Blown-Out Afro with NO HEAT?? Is this Possible? HELP!

bride91501

After reading EllePixie's thread about what practices lead to breakage in natural hair, I had given up on ever blowdrying my hair again lol.

Problem is, the DH LOVED my hair when I rocked a blown out fro a couple of weeks ago (this is as animated as he's gotten over my hair in the last 7 months lol). And if I'm honest, I secretly loved it too, although I knew that falling in love with a style that required heat was not a good idea :ohwell:

So my question for you ladies is....how do you achieve the "blown-out fro" look (kinda like the one in my siggy) without using a blowdryer or heat? I want to occassionally be able to show most of my length, but in more of an "afro" kind of way than with braid outs or twist outs.

With so many of us on no/rare heat regimens, I'm hoping you chicas have ideas. Bonus points for pics :yep: TIA!

makeupvixen

Today is my first day really being able to rock a fro since I started my hair journey and it's all thanks to the Tangle Teezer. It fluffed up my hair and I love it. Now I can do afro puffs and stuff.

I just ran it through dry hair and poof I gots me a nice afro

Leeda.the.Paladin

You could try banding. It stretches the hair out pretty well, no heat required. It won't get as straight as being blown out though. Well, maybe if you did really small sections it would.

Leeda.the.Paladin

or you could rollerset your hair and then take the rollers out before it's completely dry. I did that once and it looked like a blow out.

Edit: heres the pic LOL

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Well, since your hair texture looks more thick I believe you would need some form of heat to get it to show some length. Also, would you consider roller setting? I've heard (and seen) that roller setting can help straighten out your hair a bit. Moreover, roller setting requires less heat than blow drying and is not damaging.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
Yeah, I'm think of getting a roller set instead of a blow out in order to trim my ends

AfroKink

I usually do bantu knots for a stretched out afro. Banding is also great for a similar look! Someone mentioned rollersetting, that's really good too!

Attachments

• STA71047.JPG
    STA71047.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 80

Chameleonchick

Medium sized braids help. I can't do blowdryers either for fros. Instead I just use medium thickness braids throughout my hair overnight. WHen I undo them in the morning pick with my fingers to shape.

bride91501

Today is my first day really being able to rock a fro since I started my hair journey and it's all thanks to the Tangle Teezer. It fluffed up my hair and I love it. Now I can do afro puffs and stuff.

I just ran it through dry hair and poof I gots me a nice afro

Hmmmmmm.......I keep hearing about this tangle teezer. May have to look into it. Thing is, I ve never dry-comed my hair since I've been natural- I'm terrified of that snap-crackle-pop sound lol. Any problems with breakage while using it?

BlkOnyx488

I do 8 braids and let them dry, sometimes I will sit under the dryer so they dry aster of course, but it gives my hair a nice stretched out look. See below :yep:

Attachments

• Fro.jpg
    Fro.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 53

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Make sure your hair is THOROUGHLY DETANGLED
Once detangled, take sections of your hair, comb or brush out, then plait/braid it
Let your hair dry COMPLETELY
Once dry, unravel and pick out your hair with an afro pick comb
Fluff and shape

Hope that helps!

choctaw

oil rinse
detangle in shower with conditioner and shower comb under running water
acv rinse
wrap with turbie twist or t-shirt to absorb excess water
a dozen or less big braids/twists tucked into bantu knots
air dry
style

e.lauren

I wear my hair like that often. I let my hair dry in 6 to 9 braids. Depending on how your hair behaves you will want to do fewer to avoid waves from the braids or more so your hair stretches straighter. When you take them out gently brush or pick out the fro.

My hair ends up looking blown out when I do this and it generally isn't tangled because it dried in the braids so the brushing or picking doesn't pop any hair out.

bride91501

or you could rollerset your hair and then take the rollers out before it's completely dry. I did that once and it looked like a blow out.

Edit: heres the pic LOL

I haven't tried a rollerset since my epic fail attempt at 2 most post BC lol. My hair was too short then, so maybe now's a good time and length to retry this again.

And oh, 10 bonus points for the pic :grin: Thanks!

bride91501

I usually do bantu knots for a stretched out afro. Banding is also great for a similar look! Someone mentioned rollersetting, that's really good too!

LOVE the look of this Afrokink....did u bantu knot on dry or wet hair? What products did you use?

*waiting patiently with pen and pad in hand*

And since you insisted, 10 bonus points for you too :yep:

bride91501

Once detangled, take sections of your hair, comb or brush out, then plait/braid it
Fluff and shape

Hope that helps!

This is why I LOVE this board. What an ingenious idea! I'd sworn off dry combing since I BC'd, but you're right- if my hair is fully detangled dry combing should be fine- duh:spinning:

Thanks doll!

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Braid your hair in big braids (5-20, as you do them more and more you will figure out how many you need), then take them out the next day. I usually do mine on damp hair. You can get the same look with twists too. Here are some of my pics for example, as long as I have been natural, I have never used heat on my hair ever:

Ms Lala

Fluff and shape

Hope that helps!

I agree w/this. I dry my hair in braids. Then go back and undo the braids and put my hair in REAL big twist or braids or even a bun to stretch my hair more. I use a little shea butter because that helps to stretch. Then I just use my fingers to fluff and shape. The puff below was done on stretched hair. My hair isn't as rounded now though because of the length unless I let it shrink all the way which I refuse to do.

Attachments

• Picture0029.JPG
    Picture0029.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: