Braidout maintenance ?

kisz4tj

When you do a braidout how do you keep it fresh, do you re-braid it when you sleep?

Usually after a couple of days of a braid out my hair feels dry and I experience alot of breakage. Share your braid out success with me.

Well, I haven't worn a braidout in over a year, but ironically, I think I'm going to do one this evening.

I normally rebraid my hair every other night, because I have the same problem. I don't wash it each time I rebraid--I just spray bottle, moisturize and braid.

I apply moisturizer on my braidout at night and lightly wrap my hair with a scarf at night. That pretty much keeps my braidout looking good...as a matter of fact, it sometimes looks better after a couple of days :grin:

I've gotta whip my activator out!! Hopefully I'll have a good report at the end of the week.

Supastar said:
I normally rebraid my hair every other night, because I have the same problem. I don't wash it each time I rebraid--I just spray bottle, moisturize and braid.

This is exactly what I did when I wore braidouts.

I do exactly what Supastar does....whip out a spray bottle filled with a leave-in of my choice, moisturize my ends but I wash and rebraid every 7 days...I love braidouts..makes your hair look thicker and fuller.
Summer hairstyles: 90% of the time in twists and twistout superfro.
Hair goal: 5 inches past brastrap by Dec. 2005
pics coming in July!! public.fotki.com.Diane71

I usually braid one night then leave out and cover with scarf, then braid just the front and sides 2 days later. I put a lot NTM leave in every day and jojoba oil

I usually apply a leave-in like Lacio, Lacio or Terax Hydrate Lotion to my hair each night. I use wild growth oil on my roots to smooth down new growth, and I apply a mixture of evoo, castor oil and jojoba through out my hair and finally I re-braid. I do this every night for 2-3 days and then I wash. This is currently my summer style, and I've been rocking it for about a month and half. I think using the extra oil on my ends keeps it from being super dry. I had the same problem for about two weeks and then I realized that I needed more moisture.

In an emergency when the braidout is really looking kinda funky and I don't have time to rebraid just then, I use Sebastian Wet. I lightly wet my hair and then put on the Sebastian product. It really does give you a "wet " look - ie shine, definition. The only downside is that it has a gel effect so, even though it looks wet it's sort of crunchy. :( If it's a REALLY funky day, I'll put it into a ponytail that way. Works for me until I can redo it! :)

Me too, but I it seems alot of the women here do them often, I wondered if it was only me.

I've been doing the bantu knots/chingy bumps, my hair looked cute yesterday. I had to comb my hair out last night before I do my knot again. Do you gals comb it out or do you just do the knot over? This style definitely tangles my hair. :ohwell:

I wash my hair, get it braided then unbraid it. It usually stays for the week. I just spray Keracare silken seal on it to get some kind of shine. I sleep in a silk bonnet and that's it. Just fluff it back out in the morning. Cause the side I sleep on tends to flatten a lil.

I do notice more knotting and tangles. I've been doing braid outs for the past couple of weeks and it seems the biggest problem is moisture. So I've started using coconut milk with my conditioner and that seems to help a lot. I'm still not sure if my breakage is any less then usual.

I comb and detangle mine every night and apply coconut oil and re-braid. (By the way, I do my braid outs with two braids) and either pin-curl each braid or put each one up in a magnetic roller. Also, after I wash my hair (twice a week) I sit under my soft bonnet on low (high is too hot for my scalp) for an hour and half, and the last time I used a flat iron on each of the braids before taking them out.(to the count of three down each section). I really liked the effect but I may regret it later.

Buffalosoldier recommends Akiva Milk and Honey, which I've ordered so we'll see.

Last edited:
I braid my hair after an airdried rollerset for a looser wave pattern. Before going to bed, I moisturize the ends and braid my hair up each night, wearing a silk or satin scarf over it. No other products except for moisturizing my ends and smoothing on a little Aveda Anti-Humectant after unbraiding. Since I wash twice each week, my hair stays moisturized. Too much product makes my braidouts stiff and I want my hair to swing!

I've been doing braidouts for over 5 years now. I am not crazy about getting perms and I don't like putting heat on my hair so this is the best option for me. During the summer I take a rest and do daily co washes. Braidouts can really dry your hair out. So I have to watch my shedding. To prevent my dryed out ends I would use coconut oil and Elasta QP mano butter. I can only go 2 days with a braidout before it gets dry. I've learned that for my hair this is the best way to achieve growth and it's a cute hairstyle.

I use a little unrefinded shebutter on my ends, spritz my hair with my distilled water/leave-in mix and Kerastase cream for my braid outs. I just braid it at night and finger style it in the morning with a little aveda serum. I do not get any shedding this way. I usually do braidout up-do's, instead of wearing it down.

I did my first braid out the other day(by accident - didn't have time to rollerset after going to the gym). I liked the look and wanted to keep it, so I moistened my hair with my rosemary water, added a little leave-in and gently combed.

I didn't have any major shedding and NO broken ends.

Back