Blowdryers, Flat Irons, and Pressing Combs - OH MY!!

songbyrd517

Hi everyone. I am having a problem and I am wondering if anybody can possibly help me out. Please feel free to answer no matter what state you wear your hair in, but just so you will know, I am transitioning with about 3 inches of newgrowth and between 8 and 9 inches of relaxed hair. I have tried to blow dry and press my hair twice in the past two weeks, and it just turned out to be a disaster. It would not stay straight for anything and felt kind of dried out (not good) :wallbash: . So, I am wondering:

How do transitioners/naturals go about blow drying fairly straight with minimal frizz on the ends?

What products do you use to help you achieve this?

What technique(s) do you use to blow dry (e.g. sections with denman brush, comb attachments, brush, etc.)

Also, is it better to use a warm pressing comb followed by a ceramic iron, or just the ceramic iron. I suppose I could just use the iron if I knew how to blow dry my hair right.

What products help while blowdrying and straightening as well as hold your press for close to a week (at least)?

What kind of blow dryer is best? Could my choice of dryer be a problem? I have a $14 ULTRA by Andis ProDryer 1600. It is burgundy colored and cheap looking.

I currently have a Helen of Troy Ceramic Iron (Infared heat, 1"). Is this okay, or do I need to invest in a better iron?

And, what can I use for a moisturizing detangler after conditioning?

I am truly sorry for so many questions, I am just really frustrated :sad: I need help. I will truly aprreciate any feedback.

Tai

When I straighten my hair, I do not blowdry it. I do a rollerset to get it dry and then I follow with my Jilbere flat iron on medium heat. I use two leave ins when I rollerset (currently MHC Herbal Hair Cocktail and BBD Stretch) but it's always one liquid and one creamy. I don't use a pressing comb. Don't like them and I don't want to potentially mess up my curls by using one, especially one that goes on the stove. The only time a blowdryer is used on my hair is when I go to the Dominican salon and then she doesn't flat iron. It's a rollerset and a blowout.

I don't have any problems with dryness and my hair gets relaxer straight. It does revert fairly quickly. If I get four days of straight hair, I'm happy. But I also sweat easily, too.

My conditioner also detangles so I don't have to use a seperate one. But Biolage's Detangling solution works very well.

moda

How do transitioners/naturals go about blow drying fairly straight with minimal frizz on the ends? A blow dryer with a comb attachment can make the hair fairly straight, I used to have a Gold n Hot dryer that worked great, I never had to follow up with an iron

What products do you use to help you achieve this? When I used to blow dry I used Bone Strait
What technique(s) do you use to blow dry (e.g. sections with denman brush, comb attachments, brush, etc.) Comb attachments work great

Also, is it better to use a warm pressing comb followed by a ceramic iron, or just the ceramic iron. I suppose I could just use the iron if I knew how to blow dry my hair right. You should not need to use both, if my hair was flat ironed the only reason I would press was to get at my roots, to solve this I just bought a 1" iron

What products help while blowdrying and straightening as well as hold your press for close to a week (at least)? The only time my press lasted for a week was when my stylist did it, not sure what she used other than the ceramic iron. There are anti-humectant products I have heard work good, but never tried them

What kind of blow dryer is best? Could my choice of dryer be a problem? I have a $14 ULTRA by Andis ProDryer 1600. It is burgundy colored and cheap looking. I do no longer have blow dryer, I have been airdrying forever. What Tai reco'd about rollersetting is a great way to help you out.

I currently have a Helen of Troy Ceramic Iron (Infared heat, 1"). Is this okay, or do I need to invest in a better iron? From what I hear many of the ceramic irons are just coated plates unless you have one of the more expensive ones $80 & up. I have 2 cheapies that work great at straigtening my hair but it does nothing for fighting humidity like some of the higher ends claim to do. When I get my hair done by my stylist it fights humidity very well, not sure what she uses, I will check when I go back next month (have not been in a year)

kristina

Hey hair twin-here's my answer:
How do naturals go about blow drying fairly straight with minimal frizz on the ends? When I blowdry I would use the one's with a comb attachment. Before I blowdry I'd detangle, section in bantu knots (approx 12) and let my hair dry a bit. Then I'd take each section apply a bit of serum (I think it was frizz ease) and aveda anti humectant and blow-dry on warm until dry. This gives me straighish but still big and poufy hair. The smaller the bantu knot sections and the hotter the dryer, the straighter it'll look.

Is it better to use a warm pressing comb followed by a ceramic iron, or just the ceramic iron. I suppose I could just use the iron if I knew how to blow dry my hair right. I never tried this but I was thinking about using an electric comb on my roots before maxigliding. I used the maxiglide and the sedu irons alone and it looks okay. One tip I'd give is make sure your hair is bone dry before you iron. Sometimes when i blow dry especially, I'll wait for a bit or go under a hooded dryer to eliminate the moisture from my scalp before trying- this makes a big difference.

What products help while blowdrying and straightening as well as hold your press for close to a week (at least)?
Anti humectant helps as well as wrapping and avoids sweat inducing activities.
What kind of blow dryer is best? Could my choice of dryer be a problem? I have a $14 ULTRA by Andis ProDryer 1600. It is burgundy colored and cheap looking. Can't help you there. My cheapo blow dryer broke on me.

I currently have a Helen of Troy Ceramic Iron (Infared heat, 1"). Is this okay, or do I need to invest in a better iron?
Not sure- if the iron is getting to your roots I'm not sure if a more expensive one is worth the effort. I love the maxiglide and think that it can give you silky hair but it's difficult to get though the roots sometimes.
And, what can I use for a moisturizing detangler after conditioning?- I just use a conditioner with a lot of slip.

Best of luck!

mkh_77

How do transitioners/naturals go about blow drying fairly straight with minimal frizz on the ends?

I wet set my hair on Jet Set rollers (platic with teeth). I use serum before I roll (Biosilk), and then spray the set with a Biosilk protein leave-in and heat protector. Then I sit under my hooded dryer for about 30 minutes on medium heat.

What products do you use to help you achieve this?

Biosilk Serum and heat protector.

What technique(s) do you use to blow dry (e.g. sections with denman brush, comb attachments, brush, etc.)

Sit under the hooded dryer.

Also, is it better to use a warm pressing comb followed by a ceramic iron, or just the ceramic iron. I suppose I could just use the iron if I knew how to blow dry my hair right.

If I want my hair very straight I will flat iron it--but that's usually when I am getting a trim. I will flat iron in small sections, and I believe my iron is an inch wide. It's a titanium Jilbere. When I am done flat ironing I add a little more serum (and I mean a little!).

I don't think anything will. Natural hair needs moisture, and it's been my experience that if I keep it straight for a week or more it becomes very dry.

What kind of blow dryer is best? Could my choice of dryer be a problem? I have a $14 ULTRA by Andis ProDryer 1600. It is burgundy colored and cheap looking.

I have an ionic hand held (mostly use it now to dry brushes and combs), but I mostly sit under my hooded dryer. By the way, air drying is NO good for me--it leaves my end too dry. I like the hooded dryer best.

If you are going to use it often, get a really good one, l like a CHI.

And, what can I use for a moisturizing detangler after conditioning?

Biosilk serum.

Oh yeah--I am completely natural, too.

Hope that helps!

songbyrd517

Thank you so much for your responses everyone ! :kiss: They are very helpful. You all have made me realize some things I am doing wrong :look:
Tai and Cincy, I may just give that rollerset thing a try... once I get a new hooded dryer. Mine broke :mad: I used to rollerset it very successfully before I decided to transition.
Mkh_77, good point about needing moisture... I forgot about that. Maybe it is good that it didn't last then huh? ;)
Miss Kristina! Thank you so much! I was hoping you would respond! I always get so much help from you! Thanks Hair Twin :kiss: ! The point of making sure my hair is completely dry before attempting to flat iron was a great one, because now that I think of it, I never blowdry my hair completely. I don't do it on purpose... I think it is subconcious because I am afraid of ruining my hair. Thanks girl. I'll keep that in mind. Oh yeah, I may have to hunt you down so you can give me some of those pretty baby twists!!!! You are so my hair idol, lol!

Thanks again guys. I may just be able to make this hair of mine act right!
More responses are definitely welcome!

P.S. Cincy, please do let me know what your stylist says once you find out ;)

Last edited: