BRAIDS - LARGE PARTS

Anaya18

Hi Ladies,

I have a question about getting braids. I am interested in giving my "unhealthy" hair a rest for a year (to grow out the relaxer). My hairline is currently extremely thin and is very hard to style without pulling my hair back (it's way to short in the front for any style requiring the usage of the front of my hair). I would like to get braids with large parts ( I figured this would take away from the tension and "pull" associated with the smaller braids) and I would get them re-done every 4-5 weeks. Your input and experiences (if any) would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

Also, I have just started Bargello's vitamin routine and have been putting castor oil and Nioxin's Follicle Booster on my hairline.

Thank You so much for any responses!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR to EVERYONE!!!
Anaya

Ennyaa

Hi Anaya and let me start off by saying that I feel you on this one. A lot of the ladies here including myself have had to deal with this problem. Currently the way I handle this is by doing my own braids but here's my take on it.

Large parts will definitely help. Also you should just leave the delicate parts of your hair out of the braids. I've told braiders to do that and then just used gels and oils, and tied it down to keep them smooth. Also the amount of hair being used in the braids often doesn't need to be as much as they use. I've had cases of big thick braids hanging off like 15 strands of hair and that is NOT healthy, no way no how.

Make sure you are firm on ALL these points with whoever is braiding your hair. My solution has been to start doing my own but I understand a lot of women don't have the patience or the time for that. Also the NX3 is good to use (I'm currently using it for a thin area) and some of the ladies here have mentioned that castor oil is good at filling in a thinning hairline. Good luck to you and here's a (((HUG))) to go with that. Because I know how frustrating this can be. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

candycane

Adrienne is truly the braid expert. She has MUCH success with braids. Hopefully she will see your post and respond with some really helpful information.

Candycane

Anaya18

I thank both of you ladies for responding!! Special thanks to you Enyaa for your words of advice and ((hug)). Both were much appreciated and greatly needed.

Also, Enyaa do you use synthetic or "human" hair, and if synthetic, do you wash the hair first (i.e. vinegar solution) to get rid of the chemicals in the hair (I thought I read a previous post about the necessity of that)??

Thanks so much again!!(I will definitely be using your advice)!!

Anaya /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ennyaa

You are more than welcome Anaya. I have worn braids off and on for at least 10 years, I've used human and synthetic hair and I have never pretreated ANY of them. I think it's all a matter of how sensitive your scalp and skin are to the hair that's being used. Some women have bad reactions and some don't. Since you've had braids before you can probably judge what is best for yourself. Currently I use Kanekelon hair for my "do it yourself" braids but just before that I used Toyokelon hair for the twists I had. For me as long as I keep them moist it really doesn't make a difference. When I used to get micro or invisible braids I'd use human hair because I wanted to style it more and curl it and all that. I can't say it enough moisture moisture moisture. Actually I think I probably treat my hair better when it's in the braids than when it's out. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Robin41

Anaya18, you are correct that getting larger, fewer boxes is healthier for your hair than microbraids. Just remember that you may have to have it re-done more often because this style gets raggedy-looking (especially if you're shampooing frequently) than smaller braids.

I always have a hard time getting a braider to give me large boxes. Even when I ask for them, I always wind up with a LOT more braids than I wanted! Now I do them myself.

Make sure your braider understands exactly what you want and check her progress before she's done.

Good luck!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Does anyone on the site braid their hair without extensions? Any tips received will be appreciated