Braid extensions

ZLUVSNEWZEE

Hello all,

I am on a 1 and 1/2 to 2 year braid regimen, which means I will be wearing braids back to back for that time. I BCed 4/30 so I have a ways to go. I'm wondering if it is best for me to stick with human hair or should I try synthetic. I use human hair but whenever I wash it slips and frizzes like crazy. I braid my own hair and enjoy braiding my own hair. I'm not interested in getting the latest styles by a professional, just some neat looking braids. I got talked into buying expensive human hair that would not frizz but of course it did by the first wash. Should I try synthetic hair or is it better to use human hair for growth. My goal is BSL by or before 5/6/2013. Please help!!!

Nonie

I am partial to human hair. I Just love the versatility. I can use heat on it without burning it. I can basically do anything style that you can achieve with relaxed hair with them.

Not sure how you wash, because mine don't really get that frizzy. I wash twice a week and only find I need to redo a few. Usually the section that doesn't contain my hair does unravel but the braided part is usually OK except for a few braids, which I redo while watching TV.

These pics show my braids after a wash:

In the first set you can see what the ones that need redoing look like:

If the braids do look bad (to me anyway), then I cornrow them and then wear the braid-out when my hair dries. It's hard to see the frizz when they're in a braid-out:

I can then sport that look until I have time to redo the really messy ones, which I work on one at a time as time allows.

cmw45

I advocate the use of synthetic hair for longterm wear. In my experience, human hair does not last as long (or look as neat). I generally try to get between 8-12 weeks out of a single install. Truthfully, I think the key to wearing synthetic hair for some people is the successful removal of the alkaline base that can irritate the scalp.

I would also recommend Chicoro's/Robyn's site.

I'm not really trying to do a lot to my hair when it is in braids and mostly I wore a lot of buns and cute hats. These are pics from an install I had put in August 4, 2009 and taken out October 14, 2009.

I am also on a personal two year hide your hair/CG challenge. I have not had my hair out for more than two days since last August. Best of luck and HHG.

Nubenap22

I know some ladies may not agree with me but I prefer 100% Kanekalon. I've been getting braids on and off for the last year and they're pretty much stress free. I have the perimeter redone, keep my hair in good health with my leave-in, co-washing, air drying, scalp massages, and so on and so forth. In fact I'm super excited to get mine done in a few days!!! I plan on leaving them in for 4-5 weeks depending on my growth and having them redone after a rest period. Good luck!!!

ZLUVSNEWZEE

Thanks ladies for the expert advice. I would really like to try synthetic to see how it works for me. I also don't mess with the braids when I have them I just want to have a nice hairstyle without much fuss. I feel like human hair is expensive and I have to often rebraid it. I think I will try the synthetic this time to see how it goes. I think your braids look awesome Nonie and I will try human hair again but for now I will try synthetic.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I advocate the use of synthetic hair for longterm wear. In my experience, human hair does not last as long (or look as neat). I generally try to get between 8-12 weeks out of a single install. Truthfully, I think the key to wearing synthetic hair for some people is the successful removal of the alkaline base that can irritate the scalp.

I would also recommend Chicoro's/Robyn's site.

The above information is not correct. I need to hijack this thread for a post: Hi, Robyn is a lovely woman but she and I are NOT the same person. We are two different people. I am not Robyn and Robyn is not Chicoro.

Thank you! :grin:

gvin89

Those using kanekalon/synthetic hair...are you burning the ends or wearing them loose? If the latter, can you please share how you keep them looking nice at the end?

Platinum

I used synthetic (Kanekalon) for my braids and twists during my transition and I didn't have any problems with this hair. I wore my styles for 8-12 weeks at a time. I followed a similiar version of the Crown and Glory method on www.growafrohairlong.com. An added bonus with synthetic hair, is that it's less expensive than human hair.:look: