in the front of the bus or denied employment. It is and has been sold in places like ULTA and TARGET for awhile giving everyone who shops ULTA access to it.

I mean, when was the last time SM showed up at a BLM rally or publicly defended a black child against school discrimination or bailed a wrongly accused somebody out of jail? Did SM ever stand up for Trayvon Martin, Philando Castile or Sandra Bland?

Better yet, when did they ever pledge their undying loyalty to black women and black dollars?

So, whether you like it or not, when it comes to the insignificant things in life, like a hair product, ww have voices and insecurities, too. White women hate their hair, think they're fat and envy bronze skin. And capitalistic ventures are going to cash in on it.

Swear, some of ya'll act like you were married to SM and he just up and divorced you for a white girl. SMDH

Crystalicequeen123

This messaging didn't sit well with Black women who noticed the absence of women with darker skin and courser textures. On Twitter and Facebook, they've expressed their disapproval.

Read more: http://theculture.forharriet.com/2017/04/black-women-call-new-sheamoisture-ad.html#ixzz4fCOLKaQc
Follow us: @ForHarriet on Twitter | forharriet on Facebook

Wow..... Such a disgrace. :ohwell:

I don't blame people for being upset. It's clear they have erased us from their "user base", even though WE make up like 90% of the hair care industry revenue.

Ugh, don't even get me started. :mad:

Who has ever seen a white woman use shea moisture?

That's probably the whole point...NOBODY.

Hence the reason for this "campaign". :rolleyes: Now that they are a billion dollar company, they're trying to reach across the aisles to "others", but they are alienating their HOME base while they do it.

Anyway, doesn't bother me too much because I've never really been a HUGE fan of Shea Moisture anyway. I used to love them, but over time I found that not all of their products really work well for me and my hair. I find some of their shampoos a bit stripping, and now that I mostly just use mud wash and every now and then African Black Soap to wash my hair, I find that I don't even need to resort to big-hair-care line shampoos anymore.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón

Nobody truly cares if he expands or not but we all know that wasn't the way to do it. I was thinking about his comment on not knowing how this got past him. Lol. Seriously? This was a major business change and he threw someone under the bus in the press? And this continuing blame game against Black women for jumping ship AND for having an opinion is just too much. If he had just frankly apologized, ok but he's further damaging his image and blaming BW for nothing . We don't have to buy his products and if we don't want to, doesn't mean we're bad people.

naheda72

and for the only good hair product they ever made

Ha!!! This is the first Shea Moisture product I ever owned. Bought it once and could never find it again. I don't like any of their products now and in discussion with my husband I was trying to explain to him this product and how it was the only one I purchased worth anything. They are probably too big to make something like this anymore.