Blow-drying with cold air.

sweetcashew

I got tired of sitting under the dryer for a hour and a half just to dry my hair so I started back blowdrying 3 times a week. So not to have too much heat damage I started using only the warm setting on the blow dryer and by accident, discovered that when I use the cool shot button my hair actually dried.
My hair felt so much softer and it is so elastic. I can't believe all these years I didn't know I could blow-dry my hair with cold air. So now I just blow out the roots on warm and the rest of the hair with the cold air. Takes a little longer by it's worth it.
My hair is fine so this might not work for everyone.

HoneyDew

I kinda do this. I blowdry 2 times a week and I use the cool setting after it is pretty straight but dry. My hair a thick 4a/4b mix. I have to use leave-in spray and silicone on my hair first, though.

But, it really does make me feel better about using my blow-dryer so much. :)

Isis

This sounds like a very good idea. You said your hair feels more elastic and much softer, it's probably retaining moisture. I wonder if all blowdryers have cold air options.

I use the cool setting on my ION bonnet dryer, which takes longer but works.

Healthb4Length

When I do my grandma's hair I do this. She has below bra length 3c/4a thick hair and I blow it on a cool setting, then I flat iron. I figure that way I can minimize the damage. So far so good, no breakage or dryness...we wash and style every 2 weeks.

sweetcashew

CinnaMocha said:
sounds good to me, how long does it take you? When you find something that works stick with it.

It took me about 45 mins to blow it out. That's about 10 mins longer than usual. I'm definitely sticking with it.

karezone

So cold air blow dry=no damage or splits

Sounds good to me. I will try it later on this week when I wash my hair.

Dogmd

I read somewhere that cool/ cold air blow drying closes the cuticle vs hot air that opens the cuticle.. I guess closed hair cuticle = smoother hair.

CheChe1881

I'm going to start trying this. Just bought a new blow dryer. I imagine this would make stretch out style a lot sleeker. Anyone else do this?