Black Women Hair & Media (discussion)

Missi

I makes me happy: seeing all the ladies on different hair boards taking steps to better care for their hair.

Its past the principle of achieving long hair: its about having healthy hair: and yet I seet the token black women on commercials and stuff with JACKED up hair. it looks uncombed: damaged: or its natural & unkept ......is it just me looking too much into this: or is it the media.

Ladies i'm on a mission (may take yrs to process) of creating a magazine for young black females. Essence is for older females & young white teens have tons of mags cater to them. I will never have women w/ jacked up hair advertising in my mag (like those Dr. Miracle ads)...... WHOA!!! I feel better :dighole:

ladylibra

art reflects life. IMO there are too many black women in real life with jacked up hair, so the companies are just playing on that to sell their products.

i love your idea though! it's encouraging to see positivity and i think important for other young black girls/women to see that weaves are a styling option and not a necessity. you can have beautiful, healthy hair growing out of your own scalp (whether you're natural or relaxed).

memee1978

art reflects life. IMO there are too many black women in real life with jacked up hair, so the companies are just playing on that to sell their products.

i love your idea though! it's encouraging to see positivity and i think important for other young black girls/women to see that weaves are a styling option and not a necessity. you can have beautiful, healthy hair growing out of your own scalp (whether you're natural or relaxed).
i agree 10 percent.happy hair day girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Pheonixx

COSIGN...
1. There are plenty of sistas with jacked up hair. There's nothing wrong with saying that. It's the truth.... Beside that they have commercials with white women displaying their hair problems (dryness, dullnes, frayed ends). Do you know why? Because--everyone has hair problems... Not just 'us'.

2. I think your ideas are great MIZZI...I love ppl who DREAM! I get tired of reading these magazines with these sista celebs talking about all that they do to keep their natural hair looking fabulous and know doggone well e'ry last one of them heffas got a dern lacefront! :grin:

Anywho I'm be serious. Y'know--
I'm with you MIZZI but it's just that....black folks have a tendency to focus on 'Gloom and Doom' scenarios and experiences. Always on the negative tip.
I'm not saying you in particular MIZZI. I do understand where you're comin from. It's not a slap against you, per se.
It's kind of a generalized comment I make based on this topic and my perceptions, because-- it seems as if, anytime you get around black folks and the conversation turns to black folks---it's always about 'what's going wrong with us' or 'what IS wrong with us'.
or 'How we differ from everyone else'.

Allow me to attempt to clarify on this a lil bit. I'ma use an example from this board so that we both know what we're talking about.
Ok:

There's always somebody creating a thread to compare our hair with White Women.
I think, for a few sistas in here, that white women truly are 'the standards' to aspire towards.
Ya'll can say what you want to. Why the needless comparisons? Most other ethnicities have straight long hair. But ppl specifically discuss and compare our hair to the hair of White Women. ...everybody wanna talk about white women! :grin: :ohwell: As if they're tryin to measure up to them. How sad...and kind of embarrassing.

LOL I know--a couple days ago, somebody started a thread :grin:about how everyone has hair problems. I mean--duh:lachen:...but whatever I understood the purpose.
The funny thing was ppl were acting shocked that White Women had hair problems, too!! :perplexed (AGAIN I dunno how white women even became the main focus!).
The name of the thread escapes me, but one of the posters posted a link to the white long hair care forum. And some of the females were like "Well....I guess they do have hair problems. Just like 'us'....."
Ok, so--after I finished laughing, I was lookin at the thread like, :lachen:"
...the hell? Where do some of you live? Who. Moved.The. Rocks? Who. Popped.The. Bubbles? Do ya'll mingle with... 'actual' people in the outside world? "

I have other examples but I'ma let it ride.
My point is, it seems as if ppl go out of their way to negatively distinguish black hair from the hair of every other race of ppl on this planet.
I'm not trying to front like I'm some 'blacker than thou' conscious afrocentrist.
But--REAL TALK....
a 'bad' chick doesn't waste her time comparing herself to other females. As if to say "Do I measure up to her?"
You leave that to the broads with no self-esteem or get-up about themselves....
I
f you actually believe your hair is beautiful--that 'Black is Beautiful' then there'd be no need to compare our hair to 'other' hair. (particularly white women's hair.) There'd be no need to act like you can somehow validate your black beauty through pointless (and transparent, mind you) comparisons...
Our hair is different...obviously. Does Different automatically =Bad though?
Do we really have to start a thread about how different it is (again...)? I thought we concluded that's precisely what made it so beautiful. Apparently not.

Overall, I'm not saying let's ignore things. I'm just saying....let's stop pointing out what is wrong with US. Let's focus on the positive for once! Let's talk about what's going right with us.:yep:

Yeah--Dr Miracle is out. But, besides Dr Miracle what other negative advertising comes to mind that cast 'our' hair in a negative light?
For one,
as far as I'm concerned, most times I see sistas in the media and on tv they have gorgeous hair.
I guess I'm the only one who has noticed that they put wayyyy more natural heads in these commercials than relaxed (Especially Mcdonalds's:ohwell:...but there are others--I don't even know where to begin)? I've seen ALL levels of natural hair from kinky clouds to waves to curls.

We have Dr Miracle. But--
What about the Garnier commericals? I see YaYa (america's next top model) rockin some cute spirals. She is always in their commercials.

What about the Pantene Relaxed and Naturals Commercials?
There's 2 of them. 4 sistas different lengths and there is no weave to be seen.
There is a sista with long MBL or BSL length hair in there just sashaying and flipping that hair all over over the camera! Also, Bre (america's next Top Model) was in that commercial rocking a very full SL.

What about Olive Oil and Optimum advertisements.
What about Mizani?

I mean yeah--Dr Miracle is out but where else do you see his advertisements except BET (which ain't surprising by the way--which is why I'm constantly boycotting BET. They tryin and it's wayyy better than that nonsense they had on, say--3-8 yrs ago. But half the time they still don't peddle nothing but 'coon-ery' to the masses....sorry, for all who don't agree. But whatever--been a long time since BET was F.U.B.U (for us; by us). It isn't an opinion that's likely to change. Because BET isn't just some rinky dink 'black MTV 'type music channel. That was not the original purpose. I expect more from a channel that calls itself representing 'US'. Just the way I feel about it.)

Anyway...the general population doesn't even know who the hell Dr Miracle is! :grin:
Please--when's the last time ya'll saw a Dr Miracle ad in Vogue or Cosmo or Essence...or any other REPUTABLE mainstream (black or gen. pop.) magazine? They advertise in BLACK HAIR magazines just like they advertise on BLACK TV STATIONS (which AGAIN is sad...but that's how it is for now).

To a larger extent...it's expected. It is what's it's gon be. BEcause
we live in a capitalistic society. We aren't the only people these advertisers target to make money off of.
...and the advertisements won't go away. So long as there is a demand.
So long as there are ppl out there who buy the products.
And I know a few ppl who will see a commercial like Dr Miracle and believe that maybe those products could somehow make their hair healthier/grow/stop breakage, etc....
They're just ignorant--but used in this context, it's not meant as an insult. Because we were/are all ignorant of something... at one time or another.

ladylibra

COSIGN...
1. There are plenty of sistas with jacked up hair. There's nothing wrong with saying that. It's the truth.... Beside that they have commercials with white women displaying their hair problems (dryness, dullnes, frayed ends). Do you know why? Because--everyone has hair problems... Not just 'us'.

2. I think your ideas are great MIZZI...I love ppl who DREAM! I get tired of reading these magazines with these sista celebs talking about all that they do to keep their natural hair looking fabulous and know doggone well e'ry last one of them heffas got a dern lacefront! :grin:

I'm with you MIZZI but it's just that....black folks have a tendency to focus on 'Gloom and Doom' scenarios and experiences. Always on the negative tip.
I'm not saying you in particular MIZZI. I do understand where you're comin from. It's not a slap against you, per se.
It's kind of a generalized comment I make based on this topic and my perceptions, because-- it seems as if, anytime you get around black folks and the conversation turns to black folks---it's always about 'what's going wrong with us' or 'what IS wrong with us'.

Allow me to attempt to clarify on this a lil bit. I'ma use an example from this board so that we both know what we're talking about.
Ok:

I think, for a few sistas in here, that white women truly are 'the standards' to aspire towards.
Ya'll can say what you want to. Why the needless comparisons? Most other ethnicities have straight long hair. But ppl specifically discuss and compare our hair to the hair of White Women. ...everybody wanna talk about white women! :grin: :ohwell: As if they're tryin to measure up to them. How sad...and kind of embarrassing.

