braidouts, twistouts, bantu knots

sunny

Ive basically mastered the straight air dried look, but now im lookin' for a little versatility...i want to know how to do a braidout. All ladies with collar bone to shoulder length hair please tell me how many braids you make, where u put them ,how big they are, etc. Im looking for a wavy flowy effect..not a really tight wave pattern. Oh and im not going to rule out any other methods so if u have had good /better results with twistouts or bantu knots u can share those too.
Thanx ladies.

AngelaP

When I do my braidouts, I usually lightly dampen my hair with distilled water and add a little oil. Then I spray a generous amount of Sta-sof-fro and section it into four parts, straight back. I then put in two braids in each section for a total of eight braids.

I use a sponge roller on the ends and put on my silk scarf. You need to make sure it's TOTALLY dry before you unbraid it though cuz if it's still somewhat wet, it will start to look dry and frizzy by midday. When I take it down, I just pick it out with my fingers.

If you just want waves, you may want to try twists.

Isis

I'm wearing a braid out right now, braided on hair air dried from the night before. It was just slightly damp when I braided it into 4 braids, braided towards the back of my head so it would fall mainly in that direction. I posted a pic of my braid out today - no tight curls, just loose, bouncy and swingy waves. Since I'll be braiding overnight, I usually get a little more defined waves.

I also work in a small amount of Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade over my braid out (with my hands - never a comb) for shine and to prevent it from frizzing up if it's a humid day. It does loosen the wave a bit though.