Braids back to back

keke

I use s-curl on my braids now too and i MUST say i REEEEALLY like this. Its been almost 2 weeks and i have NO buildup and NO hair i see that looks like its sheddin. Usually i would see some lil bulbs which means some hair has come out but i dont. I look closely too eeeverynight and my hair does nto look dry at all and it doesnt feel that way either. wow i cant believe this s-curl works so well even w/braids. I think what im gonna do is after these go out, i'll rest my hair for 2 weeks and then start on tryin to braid it myself now that i know how to hook in the hair(soooooo stinkin GEEKED about that. lol) and see how that goes. :^D I also know how to make the hair stay shiney and soft and smooth i also learned a lil technique from the afro braiders using a hair dryer which will smooth the hair out some(the fake hair that is)

keke

What i have done to my human/fake haired ponytails is take a brush( a soft one that will not pull the hairs out too much or so) and brush the hair a lil bit first, loosen it, then i spray some s-curl all on the hair and brush it in and then i spray in some Motions Oil sheen and conditioning Hair spray on2 the hair. I just did that on some synthetic hair and i was like 8^O at the shine and smoothness of it. I havent used this hair yet but i did that monday and it is still shiney like that. I look at it everyday im so amazed. Also to help it get a nice smooth apearance is that i take the hair and hold it and take a blowdryer on a warm-hot temp and blow dry the hair a bit. This loosens and smooths the hair out better. I got that technique from the african braiders who put my rows in. LOL. I'm DEFinitely going to do this more on syn/human hai. I wonder if this can work on my own hair. Hmmm. Btw i just got me some Aloe vera gel so im gona try a routine that some of u guys do w/it on my mama's hair since her's is the only unweaved/braided hair i can get to. LOL. I've always wanted to get some and kinda felt it may work on hair too but i wasnt sure. Now i find out it also work on blemishes too
Ok im done hope this helps and ya understand it. hehe

Lylddlebit

I wore back to back braid for most of my childhood starting around the first grade and adulthood up to around 22-23, when I got serious about growing my hair out and learning my natural hair better. I would have braids anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months(no kidding... the middle would be the original braids, the perimeter would be fresh and I would have inches of new growth in the middle... it would be pulled up into a bun so no one could tell the middle braids were the oldest... when I started braiding my own hair I would just rotate doing a section every month or so my whole head always looked fresh braided). Other times I would take my hair out on the weekend and have my hair back braided within a week. My hair was always super thick and between between APL and BSL. I know now that I was way too rough with my hair on take down days. I also allowed my braider(before I started braiding my own) to be way too rough with my real hair. Being too rough and allowing too rough were the main factors that prevented me from retaining much more length back then because I had really good growth with the braids. I still love braids; it just takes too long to braid my hair now so I no longer do. I never really had scalp damage or bald spots. I never had any scalp issues. However, I do think it is very important to learn your real hair along the way even if you love protective styles. By learning your real hair along the way you make it less likely that you real hair won't overwhelm you because you learned it step by step, as opposed to trying to handle an overwhelming amount of hair once you reach your goal. I, personally, have had to cut major sections of hair after reaching goals first and trying to learn my haircare second. I have also experienced a hair dresser set back because I had a great head of hair I couldn't style the way I wanted myself and trusted someone else to to my hair while I was still trying to learn styling a large amount of natural hair(it was weird I could braid like nobody's business but learning natural hair was a brand new thing to me when I started actually styling my hair as opposed to just washing and braiding it back up). When I learned how to keep APL hair cute and healthy then it was more practical for me to not ruin it when I was keeping BSL hair cute and healthy then to mid-back hair cute and healthy etc.....

Last edited:

Tulips4u

I’ve had braids back to back this entire year. I’m currently on my 4th set. I keep my box braids in for about 2.5 months, take them down and have my hair breathe for a week and then I get a new set.

The pandemic made me too lazy to even bother with my natural hair. I have no breakage or bald spots and my hair is thriving in this protective style. I started with a fresh hair cut that placed me at SL at the top of this year and now I’m grazing MBL with my recent braid install.

I honestly believe that the health of your hair in braids is a combination of your braider’s braiding technique and proper care, i.e. moisturizing.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I’ve been braiding pretty much back to back during this pandemic too. I do them myself and I do not add a lot of hair, so there’s minimal stress on the hairline. I do protein and moisturizing treatments in between installs, and I moisturize and oil my scalp with JBCO religiously. My hair seems to be honestly thriving. I just took it out for the weekend and wore a cute braidout, then did a protein treatment and braided it up again for the next five weeks (I think I want a sew-in around Christmas time).

oneastrocurlie

However, I do think it is very important to learn your real hair along the way even if you love protective styles. By learning your real hair along the way you make it less likely that you real hair won't overwhelm you because you learned it step by step, as opposed to trying to handle an overwhelming amount of hair once you reach your goal.

A word.

That's all I had to add. Lol.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I might actually do that this year except I might change braids for twist, even though braids last longer. If I have enough hair, I’ll get some knot less braids.