LOL I know--a couple days ago, somebody started a thread :grin:about how everyone has hair problems. I mean--duh:lachen:...but whatever I understood the purpose.
The funny thing was ppl were acting shocked that White Women had hair problems, too!! :perplexed (AGAIN I dunno how white women even became the main focus!).
The name of the thread escapes me, but one of the posters posted a link to the white long hair care forum. And some of the females were like "Well....I guess they do have hair problems. Just like 'us'....."
...the hell? Where do some of you live? Who. Moved.The. Rocks? Who. Popped.The. Bubbles? Do ya'll mingle with... 'actual' people in the outside world? "

My point is, it seems as if ppl go out of their way to negatively distinguish black hair from the hair of every other race of ppl on this planet.
I'm not trying to front like I'm some 'blacker than thou' conscious afrocentrist.
But--REAL TALK....
a 'bad' chick doesn't waste her time comparing herself to other females. As if to say "Do I measure up to her?"
I
f you actually believe your hair is beautiful--that 'Black is Beautiful' then there'd be no need to compare our hair to 'other' hair. (particularly white women's hair.) There'd be no need to act like you can somehow validate your black beauty through pointless (and transparent, mind you) comparisons...
Do we really have to start a thread about how different it is (again...)? I thought we concluded that's precisely what made it so beautiful. Apparently not.

Overall, I'm not saying let's ignore things. I'm just saying....let's stop pointing out what is wrong with US. Let's focus on the positive for once! Let's talk about what's going right with us.:yep:

Yeah--Dr Miracle is out. But, besides Dr Miracle what other negative advertising comes to mind that cast 'our' hair in a negative light?
For one,
as far as I'm concerned, most times I see sistas in the media and on tv they have gorgeous hair.
I guess I'm the only one who has noticed that they put wayyyy more natural heads in these commercials than relaxed (Especially Mcdonalds's:ohwell:...but there are others--I don't even know where to begin)? I've seen ALL levels of natural hair from kinky clouds to waves to curls.

What about the Garnier commericals? I see YaYa (america's next top model) rockin some cute spirals. She is always in their commercials.

There is a sista with long MBL or BSL length hair in there just sashaying and flipping that hair all over over the camera! Also, Bre (america's next Top Model) was in that commercial rocking a very full SL.

What about Mizani?

I mean yeah--Dr Miracle is out but where else do you see his advertisements except BET (which ain't surprising by the way--which is why I'm constantly boycotting BET. They tryin and it's wayyy better than that nonsense they had on, say--3-8 yrs ago. But half the time they still don't peddle nothing but 'coon-ery' to the masses....sorry, for all who don't agree. But whatever--been a long time since BET was F.U.B.U (for us; by us). It isn't an opinion that's likely to change. Because BET isn't just some rinky dink 'black MTV 'type music channel. That was not the original purpose. I expect more from a channel that calls itself representing 'US'. Just the way I feel about it.)

Anyway...the general population doesn't even know who the hell Dr Miracle is! :grin:
Please--when's the last time ya'll saw a Dr Miracle ad in Vogue or Cosmo or Essence...or any other REPUTABLE mainstream (black or gen. pop.) magazine? They advertise in BLACK HAIR magazines just like they advertise on BLACK TV STATIONS (which AGAIN is sad...but that's how it is for now).

we live in a capitalistic society. We aren't the only people these advertisers target to make money off of.
And I know a few ppl who will see a commercial like Dr Miracle and believe that maybe those products could somehow make their hair healthier/grow/stop breakage, etc....
They're just ignorant--but used in this context, it's not meant as an insult. Because we were/are all ignorant of something... at one time or another.

AMEN TO EVERYTHING SIS!!! :clap:

Christa438

I makes me happy: seeing all the ladies on different hair boards taking steps to better care for their hair.

Its past the principle of achieving long hair: its about having healthy hair: and yet I seet the token black women on commercials and stuff with JACKED up hair. it looks uncombed: damaged: or its natural & unkept ......is it just me looking too much into this: or is it the media.

