Blow Drying Support Thread

BeautifulRoots

Listening to this video really helped to refresh my understanding of how to select heat protectant products for the blow-drying process. It didn't dawn on me why I have always disliked using blow dry creams and lotions on my hair. I recently bought several products from Ulta that I now know that I need to return.
Very informative. Thanks for posting this!

DVAntDany

Omg! The RevAir is awesome. I used it on my mom last night. It made her hair straighter than using a comb attachment on the Dyson. It was far less work than using a brush. It also didn’t get super hot or take very long to do.

I used high heat. I tried level 5, 6 and 7. 7 made hair the straightest but it made her hair tangle/knot. With 6, there was a little tangling. On level 5, there was no tangling at all.

I had to literally count to 90 seconds on each section because I was initially underestimating the amount of time. When I didn’t do it long enough for like 35 seconds, the hair would get a little puffy after initially looking straight. The only con is that it is a little heavy to hold.

This time I used the following:
Biolage Reset Shampoo
Design Essentials L&A Shampoo
Design Essentials L&A Conditioner
Design Essentials L&A Blow Dry Spray
Keracare Silken Seal Liquid S
Design Essentials L&A Thermal Protectant Creme (For flat iron on 385)

Background info: My mom’s hair is mostly silky and fine. We have tried once months ago to wear her hair curly, but the relaxed ends are curly yet stringy. We haven’t cut them off yet. I’ll be doing the 1st 1inch trim next month. Her hair when wet is perfectly spiraled and looks like the size of dry 3c ish curls. So the pic shows her hair after being brushed and stuck in Bantu knots.

4D740FD1-B9CF-4A48-9D42-5C71008CF08B.jpeg3112E457-38CA-447B-BF98-34D5D3C22B04.jpeg4584E51C-8617-490E-9ADF-50976CEBBC3C.jpeg

faithVA

Omg! The RevAir is awesome. I used it on my mom last night. It made her hair straighter than using a comb attachment on the Dyson. It was far less work than using a brush. It also didn’t get super hot or take very long to do.

I used high heat. I tried level 5, 6 and 7. 7 made hair the straightest but it made her hair tangle/knot. With 6, there was a little tangling. On level 5, there was no tangling at all.

I had to literally count to 90 seconds on each section because I was initially underestimating the amount of time. When I didn’t do it long enough for like 35 seconds, the hair would get a little puffy after initially looking straight. The only con is that it is a little heavy to hold.

This time I used the following:
Biolage Reset Shampoo
Design Essentials L&A Shampoo
Design Essentials L&A Conditioner
Design Essentials L&A Blow Dry Spray
Keracare Silken Seal Liquid S
Design Essentials L&A Thermal Protectant Creme (For flat iron on 385)

Background info: My mom’s hair is mostly silky and fine. We have tried once months ago to wear her hair curly, but the relaxed ends are curly yet stringy. We haven’t cut them off yet. I’ll be doing the 1st 1inch trim next month. Her hair when wet is perfectly spiraled and looks like the size of dry 3c ish curls. So the pic shows her hair after being brushed and stuck in Bantu knots.

View attachment 486661View attachment 486663View attachment 486665
You did a great job and her hair looks great.

DVAntDany

I had my 4 month trim on Saturday. I used the Revair on my own head for a full blow-dry for the first time. I found out that I can't do what I do for my mom. I've used it on her several times now.

For my mom, doing larger sections worked out better. There were no tangles and less time was spent drying. When I did larger sections, I'd see ripples of texture in my hair, and it wouldn't dry in the 90 seconds recommended. My mom's hair has always felt fully dry with no humid heat when I pull it out of the tube. My hair would puff back up because it still had some moisture in it.

I had the bright idea to try the sample kit of the Dry Bar Liquid Glass products that I've had for several months. Surprisingly, I didn't use up the 1.7oz bottle of conditioner because it had excellent slip. I just didn't like how the Miracle Smoothing Sealant left my hair. It was the one for fine hair. I actually don't care for any conditioners or styling products geared towards fine hair unless they are specifically made for Black hair. The smoothing sealant treatment left my hair feeling firm before flat ironing.

I'm going to give it another go so I can show my progress in another thread. I didn't have time to do a thorough job. Just wanted to say that there is a learning curve to the Revair. I think with certain products (probably heavier) that I could get a silkened effect where I wouldn't have to use a flat iron.

Mapleoats

Just coming in here to say I still use my revair atleast monthly and I absolutely love it. The revair has stepped my blow out game all the way up!!

cross posting this photo to this thread. Left is December 2022 blowout with airwrap brush only, right is April 2023 Revair with one pass of the airwrap brush after.

58B0C8EC-369A-4ABF-851B-39BC6B4E6E6C.jpeg

my gripe with the airwrap is that it never did a good job on my ends. The revair is amazing on its own and gets my ends straight, following up with the airwrap brush gives it a little bit of extra sleekness but definitely optional. If I had to pick one I would choose the revair.

can't wait for my next blowout hopefully next week!

LiLi

Just coming in here to say I still use my revair atleast monthly and I absolutely love it. The revair has stepped my blow out game all the way up!!

cross posting this photo to this thread. Left is December 2022 blowout with airwrap brush only, right is April 2023 Revair with one pass of the airwrap brush after.

View attachment 489317

my gripe with the airwrap is that it never did a good job on my ends. The revair is amazing on its own and gets my ends straight, following up with the airwrap brush gives it a little bit of extra sleekness but definitely optional. If I had to pick one I would choose the revair.

Very beautiful hair!!!!!!

LiLi

Well ladies, I bought the Dyson Air Strait and tried it out this morning on a test section. I like it but need to do another test giving myself enough time to thoroughly shampoo and condition. I don’t think I shampooed well enough because my hair felt crispy.

So far the pros in comparison to the RevAir:

1. Lightweight and much smaller
2. Dries the roots better
3. Quieter
4. You know the temperature (Although, I feel the RevAir does not get too hot at all.)
5. You can use any product on your hair

So far the cons in comparison to the RevAir:

1. Hair not as soft (But I will test it again to be sure.)
2. Quality control - there were two scratches in the casing (not the plates) which could cause some breakage. I will ask for a replacrment if I decide to keep it though.
3. It will take longer to blow dry the whole head. But my hair did drpretty fast - it took about 3-4 passes for it to be completely dry but I used a much smaller section in comparison to the size of the sections I use with the RevAir.

The Dyson straightened just as good as the RevAir does. The real test will be if, after I test it when thoroughly washing my hair, it will feel as soft as when I use the RevAir. If it doesn’t then it’s not worth it to me.

Because I lost a lot of hair after COVID, I have been wearing a headband wig for over a year and haven’t blow dried my hair and have kept the majority of it plaited. But I do want to see where my hair is and how much I need to cut off so I plan to blow dry my whole head with the RevAir (tried and true), in the next couple of weeks. However, I will still do another test on the same section with the Dyson this week and report back.

LiLi

Thank you :)

Also thanks for sharing your review of the airstrait! Which temp settings did you use?
You are welcome! I used the highest heat when I used the wet setting and then used the setting below the dry boost when my hair was dry. My ends don’t feel as smooth as when I use the RevAir but I will know for sure once I use a chelator to make sure it’s not buildup or the blow dry creme that I used causing that.

Mapleoats

Thank you for sharing this! It seems like I got the same results as she did. My hair felt a bit stiff and crunchy with the Dyson. But I will definitely chelate and try again this weekend. I really want it to work out for me.
Yeah her review sounds very similar to yours! I think the biggest con im seeing so far to the airstrait is the time. Once you get good at the revair you can have your whole head dry in under 30 mins. But to get a good blow dry with the airstrait seems to require much smaller sections and thus will take longer.

i do think it's plausible that with the right technique the airstrait can give better results than the revair, but time is a huge factor for me so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

i look forward to hearing your updated review :)

nana mack

View attachment 489317

Be
Well ladies, I bought the Dyson Air Strait and tried it out this morning on a test section. I like it but need to do another test giving myself enough time to thoroughly shampoo and condition. I don’t think I shampooed well enough because my hair felt crispy.

So far the pros in comparison to the RevAir:

1. Lightweight and much smaller
2. Dries the roots better
3. Quieter
4. You know the temperature (Although, I feel the RevAir does not get too hot at all.)
5. You can use any product on your hair

So far the cons in comparison to the RevAir:

1. Hair not as soft (But I will test it again to be sure.)
2. Quality control - there were two scratches in the casing (not the plates) which could cause some breakage. I will ask for a replacrment if I decide to keep it though.
3. It will take longer to blow dry the whole head. But my hair did drpretty fast - it took about 3-4 passes for it to be completely dry but I used a much smaller section in comparison to the size of the sections I use with the RevAir.

