Braidouts/twistouts Keep Frizzing Out And Shrinking In New City

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
This is a lil vent but I may need some advise or something. I recently moved to a new city from Atlanta to Memphis. Even though the climates are similar, hot and humid, my hair does not turn out right no matter what I do here in Memphis. Braidouts have been my go to style when I lived in Kentucky and Georgia. Now my braidouts just lose definition, poof out and shrink up like an oompa-loompa. Today I tried a flat-twist out and the same thing happened. I would say Atlanta is a bit more humid and Memphis is a bit more hotter, but I'm not sure what I could do to get my hair right here in Memphis. I've watched several youtube natural hair videos to try and get some insight but haven't had any success. By the way, my hair hates glycerin too. Any suggestions?

Poohbear

What products are you using ?
I don't use many products but my staples for braidouts have always been Aussie Moist Conditioner and Dax Pomade. Before styling, I would blowdry my hair with Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Serum.

In the past, I would sometimes use EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel but one day I tried that and my hair was a big mess. Plus EcoStyler has glycerin in it.

Poohbear

@Poohbear I looked up a random Memphis zip code on the curly forecast and it gave me the temperature with the dew points and humidity levels.

It’s saying you need products that have a strong hold and anti humectants in order to rock a stretched style.
The Fantasia serum and the Dax pomade that I use are anti humectants. That's why I don't understand why my hair keeps frizzing and shrinking. Maybe I need to style my hair with beeswax, Lol!

I have EcoStyler gel but it's always been a hit or miss because of the glycerin in it.

PlanetCybertron

I wouldn’t use conditioner in your braidouts or twistouts if reversion is the specific issue at hand. If any moisture comes into contact with conditioners, they tend to reactivate and make the hair revert to some degree. But that’s under the assumption that humidity levels are higher.

Frizz can also be caused from dryness. Contrary to popular belief. Pomades can get the job done, but it seems gels do much more justice. Pomades don’t always ensure they’re gonna be moisturizing in the long term.

You can always go the flaxseed Gel route if you’re finding gels that are mostly Glycerin based.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The Fantasia serum and the Dax pomade that I use are anti humectants. That's why I don't understand why my hair keeps frizzing and shrinking. Maybe I need to style my hair with beeswax, Lol!

I have EcoStyler gel but it's always been a hit or miss because of the glycerin in it.
You put the conditioner on blow dried hair that you used the serum to blow dry with?
If I’m reading your correctly.

There’s nothing with holding power in the pomade. It’s a sealer. So it’s holding moisture in but there’s no staying power for your style which you used conditioner to essential be the leave in

@Poohbear

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The heat protectant is used as a barrier to prevent moisture and keep hair straight and keep heat out right?

Then you layered a water based product over it and sealed it in with a sealer (petroleum)

In the winter here in NJ if I did that the petroleum would hold my style because there’s no humidity in the air but as soon as my head started sweating , poof city.

Poohbear

You put the conditioner on blow dried hair that you used the serum to blow dry with?
If I’m reading your correctly.

There’s nothing with holding power in the pomade. It’s a sealer. So it’s holding moisture in but there’s no staying power for your style which you used conditioner to essential be the leave in

@Poohbear
Yes, that is correct.

I will first blowdry my hair with the Fantasia IC Serum.

Then I will style my hair using Aussie Moist conditioner and Dax Pomade.

Sometimes, if I do not use the conditioner with the pomade (using pomade by itself), my hair will feel wiry and greasy.

nyeredzi

Have you ever tried just washing and conditioning, rinse out completely, and then style with just a little oil? Dows that sound like it would work for you? Not sure if it's the healthiest, but my most defined twist outs are on hair with almost no product

Sarabellam

Depending on your goal aesthetic here are possible areas to target:

-Air dry: least reversion risk
-Dry on cool only: less reversion risk
-Switch to glycerine free conditioners and pomades/stylers
-Skip the conditioner and seal with oil only
-If all of you stylers are conditioner free, look at your deep conditioner. If may contain glycerine the is clinging to your hair if you aren’t thoroughly rinsing it out (many people don’t, including myself)
- avoid other common humectants like honey.

Poohbear

Have you ever tried just washing and conditioning, rinse out completely, and then style with just a little oil? Dows that sound like it would work for you? Not sure if it's the healthiest, but my most defined twist outs are on hair with almost no product
I tried this one time... I rinsed everything out, but used Dax pomade only instead of oil on damp hair for a braidout. Did not work. My hair was stringy and greasy.

I will try just JBCO or safflower oil alone next time. I have both of these products.

Poohbear

Depending on your goal aesthetic here are possible areas to target:

-Air dry: least reversion risk
-Dry on cool only: less reversion risk
-Switch to glycerine free conditioners and pomades/stylers
-Skip the conditioner and seal with oil only
-If all of you stylers are conditioner free, look at your deep conditioner. If may contain glycerine the is clinging to your hair if you aren’t thoroughly rinsing it out (many people don’t, including myself)
- avoid other common humectants like honey.
Thanks but I recently tried to airdry and my hair felt wiry and brittle and became frizzy immediately. I'm gonna try the seal with oil only like nyeredzi suggested as well.

I started deep conditioning when I moved here too. I never deep conditioned regularly when I was in Atlanta. The last deep conditioner I used was Picture Me Natural Deep Conditioner which I believe had glycerin in it. But I used it all up, so I don't have to worry about that product anymore.