BRAIDOUT VS ROLLERSET- LENGTH RETENTION

Did your hair thrive on Braidouts or Rollersets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

**WonderWoman**

I vote roller setting. If I deep condition my hair well and use a good leave-in and PM Skinny Serum the rattail comb just glides through my hair. I typically use small rollers so that as the days go by and my curls start to drop, I still maintain some sort of curly look and I don't have to comb my hair. For me, rollersetting involves very little manipulation because at night I just dab a finger into my daily moisturizer, spread across my fingers and run my fingers through my hair. I repeat using coconut oil, as a sealant. Then, I simply tuck my hair into my silk hair bonnet and that's it for the rest of the week! Very simple.

Rollersetting works better for retention because it takes care of your ends better than braidouts, IMHO.

Last edited:

SuchaLady

I would vote for a rod set as oppose to a rollerset where In my head, I'd do to wear my hair semi straight. Rollersets wouldn't work for me because my hair never gets straight enough to wear out plus my hair Hates to be in two states - semi straight (rollerset) & natural. My hair would break and tangle gallore. I mostly do a rollerset if I was going to follow up with flat-ironing. My roller of choice are flexi rods and rod rollers and I don't use a comb, I part with my hands and the style lasts @ least a week (my current weekly style of choice is the braid & curl. The older it gets in the week, the more I love it). Its zero manipulation so I retain length. I've never been able to get a braid or twistout to last more thann a few days and besides, my hair doesn't retain moisture in those styles and I get crazy tangles.

I rod set my hair this past week. I'm sold for the rest of the year!

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

SuchaLady

I vote roller setting. If I deep condition my hair well and use a good leave-in and PM Skinny Serum the rattail comb just glides through my hair. I typically use small rollers so that as the days go by and my curls start to drop, I still maintain some sort of curly look and I don't have to comb my hair. For me, rollersetting involves very little manipulation because at night I just dab a finger into my daily moisturizer, spread across my fingers and run my fingers through my hair. I repeat using coconut oil, as a sealant. Then, I simply tuck my hair into my silk hair bonnet and that's it for the rest of the week! Very simple.

Rollersetting works better for retention because it takes care of your ends better than braidouts, IMHO.

What moisturizer do you use? My curls did dry out a little and I didn't know what to put on them.

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

Bun Mistress

How often do you guys redo the braids for braidouts sorry if thats a silly question but I'm imagining it would prolly have to be done nightly right?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

I had breakage with rollersets so I stop doing them. I do braidouts now, I rebraid everynight with hawanii 14 n 1 or AO egyptian henna clean rinse. And seal with oil. I finger detangle daily. I have had problems with dry ends of tangles. But you have to remove shed hairs on the daily, or you will.

Luscious850

Really can't choose between the two. I LOVE ROLLER SETS more than any other protective style but Idk how it will hold up with my workouts so braidouts are a better option for me. Both allow me to retain my length.

LynnieB

Since May, 07, most of my length retention styles of been between regular ole twists, braid/twist outs on wet or blowdried hair. The longer my hair got the more a pain in the arse rollersetting became so it's limited occasional use only. Then there's the loooooong drying to top it all off :nono:

Rollersetting, for me, requires too much parting, combing and manipulation to do routinely.

Braid outs have been a lifesaver but like everything else, you're going to have to figure out what works best for you and your hair.

Good luck!!

blackberry815

i voted rollersets. but i think the answer partially depends on the texture of your hair and how you are styling your hair after wash day. over time, consistent braid outs, twist sets and the like will chew up my ends. i like the look of braid outs but i have to alternate

ackee walk are u natural or relaxed?

ackee walk

blackberry815 thank the Lord for the mention feature because otherwise i would never have seen your post. i have not been to this side of the board in a long time!

anyway, i'm relaxed. as a 4b, rollersets would not even be an option on washday if i were natural.

looking back at the responses, i see a lot of people talking about the manipulation factor of each. if you look at the process for relaxed heads, braidouts require far more manipulation-- the process of parting, combing thru, braiding the hair and possibly rolling the ends on wash day and then needing to redo that each night or every few nights-- that's a ton of manipulation. with a rollerset, you comb thru and roll the hair on wash day and depending on what type of style you're going for, you may not have to comb your hair again the next day or even the day after.

my vote remains with rollersets for better length retention.