Black Women Express Outrage Over New "tone Deaf," "white-washed" Sheamoisture Ad

fuchsiastar

I don't feel outraged. The title of this thread contains that word. Outrage is way too strong. What I feel is taken for granted, uncomfortable supporting someone who doesn't seem to think much of me, and accountable for NOT helping to enrich these people.

Yes, this is exactly where I am at also. The CEO's mouth and responses are what got me like "nah, no thanks!" ...not the existence of the commercial. The lil "hair hate" tag line I kinda rolled my eyes at, but I've seen and experienced worse race-based overtures personally just this week, so meh. I don't spend a lot of time on youtube, so I can't speak to what happens on there. But what I do.know.for.sure is that I don't spend my financial resources knowingly on places that are rude. I haven't spent money in a Kohls for over 20 years over some stuff that happened when I was a pre-teen in there, plus I'm a scorpio so I can hold a grudge...lol....#neverforget #RudeMouthedCEO #PologizeForYourIshHeaux

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yes, this is exactly where I am at also. The CEO's mouth and responses are what got me like "nah, no thanks!" ...not the existence of the commercial. The lil "hair hate" tag line I kinda rolled my eyes at, but I've seen and experienced worse race-based overtures personally just this week, so meh. I don't spend a lot of time on youtube, so I can't speak to what happens on there. But what I do.know.for.sure is that I don't spend my financial resources knowingly on places that are rude. I haven't spent money in a Kohls for over 20 years over some stuff that happened when I was a pre-teen in there, plus I'm a scorpio so I can hold a grudge...lol....#neverforget #RudeMouthedCEO #PologizeForYourIshHeaux

:yep:

Mm hmmm. Fellow Scorpio here. I was fine until that mouth. Then the pic of the staff. That combo brought out the Scorpio in me QUICKLY. He don't need NONE of these coins!!! None.

BlueEra

I'm confused: Since this ad was part of a series, were all the parts released together or separately? Was there any notice beforehand that this ad was going to be part of a set? Where can I see the rest of the series?

There are different commercials in the series. In fact, the first one in the series was actually released at the end of March, weeks before the one that caused the uproar debuted. However, I don't think very many people were aware of it, including myself, until they pinned the older one to the top of their Facebook page...almost as if to say, "see, we DID think of the rest of you!" They completely failed this campaign. Furthermore, it just rubs me the wrong way that their social media manager, who is the main person consistently responding to user comments about the products, can't even relate to the hair struggles of their main audience. Out of all of the social media and digital marketing professionals out there, including myself, you mean to tell me you couldn't find a single qualified Black woman or man to represent the voice of your brand in a more fluid, authentic way? Whatever.

I didn't really use too many of the products so I won't be missing it too much. I had already began looking for other products to try prior to this. The only one that I ever bough consistently was the curl enhancing smoothie because it made my hear feel so soft, but now it does nothing for my hair and I'm assuming it's because of the formula changes that everyone is talking about.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Well, well, well, if not already posted, he's hurt and sorry about it. Hmmm, of course, because we hit his bottom line...$$$ She works in the media and sat in on the CEO phone call/meeting. I expected her to give more info on actual points and facts raised by the CEO and less opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------
People at Sundial saying that Whites have the key positions at Shea Moisture and Nubian Heritage.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm glad there was absolutely nothing in this line that was a staple for me or that I relied on.

There's way too many other product lines out there and lines at their price point too to worry about SM. Stuff that is just as easily accessible now.

So let Becky 'Nem have it. They can have their products and their high paying jobs.