Bra Strap to Waist length hair - HELP!! (please)

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by wyldcurlz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. wyldcurlz

wyldcurlz Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, after lurking for a while, I had to sign up after seeing all your gorgeous, long healthy hair. So I'm certain you will all be able to help me.

I have lots of very thick, natural 3B/C hair and for the last 2 years its been the exact same length, about 2 inches above the top of my bra strap. I've been natural for 6 years, so my hair should be healthy and MUCH longer than that! I also have what looks like a bunch of baby hairs that stick up around my hairline - I call it a fuzz/frizz halo. So when I try to slick my hair back, even with the strongest gels or conditioners - it still looks a bit unkempt.

What am I doing wrong? My regimen is very simple - I was going to a stylist to get my hair washed, blown dry and pressed every week. (he'd also usually deep condition it.) I got trims every 8-12 weeks, I'd wrap my hair in a silk scarf nightly and put KeraCare leave in on my ends.

I still struggle with split ends - not much breakage...some but not much. I shed - there is always hair everywhere!

I've read all about protective styling - I'm interested, I just can't do buns daily. Not only do I get headaches, but I'm scared of tension alopecia...and honestly, with my round face, buns just don't look that great. But, I'd be willing to do them occasionally.

What do I need to do to reach my goal of 3 inches below the bottom of my bra strap?!?!

Please help - especially those w/bra strap length or longer.

I'm going to try to attach a picture of my hair - wet.

Attached Files:

• wet.jpg
      wet.jpg
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
    • wet2.jpg
      wet2.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Miss*Tress

Miss*Tress Well-Known Member

Those trims every 8-12 weeks are probably snipping off your growth.

3. Cheesecake555

Cheesecake555 New Member

You also may need to look at what you are doing with your hair during the cold months. I personally keep my natural hair in twists and covered during the cold months. Not only am I protecting it from the weather but also not manipulating it as often.

4. Nay

Nay Well-Known Member

Maybe pressing your hair once a week is too much. Also, how are you styling your hair between presses? If you are using the hot curlers at all, that could cause you problems.

I say try minimizing the heat even more.

And, hey, if I can get my hair to lay down, anybody can!! I use a little Aubrey's aloe vera gel and some castor oil after spraying my hair with water. Then I lightly brush the hair and tie it down with a scarf for about 10 minutes and I get nice shiny wavy laid down edges.

5. joyous

joyous Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. I have to agree with the other ladies. Maybe you are trimmng to often and the weekly presses after blowdrying can be hard on your hair.

6. atl_mulattamami

atl_mulattamami New Member

Try not trimming as much but make sure to baby your ends really well so they don't thin out and split, cut out that heat, shampoo and deep condition 1-2 times weekly, wear protective styles (twists, braids, buns, etc.,etc.), and most importantly BE GENTLE! Also try taking some supplements such as biotin, a b-complex, and of course a multivitamin.

7. SweetNic_JA

SweetNic_JA Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this. I saw red flags immediately after WyldCurlz explained her regime.

Also, Biosilk has a gel called Rock Hard Gelee. It's some heavy duty stuff but I wouldn't recommend heavy usage of any high protein gel.