Black Women Express Outrage Over New "tone Deaf," "white-washed" Sheamoisture Ad

FelaShrine

I understand and am not arguing for or against that.

I still think that particular ads' wording in the script came across as forced. That's my opinion.

Eh, it's not my battle as I've gotten the majority of my Shea Moisture products in gift bags and only used the lotions and soaps. But, as I previously said, the "whining" is indicative of a deeper issue that I won't address now. I will say that I find the whole idea of the "natural hair movement," the obession with hair typing, the "my hair is a struggle and deserves special attention" narrative along with other things to be ... rudimentary and exhausting. This Shea Moisture fallout and responses to it is an example.

Again, I think black businesses should get money! You are right about fashion houses. Black women were running around spending their last dime on Prada items when it hadn't featured a black model in its show in over a decade.

Lot of scripts are forced, that particular ad wasn't meant for me so the lines are none of my business. The other ads they made I more than relate to. It's especially whiny especially when people have taken it upon themselves to harass you tubers and bloggers on their platforms like lunatics for 1. "not a quick enough response" 2. "not a response they believe is good enough in their eyes" 3. Not showing a video of themselves foaming at the mouth at Shea Moisture and a clip of them throwing their stuff in the trash.
Supposedly all for black women yet Naptural who is expecting is supposed to leave coins despite doing an ad with them with her own experience. They're supposedly for black women getting money yet upset that this particular one isn't behaving like they believe she should, lets pretend she does have affiliation with them, y'all gonna give her the money by breaking her contract? and I repeat this coming from the same bloody people who just 2-3 weeks ago were bragging that in their own business or their soon to be businesses they will parlay money towards getting white staff so it won't mess with their cash flow, yes because giving opportunities to black sales people would ruin their coins..but God Forbid others do the same and try to protect their money.

Not to mention Marc Jacobs/Guerlain/JefferreStar/Kardashians have said questionable ish about black people in general yet if you go to MU forum people still there listing products they've bought RECENTLY from these brands. Im sure people are deluding themselves with the "but we expect that from white people"..ok so the correct thing is to still give them your money? They're the ones worthy of "forgiveness" huh. lol whatever
#notbuyingthefauxoutrage

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Yea I just can't be bothered with what other people choose to support or not.
I just know I will no longer support or suggest Shade moisture.

Black women should #getmoney however they choose to.

I'm not mad at Naptural85 or any other blogger.

I generally don't follow internet "gurus" suggestions either way.

If I'm truly looking for something of substance and need suggestions, I usually chk with people IRL or on LHCF for real unbiased reviews.

YouTube is the last check point (so I can see performance in action).

BK Bombshell

Yes ma'am it is. Nubian Heritage also had a small arse little location on Flatbush in BK baaack in the day. We were buying from them back then...they sold books, oils, incense and a whole bunch of other stuff along with their bar soaps, lotions and things too. They truly are trippin in this situation. I love that their expanding, but to include white women with straight hair (nary a Jew fro in sight) in our narrative of struggle with our hair is not ok.

I was trying to remember where I saw that store. Was it on Fulton near Flatbush almost across from the McDonalds?

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Camille Rose!!! My hair shrinks bad. This help elongate my curls so much. Twist/perm rods sets are so defined with it. I found my holy grail in natural products and will no longer "cheat" LOL. That is the only thing I buy now outside of Keracare.
which Camille Rose product are you referring to here ?

naturalagain2

which Camille Rose product are you referring to here ?

The Almond Jai Twisting butter & Aloe Whipped Butter Gel - I usually use these two together (very little) and I always use the leave in too, curl love moisture milk. Other times I use the leave in and the curl maker. My twist/ perm rod sets stay defined with either of these no matter the weather. My hair usually turns into a puff ball in humidity once I go outside but not with her products. They stay defined without shrinkage which means a lot to me because I have MASSIVE shrinkage.

Tefnut

Yes, lots of scripts are forced but we're talking about that Shea Moisture ad and that was my observation. I know the industry and have an idea how that came about. I know white women who have hair issues but it's my opinion that that ad was trash. I don't think an ad or any subject for that matter has to be aimed at a person's specific need in order for them to recognize that it's flawed. I hope people are more well-rounded than this.

See, you're more aware of the situation than I am. I didn't know that YTers were being harrassed. I saw a couple of news reports and a few FB posts. I think people should do what works for them. If it works for you to still buy and support Shea Moisture, do it. If it works best for you to discontinue or never begin purchasing the products, then don't. It's pretty simple.

I remember when Shea Moisture and Nubian Heritage from the early days. These brands were made specifically for black women. and black men in mind. It's not a secret. They were sponsors at many events and most of the Shea Moisture products I own were from gift bags. Nonblack people weren't checking for them in the way that blacks were, which was fine since that was these companies' aim. These company built their brands off of black people. I understand that they want to expand and make more money. They should. But if black men and black women feel marginalized and excluded by Shea Moisture and Nubian Heritage's efforts, they have a right to stop giving them their money. I don't see why this is a problem.

I think the ad rubbed people the wrong way because it isn't uncommon for new or struggling entities to build their brands off of black people and then abandon them when they want to get support from the mainstream (aka white people). Shea Moisture and Nubian Heritage saw a need and fulfilled it for the black community. Now they are ignoring that community with silly ads and changed formulations for their mainstream audience. There's a sophisticate way to handle this and Sundial missed the mark. Completely.

Also, are you American?

Lot of scripts are forced, that particular ad wasn't meant for me so the lines are none of my business. The other ads they made I more than relate to. It's especially whiny especially when people have taken it upon themselves to harass you tubers and bloggers on their platforms like lunatics for 1. "not a quick enough response" 2. "not a response they believe is good enough in their eyes" 3. Not showing a video of themselves foaming at the mouth at Shea Moisture and a clip of them throwing their stuff in the trash.
Supposedly all for black women yet Naptural who is expecting is supposed to leave coins despite doing an ad with them with her own experience. They're supposedly for black women getting money yet upset that this particular one isn't behaving like they believe she should, lets pretend she does have affiliation with them, y'all gonna give her the money by breaking her contract? and I repeat this coming from the same bloody people who just 2-3 weeks ago were bragging that in their own business or their soon to be businesses they will parlay money towards getting white staff so it won't mess with their cash flow, yes because giving opportunities to black sales people would ruin their coins..but God Forbid others do the same and try to protect their money.

Not to mention Marc Jacobs/Guerlain/JefferreStar/Kardashians have said questionable ish about black people in general yet if you go to MU forum people still there listing products they've bought RECENTLY from these brands. Im sure people are deluding themselves with the "but we expect that from white people"..ok so the correct thing is to still give them your money? They're the ones worthy of "forgiveness" huh. lol whatever
#notbuyingthefauxoutrage

Last edited:

CodeRed

I repeat this coming from the same bloody people who just 2-3 weeks ago were bragging that in their own business or their soon to be businesses they will parlay money towards getting white staff so it won't mess with their cash flow, yes because giving opportunities to black sales people would ruin their coins..but God Forbid others do the same and try to protect their money.

Lordt... I haven't read much between page one and this last one but this right here... is why I stay out of a lot of forums on this site. My WTF lines would be so much deeper looking at this forum if I didn't.

aquajoyice

This gif never gets old. :lol:

FelaShrine

Yes, lots of scripts are forced but we're talking about that Shea Moisture ad and that was my observation. I know the industry and have an idea how that came about. I know white women who have hair issues but it's my opinion that that ad was trash. I don't think an ad or any subject for that matter has to be aimed at a person's specific need in order for them to recognize that it's flawed. I hope people are more well-rounded than this.

See, you're more aware of the situation than I am. I didn't know that YTers were being harrassed. I saw a couple of news reports and a few FB posts. I think people should do what works for them. If it works for you to still buy and support Shea Moisture, do it. If it works best for you to discontinue or never begin purchasing the products, then don't. It's pretty simple.

I remember when Shea Moisture and Nubian Heritage from the early days. These brands were made specifically for black women. and black men in mind. It's not a secret. They were sponsors at many events and most of the Shea Moisture products I own were from gift bags. Nonblack people weren't checking for them in the way that blacks were, which was fine since that was these companies' aim. These company built their brands off of black people. I understand that they want to expand and make more money. They should. But if black men and black women feel marginalized and excluded by Shea Moisture and Nubian Heritage's efforts, they have a right to stop giving them their money. I don't see why this is a problem.

I think the ad rubbed people the wrong way because it isn't uncommon for new or struggling entities to build their brands off of black people and then abandon them when they want to get support from the mainstream (aka white people). Shea Moisture and Nubian Heritage saw a need and fulfilled it for the black community. Now they are ignoring that community with silly ads and changed formulations for their mainstream audience. There's a sophisticate way to handle this and Sundial missed the mark. Completely.

Also, are you American?

How are they ignoring anyone is there are multiple ads including one with naptural? As for your question, I don't know. wanna guess? If people don't wanna buy from them, thats their business, who says there's a "problem"?..like I said Im just not buying the fake outrage. Thats my right. Not sure why you feel the need to convince me?

and yes you tubers are being harassed, even Jackie aina had to put a disclaimer saying that while future Shea Moisture purchases will probably be "cancelled" she will continue to use their bronzer cos its the best one she has that isn't red and fits her skin tone and therefore people should stop coming at her for using it in her videos. ain no one doing that crap to black you tubers using the new Marc Jacobs gel in their videos.

FelaShrine

Lordt... I haven't read much between page one and this last one but this right here... is why I stay out of a lot of forums on this site. My WTF lines would be so much deeper looking at this forum if I didn't.

You missed that thread? Anyway main reason why I find this whole thing laughable.

Tefnut

Miss, why would I need to convince you of anything?

We've been conversing over the past few days and I was stating my points just as you. Were you trying to convince me to change my position? I hope not because whether or not you support what I said is truly of no consequence to me. I take that it's the same for you, no?

*sigh*

Yeah, you seem to be agitated based on your latest reply. So I'm going to just end the conversation here. Make it a great day, ma'am!

How are they ignoring anyone is there are multiple ads including one with naptural? As for your question, I don't know. wanna guess? If people don't wanna buy from them, thats their business, who says there's a "problem"?..like I said Im just not buying the fake outrage. Thats my right. Not sure why you feel the need to convince me?

and yes you tubers are being harassed, even Jackie aina had to put a disclaimer saying that while future Shea Moisture purchases will probably be "cancelled" she will continue to use their bronzer cos its the best one she has that isn't red and fits her skin tone and therefore people should stop coming at her for using it in her videos. ain no one doing that crap to black you tubers using the new Marc Jacobs gel in their videos.

FelaShrine

Miss, why would I need to convince you of anything?

well for one, You keep repeating the same thing. when I already said people not wanting to mess with Shea Moisture is none my business, I just don't buy the hoopla..instead of just accepting that you keep ranting about how you only use the shea moisture you get in gift bags :blah: :blah: (not sure why I need to know that..multiple times)which clearly means you've never given them your money anyway, ad or not, plus dont know what your question about me being american has to do with the issue. naptural is american, does that change anything?

We're obviously not meant to agree on this so it's whatever. Good Day.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I don't know why SM's staffing looks the way it does and why that black male CEO's mouth is arrogant toward black customers in taking them for granted and basically saying we should be grateful for all SM has made possible. But I know I'm working on not sending money SM's way. I don't mind SM expanding. I don't even mind the pretentious commercial. I just refuse to enrich disrespectful folks. I feel disrespected when I see that staff and hear this man's mouth.

LovelyGirl

Back to Long Hair
I am not buying SM products. I did not like the commercial. It watered down what the rival of the natural hair movement meant to me. The hair dislike is not the same as hair hate. There are a lot more productive ways to be inclusive to all people that also includes black women.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I don't know why SM's staffing looks the way it does and why that black male CEO's mouth is arrogant toward black customers in taking them for granted and basically saying we should be grateful for all SM has made possible. But I know I'm working on not sending money SM's way. I don't mind SM expanding. I don't even mind the pretentious commercial. I just refuse to enrich disrespectful folks. I feel disrespected when I see that staff and hear this man's mouth.

All of this unfortunately.

I remember when I could only get their products via street vendors in Harlem, Nicholas in Harlem or at the summer street fairs on Saturday only and at the store previously mentioned in Brooklyn. Then, you could only get their products in the DR/Wal.greens/RA in the hoods for a good minute. Then "certain" whole paychecks (for 10.99 before they were really mainstream) and last vitamin.shoppe when they were on sale weekly.

SM made it very possible, but somewhere along the line, something that was going right went kinda wrong.

I'm very tempted to take all my sh..... back to tar.get and get my money's back. I could only imagine what message would be sent if more people did that?

andromeda

All of this unfortunately.

I remember when I could only get their products via street vendors in Harlem, Nicholas in Harlem or at the summer street fairs on Saturday only and at the store previously mentioned in Brooklyn. Then, you could only get their products in the DR/Wal.greens/RA in the hoods for a good minute. Then "certain" whole paychecks (for 10.99 before they were really mainstream) and last vitamin.shoppe when they were on sale weekly.

SM made it very possible, but somewhere along the line, something that was going right went kinda wrong.

I'm very tempted to take all my sh..... back to tar.get and get my money's back. I could only imagine what message would be sent if more people did that?
I have yet to go to Nicholas new bed stuy location but I'm going to ask if they're considering no longer carrying them. They're so conscious and so is their clientele, so this must be on their radar. Wonder if they've commented on IG

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I have yet to go to Nicholas new bed stuy location but I'm going to ask if they're considering no longer carrying them. They're so conscious and so is their clientele, so this must be on their radar. Wonder if they've commented on IG

Idk. Rich used to be his direct connect if I'm correct. That's why he was able to keep his prices low.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Wow...I just watched the ad...smh...so glad I replaced them w/Kinky Curly and DevaCurl over a year ago. Something about them coming out w/new products every other week turned me off, and I also wanted to get away from butters.
I got turned off by Shea Moisture months ago when my favorites started disappearing off the shelves at Target to make space for their ever expanding number of lines. It looked like a developing monopoly to me so this "outrage" is right on time for me. Hopefully I can start finding my staples otg again.
It's slowly happening. Pretty soon the price will be greatly reduced. View attachment 397461
Forget reducing the prices, reduce that shelf space so I can find brands I actually want in the store.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Again: The "Bain Capital" (Mi.tt Ro.mney) Philosophy:
Reformulate using cheaper ingredients
Totally Over Saturate the Market
Weaken and Cheapen "the Brand"
Make your investment monies on the front end and GET OUT:eek:

How many companies did say 'claim' good ol' Mittens bankrupted?:look:

Wasn't that one of his claims to fame as a "venture capitalist"?:look:

SM will ultimately pay the price for this one.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Romney has not been involved with Bain Capital since 2002, although he and his family do get passive income from the company's investments. Can we stop mentioning him? So sick of seeing his name.

Rich would have done what he did with another investment firm, nonblack owned.
@Sharpened
This is all true. I was just using his name for reference re: venture capitalism, bankrupting companies etc.....

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside
I'm confused: Since this ad was part of a series, were all the parts released together or separately? Was there any notice beforehand that this ad was going to be part of a set? Where can I see the rest of the series?