Ladies i'm on a mission (may take yrs to process) of creating a magazine for young black females. Essence is for older females & young white teens have tons of mags cater to them. I will never have women w/ jacked up hair advertising in my mag (like those Dr. Miracle ads)...... WHOA!!! I feel better :dighole:

Hey Missi, I would buy the magazine! I love looking at magazines for hair, fashion...(Most black women I see on commercials have pretty hair but I notice that they are mostly naturals.)

My only suggestion for your magazine would be that you get across the point to these younger readers that Health should be a HUGE focus when caring for hair whether relaxed/natural. :yawn:

You can try all the products/growth aids in the world but til you really start taking care of your hair, you will not get the results you want. I see magazines mention health, but it is only like a sentence about it here and there. I think there should be more said about how health is the most important factor of haircare. A lot of companies are getting paid (some are misleading acting like the product will turn damaged breaking HAM hair into like princess jasmine's hair) and women are not happy after using a product which is probably just a waste anyway. More women out in the world need to understand that these companies cant take care of your hair for you and they cant bottle " hair health" and sell it to you. That's something you have to achieve/ work for if you dont already have it.

RegaLady

COSIGN...

Ok:

But--REAL TALK....
I

For one,

What about Mizani?

Agreed, and lets not forget the pretty, black women in the news media, aka, Tamron Hall(MSNBC) and other news programs with healthy, short hair!:grin:

RegaLady

I also loveeee fashion magazines! There were some that came out, Suade, and Vibe Vixen. I bought most of them!

RegaLady

Just because there isn't numerous black women with longgggg, straight hair, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Who cares who we don't impress through tv, and the media! It may be a reflection on us, it may not be! But, we really shouldn't be soooo consumed that there are women on tv with jacked up hair. Also, white people know other white people, and I am sure to a white woman she can spot ugly strands a mile away, on a white woman on tv. People are not so consumed with black women's hair on tv, or at least they shouldn't be.:ohwell:

Missi

COSIGN...

3. Anywho I'm be serious. Y'know--

Ok:

Ok, so--after I finished laughing, I was lookin at the thread like, :lachen:"...the hell? Where do some of you live? Who. Moved.The. Rocks? Who. Popped.The. Bubbles? Do ya'll mingle with... 'actual' people in the outside world? "

But--REAL TALK....a 'bad' chick doesn't waste her time comparing herself to other females. As if to say "Do I measure up to her?"
If you actually believe your hair is beautiful--that 'Black is Beautiful' then there'd be no need to compare our hair to 'other' hair. (particularly white women's hair.) There'd be no need to act like you can somehow validate your black beauty through pointless (and transparent, mind you) comparisons...

For one, as far as I'm concerned, most times I see sistas in the media and on tv they have gorgeous hair.

What about Mizani?

To a larger extent...it's expected. It is what's it's gon be. BEcause we live in a capitalistic society. We aren't the only people these advertisers target to make money off of.

I'm mad late: but EXACTLY: ooooooh thats why i love this board

Missi

Just because there isn't numerous black women with longgggg, straight hair, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Who cares who we don't impress through tv, and the media! It may be a reflection on us, it may not be! But, we really shouldn't be soooo consumed that there are women on tv with jacked up hair. Also, white people know other white people, and I am sure to a white woman she can spot ugly strands a mile away, on a white woman on tv. People are not so consumed with black women's hair on tv, or at least they shouldn't be.:ohwell:

thats true:lachen::lachen:

Missi

Hey Missi, I would buy the magazine! I love looking at magazines for hair, fashion...(Most black women I see on commercials have pretty hair but I notice that they are mostly naturals.)

My only suggestion for your magazine would be that you get across the point to these younger readers that Health should be a HUGE focus when caring for hair whether relaxed/natural. :yawn:

You can try all the products/growth aids in the world but til you really start taking care of your hair, you will not get the results you want. I see magazines mention health, but it is only like a sentence about it here and there. I think there should be more said about how health is the most important factor of haircare. A lot of companies are getting paid (some are misleading acting like the product will turn damaged breaking HAM hair into like princess jasmine's hair) and women are not happy after using a product which is probably just a waste anyway. More women out in the world need to understand that these companies cant take care of your hair for you and they cant bottle " hair health" and sell it to you. That's something you have to achieve/ work for if you dont already have it.

Thank you: i picked out a title

Since I can't use
-Entice Magazine
-Lady Essence
-Ebony
-Urban

i found a mixture of all "Sable" ( the color black, often being one of the heraldic colors.)

of course: ladies i'm gonna want ur best opinions....Essence is a great magazine for black women: i'm 20 and its over my age: so i gotta make one my own. i'm contacting Lowes and other network who can supply me w/ the foundation (like paper, manufacturing, and distribution). I have my hands tied this summer: i'm working on a 'online beauty site' (like Ulta & sephora: but my will consist of "real" organic & natural products) and Magazine: and a new hair blog. So if you have organic or your own natural products: send me an email at [email protected] and ladies ur opinion means a lot to me.

SET DATE: AUGUST 2008

ladylibra

but if you are advertising something, the people you hire to represent you on TV should look decent. now obviously for hair product commercials yes, they might show someone with "bad looking hair" to get their point across. i have no problem with that, you need before-and-after pics if you wanna sell your product. but i remember a while back there was an Oreo commercial where a grandma and her granddaughter were racing to eat their cookies and grandma won. that little girl's hair looked ATROCIOUS. what was the phrase someone else used not too long ago... a spoonful of hair for a ponytail? and you could tell her relaxed hair was chewed up, it looked like nobody even bothered to brush it up into a ponytail as stiff greasy bits and pieces were sticking out everywhere. :nono:

i mean people get PAID to make commercials... be in commercials... put the make-up and style the hair of the people in the commercials. i did not appreciate that one bit. but i'm not getting up on a soapbox today.

i'm not saying everyone has to have long hair... healthy will do just fine. :yep:

in re: white women spotting bad hair on other white women

heck yeah they can! :lachen: i just don't see as many instances.

RegaLady

but if you are advertising something, the people you hire to represent you on TV should look decent. now obviously for hair product commercials yes, they might show someone with "bad looking hair" to get their point across. i have no problem with that, you need before-and-after pics if you wanna sell your product. but i remember a while back there was an Oreo commercial where a grandma and her granddaughter were racing to eat their cookies and grandma won. that little girl's hair looked ATROCIOUS. what was the phrase someone else used not too long ago... a spoonful of hair for a ponytail? and you could tell her relaxed hair was chewed up, it looked like nobody even bothered to brush it up into a ponytail as stiff greasy bits and pieces were sticking out everywhere. :nono:

i mean people get PAID to make commercials... be in commercials... put the make-up and style the hair of the people in the commercials. i did not appreciate that one bit. but i'm not getting up on a soapbox today.

i'm not saying everyone has to have long hair... healthy will do just fine. :yep:

in re: white women spotting bad hair on other white women

heck yeah they can! :lachen: i just don't see as many instances.

True, but she wasn't selling hair products, therefore, hair was not the focus.
I have seen little white girls in commercials who's hair looked as if they have just rolled out of bed. But, I really try not to give it all a hard time. Now, if you are selling hair grease, or moisturizer for children, then hecky yeah your hair needs to be telling.:lachen:
I see there are some black women with jacked up curly afro wigs, and me and SO on some occasions would pick them out. But, the focus is not the hair, it is the product they are selling. It's to our trained eye, this is why we spot it out. But, I guarantee, the majority of the population is not looking at her hair.

Ladylibra, you are always so funny, though!:lachen:

RegaLady

Thank you: i picked out a title

Since I can't use
-Entice Magazine
-Lady Essence
-Ebony
-Urban

i found a mixture of all "Sable" ( the color black, often being one of the heraldic colors.)

of course: ladies i'm gonna want ur best opinions....Essence is a great magazine for black women: i'm 20 and its over my age: so i gotta make one my own. i'm contacting Lowes and other network who can supply me w/ the foundation (like paper, manufacturing, and distribution). I have my hands tied this summer: i'm working on a 'online beauty site' (like Ulta & sephora: but my will consist of "real" organic & natural products) and Magazine: and a new hair blog. So if you have organic or your own natural products: send me an email at [email protected] and ladies ur opinion means a lot to me.

SET DATE: AUGUST 2008

Please come out with a magazine, I would buy many copies, as I am a magazine junkie!!:lachen: