Braid/Twist Maintenance

golden_goddess

Hi ladies I'm getting Senegalese twists this week & was curious to know how you ladies care for your hair when in braids or twists.

What types of products do you use?

Do you shampoo them or just clean your scalp, and how often?

How do u prepare/style when going to bed?

Do u take any special precautions when it comes to your hairline?

*if you have any tips or suggestions, please feel free to share them*

Last edited:

SkySurfer

With Senegalese twists I honestly just co-wash/rinse when I feel like it. That may be once a week..it may be 6 times in a week. I self install so I can re-do the fuzzy ones.
I use shampoo on them (senegalese twists) about once every two weeks.

At night I wear a satin scarf if my twists are not too long, or a satin bonnet if they happen to be longer.

For my hair line I massage with castor oil about 5 times a week, and I make sure the twists are not so small that they snatch out my edges.
I've gotten good retention with Senegalese twists, and i hope these tips can help you too :)

claud-uk

When I wore braided extensions there were a few things I did for easy/regular maintenance that didn't involve completely taking the braids down:

Moisturize scalp and braids by spritzing from a bottle - don't forget the braid undersides.

Seal by dabbing a fingertip in oil/grease, rub together with thumb and rub down length of braid.

Don't braid right to the absolute edge of your hair - leave a few millimeters of hair loose round the perimeter to help save your fragile edges. The hairs can be smoothed down with pomade or sth.

To wash the hair with the braids in, I would put the hair into a loose ponytail and get either hubby or daughter to hold the ends upright to the ceiling so that the water from the shower head only ran down down my scalp from neck to forehead and not down the hair.

Alternatively if I was just tidying up section-by-section I would unbraid that whole section, wash the scalp with poo applied to fingertips and then scwunch the hair with my hands to work the shampoo into it. To rinse I would rub the scalp with water as much as poss, then hold that section of hair and try and stick it under the running tap.

HTH!

golden_goddess

Thanks ladies, I got my twists a couple days ago, and I really like them. I think I may take out the very front because they're so small & my edges are already thin. I've been oiling the edges & spraying them with braid spray. But I'm still trying to figure out my routine.

Lylddlebit

If I have any products that I don't really like I use them while in braids diluted in water, oil or aloe vera juice. If not I just use my regular products. I use something on my scalp(right now that is castor oil, I use a braid spray, right now that is the silk dreams leave in cream mixed with aloe vera juice).

I only shampoo my scalp. I co wash the length every 2 weeks.

I use a scarf to tie up my braids most of the I have to use 2.(a bonnet to cover my braids in a bun secured by a scrunci and a scarf to wrap the perimeter so all of the braids are covered.

I always tie the scarf loose I rather it come off than rip out an edge braid. When my braids start to do the "pull out edges twist around" I just take the braid out. I don't rebraid it I just remove it(unless I am doing back to back braid sets).

Other tips? I braid the perimeter braids really loose. When those are tight that areas has the potential to loose the most hair. I just keep my scalp clean and the braids moist. Unwashed braids look neater, but washed hair is in better condition so the better deal in the long run. Unless you hair is short don't cut off your ends. How long your hair is can be surprising. Always braid the full length of your hair don't leave any out. Take your time getting them in and taking it out.

Nonie

Hi ladies I'm getting Senegalese twists this week & was curious to know how you ladies care for your hair when in braids or twists.

I don't use any leave in products. I continue to use whatever shampoo or conditioner I was using when I had my hair out. I believe not using any products and baggying nightly not only keeps my hair sufficiently moisturized but also prevents matting. You can see how easily my hair separates when I undo a braid here.

My shampoo regimen of twice a week doesn't change. I do apply shampoo directly to scalp and focus on massaging it clean after wetting my head. Then as I spray my head with water from a shower head to rinse, I squeeze the suds through my braids/twists to clean.

I haven't worn Senegalese twists but if I did, I'd wrap them or make a bun at the top of the head. With braids or twists, I usually prepare next day's style at night and baggy my head using Saran wrap so that all I need do in the morning is take it off and head out the door. Often times, I'll cornrow my braids/twist so I can wear a braid-out in the morning:

Because I do my own extensions and because I am careful use LESS extension hair per section of my own, I don't have much to worry about as far as hairline strain being worse than anywhere else. Still, I do make sure to redo the perimeter of my hair AS SOON AS the hair gets loose, whether from growth or just washing. I do not play when it comes to this. Besides, loose extensions will swing painfully so that's enough warning for me to take care of that. I have also removed the extension and worn my own hair in twists as bangs:

Or I've just cornrowed the front section back in mini-cornrows w/o any additional hair to give my hairline a break:

If you can learn to do your own extensions, you stand a better chance of having good success with them because no one can be as gentle as your scalp needs them to w/o sharing your senses. Also no one can love your hair as much as you.

When you apply conditioner, avoid applying to the base of your extensions. That's how residue collects at the start of the extension and causes matting that causes breakage when undoing.

Another bonus in learning how to do your own hair is you can redo the extensions regularly enough to take the strain off the original starting point and move it to new growth, and also by doing so, you remove shed hair so there'll be no tangles when you undo your hair.

I've worn braids for 2 years straight, redoing one at a time and I've never ever had to deal with tangles.

Please check out the braid regimen at this link for more tips.

Your Cheeziness

Regular products, shampoo, conditioner, watery leave in.

I pour dilute shampoo on my head and massage my scalp. Rinse. Once a week or two, depending on working out or weather.

If they're still new, I do a low ponytail with a scarf. Once they've loosened, I do a high bun on a satin pillowcase. I just prefer not to have braids strangling me while I sleep.

Insist on gentle installation. I' prefer doing them myself to guarantee my edges won't end up in the Naomi Campbell bermuda triangle. Limit tugging styles until they've fully loosened. Don't get them installed too long and heavy.

Use a watery leave in conditioner as your moisturizer every few days or so. Everything else I just said up thurr. ^^ :yep:

Jobwright

How soon after an install would you wash sineglese twists? I had some put in today and want to make sure I care for my hair properly and not have any setbacks.

SkySurfer

How soon after an install would you wash sineglese twists? I had some put in today and want to make sure I care for my hair properly and not have any setbacks.

Hey Jobwright!
i usually wait a week or two before washing a new install.
I like to enjoy the freshness and frizzlessness while I can :grin: !
In the meantime you can use a moisturiser on your twists before you go to bed and put on a bonnet/scarf. I like to use S-curl in general, especially with Senegalese twists and crochet braids.

Hope that helps! :)