BRAIDOUT VS ROLLERSET- LENGTH RETENTION

Did your hair thrive on Braidouts or Rollersets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackberry815

Hey ladies! here goes another question from me again....

Which is better for retaining length? Braidouts or rollersets? I'm an avid rollersetter but I want to try to minimize manipulation and breakage but not at the high price of getting knots and chewed up ends... what do you ladies think?? BRAIDOUTS or ROLLERSETS FOR LENGTH RETENTION????

Solitude

I retained length better when I used to do rollersets consistently (weekly). I fell in love with braidouts, but they caused tangling and dry ends. IMO, you should stick with rollersets and just do braidouts occasionally. The good thing about braidouts, though, is that it's a heatless style.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I have been retaining using both styles - there isn't a choice for both tho. LOL

I would alternate between both.

AlliCat

I'm biased because I only do braidouts. But I would imagine the rollersetting process to be more manipulation b/c of all the combing

blackberry815

How often do you guys redo the braids for braidouts sorry if thats a silly question but I'm imagining it would prolly have to be done nightly right?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

Solitude

I redo my braids nightly which is more manipulation & unless I re-moisturize, my hair gets really dry. Some pile their hair up at night instead of re-braiding, but your hair might be too long.

Mische

Braidouts for sure. I did a rollerset last week and had more breakage than I normally do due to all of the manipulation. I'm returning to my tried and true method of airdrying in braids before I end up causing a setback. :rolleyes:

blackberry815

pineapple method to preserve braidouts at night (works for braidouts on natural and relaxed hair):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3qYCiI1x5s

Thanks! I just watched that video. Somehow I think I would definitely flatten the pineapple in my sleep..lol I'm gonna try rebraiding nightly. I think it would look fresher that way. Plus I wouldn't mind remoisturizing moisturizing since I moisturize. often anyway.

blackberry815

Braidouts for sure. I did a rollerset last week and had more breakage than I normally do due to all of the manipulation. I'm returning to my tried and true method of airdrying in braids before I end up causing a setback. :rolleyes:
Thanks... I think what ill do is alternate the two...or maybe base it on my growth. Simething like when I'm 0-5 weeks post relaxer roller set the hair and 6-10 weeks post do a braidout.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
a braid n curl so i do a bit of both. once a week i cowash and then do about 18-22 braids and roll the ends. it lasts about a week and very little manipulation besides the styling.

Softerlove

Flexi, rods/rollersets.
Braidouts gave me SSK and tangles currently. I find flexirods, smaller than what would, worjing, for my, hair dont, tangled, as much, as braidouts.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

Ariana4000

Are flexi rods considered rollersets? I like the look and no knots. Braidouts knot up for me after the first day.

ackee walk

i voted rollersets. but i think the answer partially depends on the texture of your hair and how you are styling your hair after wash day. over time, consistent braid outs, twist sets and the like will chew up my ends. i like the look of braid outs but i have to alternate

NikStarrr

I like both, but my vote (as a natural) would be braidouts. Braidouts don't require me to section my hair into small sections or use a rat toothed comb like a rollerset may require, which means less manipulation. Also, braidouts last longer on my natural hair than rollersets.

If braidouts are hard on your ends, do braid n curls where you roll the ends of the braids.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Britt

I think braidouts involve for more manipulation. U hv to braid nightly, u get more tangles, its more pulling and tugging on the hair. I like braids outs as an occasional style and to stretch ur relaxed but imo it involves more than rollersetting. I don't lose much hair at all fr rollersetting. The tail comb mostly glides through my hair. At night u can do whatever. With braids/twists u need to maintain it nightly. BTW- I'm speaking as a relaxed head. I think natural hair can moreso withstand the daily twisting and branding.

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

fashion87

Braidouts are tangle galore for me, and I don't rollersets either. But if I had to choose one it would be a rollerset definitely. Twists or twistouts get nothing but :love2: from me.

MegB29203

Rollersetting helps me retain more length. Before I started transitioning, that's pretty much all I did to my hair was rollerset...Now I don't as much because I'm 9 months into a transition and rollersetting requires me to flat iron my roots...So braidouts are my staple but they are horribly drying to my ends.

SuchaLady

I would have to say rollerset. I spiral set my hair six days ago and I could wear it another 2- 3 days if I wanted to. I havent combed it in six days so manipulation is at 0. Im going to wash it roll it back up and do it all over again for another week. The few braid outs I attempted left little pieces of hair everywhere and dry ends. That method not working for me.

Softerlove

I would have to say rollerset. I spiral set my hair six days ago and I could wear it another 2- 3 days if I wanted to. I havent combed it in six days so manipulation is at 0. Im going to wash it roll it back up and do it all over again for another week. The few braid outs I attempted left little pieces of hair everywhere and dry ends. That method not working for me.

Yeppers, braidouts left my semi raggedy ends Extra Raggedy! Team rollersets, flexi rods!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

blackberry815

Ok ladies its bot looking too good for braidouts right now. I did one last night and I'm not liking the look of these ends...Smh its a cache22 because on one hand its less manipulation but ok the other hand its makes yr ends raggety.. which in turn would cause the ends to break off.. not liking the prospects there...

sweetlaughter

Braidouts for me. rollersetting leads to tangles in my hair b/c no matter how flat and tight i get the rollers, my hair will dry bent and curled at the ends causing tangles all over. plus braidouts are better in humid climates IMO. i use KCCC with KCKT or my honey child alone to set the braidouts and so far my 4a hair has not tangled. i even did a braidout on wng hair from last night when i went to bed.

brownbean96

I would vote for a rod set as oppose to a rollerset where In my head, I'd do to wear my hair semi straight. Rollersets wouldn't work for me because my hair never gets straight enough to wear out plus my hair Hates to be in two states - semi straight (rollerset) & natural. My hair would break and tangle gallore. I mostly do a rollerset if I was going to follow up with flat-ironing. My roller of choice are flexi rods and rod rollers and I don't use a comb, I part with my hands and the style lasts @ least a week (my current weekly style of choice is the braid & curl. The older it gets in the week, the more I love it). Its zero manipulation so I retain length. I've never been able to get a braid or twistout to last more thann a few days and besides, my hair doesn't retain moisture in those styles and I get crazy tangles.