The Dyson straightened just as good as the RevAir does. The real test will be if, after I test it when thoroughly washing my hair, it will feel as soft as when I use the RevAir. If it doesn’t then it’s not worth it to me.

Because I lost a lot of hair after COVID, I have been wearing a headband wig for over a year and haven’t blow dried my hair and have kept the majority of it plaited. But I do want to see where my hair is and how much I need to cut off so I plan to blow dry my whole head with the RevAir (tried and true), in the next couple of weeks. However, I will still do another test on the same section with the Dyson this week and report back.
I lost hair due to COVID too and I also use the revair once a week. what do you use for heat protection and leave-in?

Fine 4s

Can you explain where the scratches were if not on the plate to cause damage @LiLi ?
Can you show picture of your headband wig and where you got it from? I'm now focused on thinning edges and my derm recommending that I don't braid not even do the twists that we all do (I actually don't trust her thinking as it's not like she examined my scalp on a microscope but rather assumed that as a black woman, I'm sure she braids tight), I'm considering other ways of styling my hair and really just want to put it away. Let me know please.
Thanks!

LiLi

Can you explain where the scratches were if not on the plate to cause damage @LiLi ?
Can you show picture of your headband wig and where you got it from? I'm now focused on thinning edges and my derm recommending that I don't braid not even do the twists that we all do (I actually don't trust her thinking as it's not like she examined my scalp on a microscope but rather assumed that as a black woman, I'm sure she braids tight), I'm considering other ways of styling my hair and really just want to put it away. Let me know please.
Thanks!
The scratches were on the casing. So I just worry about snagging time since the hair hangs over it.

I don’t really care for the headband wig but I had no other choice because I had bald spots and didn’t have enough hair to cover it. This is the wI have - Kinky Straight Headband Wigs... but it looks so fake. I just had no other choice and just continued to wear it. I would suggest looking into wearing hijabs if you can. You won’t have any tension at all on your edges with then. Here is a video of how I like them -the style I like starts at 8:07 Once I master it, I will probably wear them more than the headband wig but I am also looking into different headband wigs.
Also, for your thinning edges, I would also recommend not brushing your edges at all.

I hope this helps!!!

LiLi

Be

I lost hair due to COVID too and I also use the revair once a week. what do you use for heat protection and leave-in?
I am very sorry you lost your hair. It really was devasting for me. I hope yours has started to grow back. I have about 20 or more different heat protectants but my favorites are the Aveda damage therapy leave-in, Kerastase Therapiste Serum and Olaplex Smoothing No. 6.

LiLi

Yeah her review sounds very similar to yours! I think the biggest con im seeing so far to the airstrait is the time. Once you get good at the revair you can have your whole head dry in under 30 mins. But to get a good blow dry with the airstrait seems to require much smaller sections and thus will take longer.

i do think it's plausible that with the right technique the airstrait can give better results than the revair, but time is a huge factor for me so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

i look forward to hearing your updated review :)
The airstrait is pretty quick with drying but I agree that the drying time with the RevAir is much quicker. It’s just the Airstrait is much more convenient than the RevAir so I am hoping it will work out for me. Unfortunately, I think I have too much build up on my hair because even my RevAir results weren’t that great when I tried a side-by-side section this morning. But the RevAir side was definitely softer than the Airstrait side. I am going to have to deep condition with a more concentrated conditioner and try again tomorrow or Tuesday. I will make sure to keep you updated.

alove15

Fun thread!
1)Relaxed or Natural
>Relaxed
2)Blow dryer used
>Dyson Supersonic
3)Products used when blow drying
>Currently Tresemme heat serum/spray
4)How often you blow dry
>Weekly
5)What products do you use to moisturize
(if any) after blow drying?
>M+S daily (Currently Mielle pomegranate LI and coconut oil)
6)Do you have any tips to share?
>I’ve been drying 80-90% with a microfiber towel, applying heat protectant then finishing up with the Dyson
Coming back to this post. I’ve been blowdrying 1-2x a month now that I’m further into my transition. My routine is to dry with a microfiber towel. Apply heat protectant spray +/- a light leave-in. Dry w/ Dyson comb attachment. My goal rn is to keep my new growth stretched and retain my relaxed ends till I’m ready for a cut.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I got the Tymo blow dryer and using it was an overwhelming experience. I didn’t get the results I was looking for and I need to figure how to make it work for me.