Braided ladies:Dipping Ends in Hot Water

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by missnurselady, Oct 8, 2008.

1. missnurselady

missnurselady New Member

Im in the process of putting my kinky twist back in tonight, and Im having second thoughts about dipping them in boiling hot water:ohwell: When I took them down my ends seemed really frizzy, even when they were wet. I should have taken a pic, I thought about trying the Kiyah fizzle but didnt. I Dcd twice during the week that they were out but they still looked the same. I know its not heat damage or anything because I had a major cut back in May and I have been in braids since then. Do you think that its from me rodding my twist and dipping them in that hottttt water? Should I just leave the ends straight even though it doesnt look as nice? Will I have to cut my hair??????

2. msa

msa New Member

Ever since I starting caring about my hair the idea of dipping my braids in boiling water makes me cringe...even though I did exactly that for my whole life. But, I think that's probably why I was never able to retain the length I gained while in braids. My ends were super frizzy and dry because of the boiling hot water. I always wondered if the heat from the water was causing heat damage (even though it wasn't from a flat iron or something). If boiling water can burn my skin, it definitely couldn't be good for my hair.

Last time I got my hair braided I made sure to get them longer than my hair and only dipped the fake hair. When I took my braids out, my ends were fine.

I don't know if you'll have to cut your hair. I think you should moisturize them daily and deep condition frequently to get them back to normal. If they start splitting, then cut them. I really only believe in cutting hair that is damaged.

3. LongHairDreams

LongHairDreams New Member

Are you dipping your hair or added hair? I agree with ^^ extend the added hair so your hair won't get into the water.

4. yuriko

yuriko New Member

IMO my ends were dry and frizzy whenever I did not moisturize my braids regardless of hot water. Even when I got human hair braids this happenened to me. I used to use a braid spray back in the day and saturate the whole braid every day. I am sure you can you a home made concoction of water, aloe vera juice, glycerin, oil and whatever good stuff you want to add. That is what worked for me.

5. Irresistible

Irresistible New Member

I never had problems doing this, although it would make sense that it couldnt be good, once in braids its hard to know where your real hair is, and I know I dipped up as far as I could go-its the best for loosening up for more movable braids, my hair grew tons when I braided

but your right , now this is something to think about :perplexed

6. missnurselady

missnurselady New Member

Hmm, Im still not sure, but I went ahead and dipped them. My hair and the added hair is about the same length maybe next time i will just leave the hair whole instead of cutting the pack in half. I do make sure to spray my hair daily with a mix of glycerin, rosewater, scurl and aphogee pro vit, maybe i need to up it to twice a day. I also DC the length of the braids once every other week, I will be doing it once a week concentrating on my ends and maybe add a acv rinse in there. I just hope Im not damaging my hair, my whole purpose of wearing these things is to retain length. Thanks for all of your replies

7. missnurselady

missnurselady New Member

Im gonna pick up some aloe vera juice in the morning! Thanks

8. yuriko

yuriko New Member

Just to add, boiling hot water is actually only 212 degrees, and we flat iron at hotter temperatures, so as a one time thing when you are getting your braids done, its really not bad.

9. Ivonnovi

Ivonnovi Well-Known Member

I'm currently wearing human hair extensions. I dip the "length" of the braids into hot water to clean them, then I dip them into concoction of hot water and Oil, to infuse some moisture/conditioning into them.

This may work for your synthetic/natual hair combo too.