Braiding Hair Question

ms_kenesha

What are the pros & cons of human hair vs synthetic?
What is the best synthetic? (I'm thinking Kankelon or Tokyalon)
For this style must I use human hair?

Can you wash your braids often w/ human hair?
Which type of hair is more likely to break your own hair?

Thanks in advance for the input! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Ennyaa

I can't see the pic to suggest which would be best.

As for the breakage I've used them all on my head. Human, Kanekelon, Toykelon. And the only time I've had problems is when I didn't keep them moisturized. Some folks hair is more sensitive than others though.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ms_kenesha said:
What are the pros &amp; cons of human hair vs synthetic?
What is the best synthetic? (I'm thinking Kankelon or Tokyalon)
For this style must I use human hair?

Can you wash your braids often w/ human hair?
Which type of hair is more likely to break your own hair?

Thanks in advance for the input! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Human hair
It's more expensive
It slips out a lot easier
Can hold a curl if thats what you desire

Synthetic
Cheaper
Holds up very well for up to 3 months.
A lot more colour choices than Human Hair

That's all I can think of for now.

Out of the 2 I prefer Toyokalon hands down.

Robin41

I wasn't able to open the picture either.

I've used all kinds of hair for extensions and find that I don't like human hair because it's expensive (especially for longer styles), it slips out at the most inconvenient times (trust me) and it itches no matter how many times I wash it. It just irritates my scalp.

I like both Toyokalon and Kanakelon cause I can get them both dirt cheap and they stay nice and neat longer than human hair.

ms_kenesha

Thanks y'all for the input synthetic it is! One more question: do y'all wash/treat the synthetic hair prior to braiding?

LondonDiva

Yes Ms K I do

Fill the sink with some warm water add some vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Keep the synthetic hair tied up as it comes in the packet with the elastic and all that. Swish it around in the water a few times, squeeze it out, rinse it off with more warm water, squeeze the excess again and hang to dry ot do as I did and hang it on the radiator for the night.

carrie

The best synthetic is definitely Kankelon or Tokyalon. I confess, I have never pretreated mine /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

Human hair, as stated slips out easy. I sweat way too much for it, and it always comes out at the WORST POSSIBLE time.

I am definitely getting mine done on Monday. I am gonna need help and support keep in them in, I will be counting on EACH of you to help me! I am gonna get the Wet N Wavy Tokyalon. I want to keep braids until July (at least) and yes, there will be touch ups and re-braids in there as needed!

I'ma be too cute!

L

legs71

/images/graemlins/bouncy.gif
Human hair is less stress on your natural hair, less tension, but it is expensive.

Synthetic hair is less expensive, but some people don't faare too well when using it, but if it is submersed in hot water it gives the same appearance of the human wet &amp; wavy
hair.

I wash my human hair braids every week and it seems to make them look better over time.

I do not experience any slippage with my human microbraids because my braiders are the bomb. I had very bad experiences with synthetic hair from allergic reactions to breakage. Despite human hair is very expensive I prefer it any day over the synthetic.HTH /images/graemlins/fallenangel.gif

neeki

Legs71.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't experience slippage with human hair. I believe if the braids are done properly, you should never lose a braid.

I agree, human hair looks even better over time. My braids are 10 weeks old, and I'm having them done redone this weekend, but I just got three compliments on them today.

AZJeepgurl

Ms Kenesha:
Dag, I wrote this really long post and then lost it!

Ok, here's the abbreviated version of my experience:

Kanekalon: long lasting, dries hair if not properly conditioned.
Toyakalon: Like the texture. started slipping after only a few weeks. Ends left out became ratty.
Human: Lost entire braids in many unknown places. Best, most natural texture. Slipped like a mug.

Now, you should also know that I have been braiding my own hair for the past 15 years and have only experimented once with human hair. And since I am not a professional braider, take my experience with a grain of salt.

Why don't you check out the Hair Lady's site? Heck with her hair all down her back like it is, she had to be doing something right! Growafrohairlong Hope I helped! /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Camille

Well I need a perm now and was going to go to the hairdreser tommorrow but now am thinking about braiding it instead. I just found out that after taking the braids out i should wait another two months before relaxing it again. By that time it woud have been 3 months since my last relaxer. Even with the deep conditions won't my hair break /images/graemlins/shocked.gif during that two month period?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Help please /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

Ennyaa

I never wait that long. I've always gotten my touch ups within a week of removing braids unless I was re-braiding. It hasn't caused me problems so long as I keep moisturized but everyone is different.

ms_kenesha

Camille,
I also never wait that long to get a retouch my hair would totally break off. Wait at least a week though and after you take your braids out make sure to use a protein conditioner.

Camille

See, that is what I thought. But i just wanted to make sure becuase of the new info I received. Thank You for your help. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

azul11

yeah i couldnt wait that long. i leave my braids in for 3 months so that would be mean i would have to wait 5 months till my next touch up. personally i couldnt do it. God bless you all.

Leshia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
carrie said:
The best synthetic is definitely Kankelon or Tokyalon. I confess, I have never pretreated mine /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

Human hair, as stated slips out easy. I sweat way too much for it, and it always comes out at the WORST POSSIBLE time.

I am definitely getting mine done on Monday. I am gonna need help and support keep in them in, I will be counting on EACH of you to help me! I am gonna get the Wet N Wavy Tokyalon. I want to keep braids until July (at least) and yes, there will be touch ups and re-braids in there as needed!

I'ma be too cute!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty. Hey, can you buy that Tokyalon online? I want some and I'm going to do my hair like this lady....Oh yeahhhhh.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tara

You must be reading my mind!! I'm glad you started this thread because I am about to get my hair braided as well and had the same questions.

I'm getting my hair braided in a cornrow style, and I want to still be able to wash at LEAST once per week, and I got human hair, so I'm hoping the rows will still lay neatly.

I'm bumping this and reading the responses /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stormy

I braid my own hair and always use human wet and wavy. I don't have problems with them slipping either. They stay in good until I take them out (6-8 weeks). They look more natural as time goes on.

Tgirl

Hello ladies. I'm new to the board. I am going to get my hair braided on Friday. I will be using the Toyakalon hair. My question is how do I wash these braids or do I have to? I've heard different things from dilute my regular shampoo with water to just clean my scalp with an astringent. Thank you for your help.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Welcome to the board! I posted this on another thread.[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest that you wash it as you normally would. Only instead of putting the shampoo directly on your braids. Put the shampoo in a large cup and fill it 1/2 way with water. Mix this together. Put the braids in large braid sections and pour the shampoo over the braided sections and squeeze through make sure to massage your scalp. It will be much easier to rinse out then. I usually shampoo twice. Make sure you towel squeeze your hair dry. Then follow the shampoo with your favorite leave in conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

soslychic

I want to get my hair braided and leave the ends out. I want it straight so for that I would have to get human hair right? would dthe toyakalon or other synthetic look too fake and crimpy?

soslychic

Oh also, what is wet and wavy? What does it look like (wet and wavy? lol) and how can that look be accomplished with hot water and synthetic hair? How do you do it?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
I want to get my hair braided and leave the ends out. I want it straight so for that I would have to get human hair right? would dthe toyakalon or other synthetic look too fake and crimpy?

[/ QUOTE ] I recently braided my hair with kanekalon hair and left the very ends out. It came out pretty nice for my first time braiding my own hair. I am going to post a pic soon in the gallery. If you want more styling versatility then you should get human hair. Only thing is it is more expensive and I try to cut costs any way posibble.