Braids caused possible Damage

hairless29

Hi ladies, maybe someone has experienced this as well. I last had a touch up in Sept 04, since then i had been following the condition washes and protective styles, etc. Well back in february i got braids finally, (prior to that my hair seemed to be flourishing - had a ton of new growth..and just the normal breakage which i kept moisterized) well the brand of hair i bought was the wet/wavy synthetic (cheap brand for 3.99 a pack, it was the toyakalon (sp?) hair too), ok while in braids i kept my hair moisterized with oils, braid spray and even washed my hair too on and off. I kept the braids in for 6 weeks and let me tell you taking them out was no walk in the park!!
the hair its self seemed to get very tangled as i unloosened each braid (not my hair, the synthetic), but i was VERY PATIENT in taking out the braids and separating my hair and combing so that i would not get knots when washing..ok what i noticed in the middle part of my hair was it was not as long as before i braided my hair, but i attributed it to new growth.and shrinkage
..WELL i went to get my hair washed and deep conditioned and blow out (dominican blow out?) and the hairdresser trimmed my ends and yes they did need to be trimmed...!! Once everything was done and I got to look at my hair I was shocked by how THIN it has gotten and also in the back where i once had a somewhat decent look of fullness/thickness..that is gone!...this is the first time i have ever had a BAD braid experience..where i feel i lost hair and the braids made my already somewhat thin hair even thinner..! Has this happened to anyone else before? and what would you recommend me doing in getting back on track?? TIA

cocoa2122

This is interesting because I usually use Kanekelon hair for my braids. I have been getting braids at least once a year for the past 10 years. Now, the one time I used the toyokalon hair, I did notice that my hair broke off alot in the back and was thin also. I thought it was because of strinkage also, but after getting it relaxed, my hair dresser had to give me a major trim/cut. My hair was long anyway, but after the trim I was right back to where I was when I started and I felt like getting braids was in vain. After the trim and deep condition though, I was back on track. That was the first time I had ever had a bad braid experience also in all my years of getting braids. I attriubte it to the toyokalon hair.

hairless29

Exactly...I'm believing it was definitely that brand of hair...I have always had a positive experience with braids and then BAM! I will never get that brand of hair again...i want to braid my hair again, but probably not for a couple of months, I want to work on getting it strong again...this is just really sad, cause like you felt, i feel the same way that getting those braids was in vain and i'm back at square one

SilkyandSmooth

Yes, it has happened to me several times, but I've finally learned my lesson. I will never, ever, ever put extensions in my hair again. Like you, I took extra care of my hair while I had the braids in, but it still broke.I've come to the conclusion that braids and my hair just do not mix. As far as nursing my hair back to health is concerned, I extended my relaxer, deep conditioned twice a week, and took my vitamins faithfully. My hair is once again healthy.

Irresistible

I used the toyokalon once, and only lasted two weeks with it, it was irritating my scalp...and i saw wayyyy more shedding when i took them out, than i ever saw with kankelon in the past...im glad i took them out that quickly. im sure within six weeks i would not of had much hair left. I will never use it again

Laginappe

Shoot! I just got my hair braided with Toyokalon - only the type I used was more of a soft curled / body wave. It looks like the hair was rollerset on large rollers - so I have big loops and curls at the ends of my braids. My braider said that this hair felt smoother and was easier to braid with than other's she's used before...so I'm hoping thats a good sign.

So far I've had no problems with tangling etc. But I'll definitely keep an eye on it as time progresses and when its time to take them out. My take down date is probably going to be the weekend of the 30th which will be just over 4 weeks for me.

ETA - I had the opposite experience with Kanekolon last year. Broke out horribly on my second day into the braids. My braids were very stiff with lots of tangling and breakage. Hated the experience. Plus I realize now that I had a not-so-great braider too, so that compounded the problem.

hairless29

Let this be a WARNING to potential braiders wanting to use synthetic hair...STAY AWAY from purchasing the Toyokalon or risk possible hair loss!! I wish i had taking mine out at 2 weeks because in looking back, the first 2 weeks i did get some itching and irritation, but i just sprayed my braid spray on my scalp and IGNORED it

Laginappe

I'm trying to figure something out.

Is the itching and irritation caused by an allergic reaction to the hair? Or the braids are too tight? Or maybe some kind of reaction between the hair and one of the products being used?

I know with me and my allergies - it could be any and all things. With my Kanekalon braids last year, I believe I had a reaction to whatever chemicals etc they use to process or manufacture the hair. When I realized that I was breaking out, I shampood and then did an ACV rince - and from then on I had no further problems with itching. So that leads me to believe that I'm most likely allergic to the chemicals in that particular brand of hair. And if I were to ever use it again, I'd make sure that I pre-treat the hair before braiding.

I can tell that I'm not allergic to this brand of Toyokalon becuase if I was going to break out, I would have done so by day 2.

Something else I'm wondering... I wonder if the shedding that some of you are experiencing is another symptom of a possible allergy?? Meaning your scalp is allergic to the chemicals or the hair itself which causes it to itch and shed...just a theory. I'll have to run this by my dermatologist next time I go in.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
hairless29 said:
Let this be a WARNING to potential braiders wanting to use synthetic hair...STAY AWAY from purchasing the Toyokalon or risk possible hair loss!! I wish i had taking mine out at 2 weeks because in looking back, the first 2 weeks i did get some itching and irritation, but i just sprayed my braid spray on my scalp and IGNORED it

[/ QUOTE ] I almost did the same thing, just cause i didnt want to take it down that fast after all that work..but it was bothering me too much to stand it. i kept oiling my scalp , then i finally just gave in and took them out.

the toyokalon is a better feeling/looking hair and easier to braid with, but it cuts your own hair like glass. I know others have used it just fine, but i know i wont be using it again. no matter how pretty it is...its only Kankelon for me if i should ever braid again.

Laginappe

Something else to ponder.... (forgive me, my mind is stuck on allergies and synthetic hair right now)

I also wonder if its possible to be allergic to a certain brand of Toyokalon or Kanekalon synthetic hair. Because there are so many different manufacturers out there - and they all say 100% Toyokalon or 100% Kanekalon…but I’m sure each company does something different to create their product. Diff chemicals and processes etc. So while I had a bad reaction to one brand of Kanekalon – maybe I wouldn’t with another brand. And same goes with Toyokalon. I’m doing great with the brand I’m wearing right now…but maybe I wouldn’t if I used a different manufacturer. OR maybe if I used a different style… because isn’t it possible that the chemicals and process they use to change the texture / style of the synthetic fibers might be different from one texture to another? Wet n wavy vs straigt vs body curls…. They might all have different chemicals etc used to create them – even though they’re the same manufacturer and say 100% Toyokalon or 100% Kanekalon….

Ok I know I’m over analyzing this….

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
I'm trying to figure something out.

Is the itching and irritation caused by an allergic reaction to the hair? Or the braids are too tight? Or maybe some kind of reaction between the hair and one of the products being used?

I know with me and my allergies - it could be any and all things. With my Kanekalon braids last year, I believe I had a reaction to whatever chemicals etc they use to process or manufacture the hair. When I realized that I was breaking out, I shampood and then did an ACV rince - and from then on I had no further problems with itching. So that leads me to believe that I'm most likely allergic to the chemicals in that particular brand of hair. And if I were to ever use it again, I'd make sure that I pre-treat the hair before braiding.

I can tell that I'm not allergic to this brand of Toyokalon becuase if I was going to break out, I would have done so by day 2.

Something else I'm wondering... I wonder if the shedding that some of you are experiencing is another symptom of a possible allergy?? Meaning your scalp is allergic to the chemicals or the hair itself which causes it to itch and shed...just a theory. I'll have to run this by my dermatologist next time I go in.

[/ QUOTE ] all i can tell you is i braided my hair myself , so i know it wasnt too tight. and i didnt use new products, just pure coconut oil. for me it was definitley the hair. not sure if it was an allergic reaction or not. all i know is i had alot of shedding for only having them in for two weeks.
I'm just very thankfull i didnt wait any longer...as soon as i took them out my scalp felt better.

I was told by some that that kind of hair has the potential to cut at your own hair, maybe it was doing the same to my scalp?? i dunno....

if your not having any problems then dont worry, lots of people have worn that hair with no problems, if you can though, take one braid down and see if you see alot of shedding...if you do, take them out.

blkbeauty

Ugh..wow, I never tried that kinda hair, but I am glad that you are giving the heads up. I am transitioning to natural and I am about to get some braids for the summer. I will definately use precaution when I do. Thanks again and take care!

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
Something else to ponder.... (forgive me, my mind is stuck on allergies and synthetic hair right now)

I also wonder if its possible to be allergic to a certain brand of Toyokalon or Kanekalon synthetic hair. Because there are so many different manufacturers out there - and they all say 100% Toyokalon or 100% Kanekalon…but I’m sure each company does something different to create their product. Diff chemicals and processes etc. So while I had a bad reaction to one brand of Kanekalon – maybe I wouldn’t with another brand. And same goes with Toyokalon. I’m doing great with the brand I’m wearing right now…but maybe I wouldn’t if I used a different manufacturer. OR maybe if I used a different style… because isn’t it possible that the chemicals and process they use to change the texture / style of the synthetic fibers might be different from one texture to another? Wet n wavy vs straigt vs body curls…. They might all have different chemicals etc used to create them – even though they’re the same manufacturer and say 100% Toyokalon or 100% Kanekalon….

Ok I know I’m over analyzing this….

[/ QUOTE ] your not over analyzing at all, anything is possible. i just know after my experience with it, i wouldnt touch any kind of toyokalon hair. but if your not having any problems, then i wouldnt worry about it. just check if you can for any shedding...quite a few people told me that kind of hair can actually cut through your own hair...i really couldnt make any more sense of why i lost that much hair...my daughter's hair was in braids with kankelon for twice as long and i lost over double the hair she did, more than i ever lost with my hair five weeks in braids with the kankelon

Laginappe

Ok here's another question... well, two questions!

How do we know the diff between "cutting" and "breaking"...although I suppose really it doesn't make much of a difference huh?

And when we're talking about shedding - we're talking about more than our normal amount of shedding right? Like hair is running off our scalp due to this evil synthetic chemical hair!?!?!

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
Ok here's another question... well, two questions!

How do we know the diff between "cutting" and "breaking"...although I suppose really it doesn't make much of a difference huh?

And when we're talking about shedding - we're talking about more than our normal amount of shedding right? Like hair is running off our scalp due to this evil synthetic chemical hair!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ] Like I've worn my hair in braids lots before and know the difference between the normal amount of shedding after wearing braids , and this wasnt the normal type or normal amount of shedding, shedding. yeah, that type of shedding. and yup that "evil" synthetic hair did it

who knows if it broke (my hair doesnt break) it or "cut" it (like others told me that hair could do) all i know is i lost way too much hair for only two weeks in braids.....

just relaying what i was told about that hair, doesnt mean it will happen with you

hairless29

the toyokalon is a better feeling/looking hair and easier to braid with, but it cuts your own hair like glass

That is sooooooooo true..thats what happened..it cut my hair..i mean literally because in the back as i was feeling the hair after i took my braids out i thought to myself why does it feel so much shorter? BUT i just chalked it up to shrinkage...stupid me

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

Thank God I went with my old standby Kanekalon! I was going to try toyokalon, my aunt recently used it and her hair looks great. But I decided to go with what I know, and not risk it... Thanks for the heads up, I was headed out the door to pick some up for my next braidup, but now I think I'll pass.

hairless29

nope your not overanlyzing...i believe irrisistable hit it on THE NOSE...that type of hair does indeed "cut" and that is what happened with my own hair...i'm not prone to allergies - never have been, so the itching i experienced in the beginning most likely was an early reaction to that hair and i just ignored it - just thought my scalp was "extra" dry and simply spraid it with braid spray, BUT what i should have done was taken them bad boys out of my hair...but like irrisistable said "the thought of all the time put into putting the braids in (plus money spent) is what made me keep them in! You touched on something about the particular brand maybe causing damage - that could be a factor too, i don't remember the manufacturer of my brand all i can tell you is the hair was CHEAP
i'm chalking this up as a lesson learned...Also, i had the wet n wavy brand too and i noticed that the braider who did my hair kept getting the hair tangled as she was braiding...UGH!!

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
hairless29 said:
the toyokalon is a better feeling/looking hair and easier to braid with, but it cuts your own hair like glass

That is sooooooooo true..thats what happened..it cut my hair..i mean literally because in the back as i was feeling the hair after i took my braids out i thought to myself why does it feel so much shorter? BUT i just chalked it up to shrinkage...stupid me

[/ QUOTE ] Who would think that would happen? i didnt find out untill i had the mishap and didnt understand why i lost so much hair and posted about it on the hair groups and they told me about it. your hair will be ok in time, just give it lots of TLC ...i know its frustrating though. I cant tell you how thankfull i was that i took them out when i did, i know when i saw how much hair i lost, it would of been much worse if i left them in longer. I know some can wear the toyokalon with no problems , so it seems. but i know my hair couldnt tolerate it. I love the toyokalon as far as how it feels and looks, but wouldn never touch it again.

ElizaBlue

Okay now ya'll scaring me. I have the wavy silky hair with the curl at the end, and I have my hair in individuals but not as small as micro. When I first got them my head was itching like crazy. It stopped after about two weeks. But I have been watching it every two or three days. I paid a mint for these braids and am really afraid of taking them down myself, it's goint to take all weekend. Here's the killer, I have a nasty rash on my neck where the hair lays....I wonder if it's from the hair.

Tai

I heard that as well about Toyokalon. Oddly enough, some people's hair just do not respond well to individual braids, regardless of the quality of hair. I got micro braids two years ago after being told they probably wouldn't work w/ my hair (I was told my hair was "too soft" & the braids around the hairline wouldn't hold for long). I was hardheaded
and got them anyway. I spent a fortune on quality human hair only to have them slide out of my hair, taking parts of my own hair
with the braids. I had to take them out because I did not want my hairline to be destroyed because I didn't want to "waste" the money I spent to have them done. It was an expensive lesson to learn financially and on my poor hair.

Eliza, that rash could be due to the braids. Is it red and itchy or is it drier? The rash could also possibly be due to braid spray, if you're using any. I got a minor rash due to the braid spray I was using.

Falon

I had an allergic reaction to synthetic hair on more than one occassion. I tried different varieties but all of them made my scalp itch very badly. To the point where I would scrath myself raw. I would get bumps on my scalp and accidently scratch them and make them bleed. (gross)

Now when I get braids I pay a mint for human hair which is why I hardly get braids anymore.

The synthetic hair would itch for the first week or two and I would end up washing it repeatedly, which made the itch stop but my braids start to look raggedy and I ended up taking them out sooner than I wanted to. A rash on your neck where the hair is making contact sounds bad.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I never used Toyokalon hair for my braids. It really does cut your hair, and people have sensitivites from using it that breaks them out. I had my braids done in Yaki synthetic hair. My hair didn't get cut from them when I took the braids out. And some people, like my mom, claims that my hair would be broken off if I wear them for a good while. Guess what? Mom was wrong.

Next time when shopping for synthetic hair, look on the bag to make sure you're getting 100% Kanekalon or 100% Yaki. The more the better, and your real hair won't be broken off. </font>

sereia

have you ever tried washing the synthetic hair before braiding? I use shampoo for that and the water gets brownish! No more itching since I started doing this.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Whenever I buy hair for braiding, I wash it in a sink of warm water and ACV. Soak for 10 minutes, and rinse with cool water. I spray a leave-in and my homemade braid spray on the hair after shaking off the excess water, and let it air dry. It may help with the harsh feel synthetic has, and makes it softer like human hair. </font>

ElizaBlue

Hey ladies, sorry, but once again I've been in the air for about a week or more. Yep, it's definitely the hair, it went away when I started making sure it wasn't touching my neck. Then one braid just one was down from the bun and I was outside and started sweating, and yep you guessed it the rash came back on the side of my neck where the braid was touching it. I think I will do a ACV rinse. I've washed my hair with CON about 9 times since getting the braids but I guess it's not taking whatever is in the braids out of them.

KaramelKendra

Y all discouraging me to get my hair braided...My hair is not thin I would say is medium ..but it shed easily..Maybe I shouldnt get cornrows.I love em but I cant keep em on more than a week
my scalpwould start itching and I hate seeing the bald spots between the cornrows...