Braids

greAtness333

Hi everyone! I've been away for the past couple of days, glad to be back. I was visiting my cousin who graduated for college and told her about this site. I was really glad b/c she started to get into it and even brought out her hair products for an "evaluation." She thought it was so funny that I had a "hair cult" online. She has almost bra strap hair so hopefully we'll see her on here. In the meantime, I think she might start sporting buns.

Anyway, I think I want to get micros or small box braids for two months over the summer. I know micros can break your edges and that's my biggest concern b/c for the first time in many years, thanks to this board, my edges are strong and actually growing out. They're longer than an inch. With that said, I don't know if I should really get micros and risk damaging my edges, with stress from the braids, or not, since they're stronger. If I do decide to get them, what would be a good oil/moisturizer that would be good for breakage around the edges? Also would it be better to wear the braids down or up for less stress? By the way, I ONLY want micros or half pencil size braids. TIA

greAtness333

Bumping...does anyone have any suggestions? This is only my third time in like 10 years getting extentions and all suggestions are welcome. I know many of you have worn braids before, so where are you?

Bobbie

I think you should braid your real hair around the edges or makes the braids on your edges larger --- this is what I do to preserve my edges. Also, it's best to rebraid braids (spot braiding) if they grow out too much. This way it won't too much strain on your hair. I think it's best to wear the braids down. Like real hair, there's more tension to your hairline putting hair up as opposed to down. Since your hair will have tension from the braids, putting it up will cause more tension. If you wear it down, be careful about braids catching on to things --- I've had that happen more than once.

I think it's better to get larger braids than micros -- but if you prefer micros, be careful about the taking down process. It's best to use a detangler on the braid base before taking out the braid extension. This helps to loosen build up and your hair will have fewer tangles this way. "Take down", "Better Braids Unbraid", of "African Pride Braid/Weave Out" seem to work well for the taking down process.

Hope this helps!

Kitkat

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's best to rebraid braids (spot braiding) if they grow out too much. This way it won't too much strain on your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wouldn't the process of braiding and rebraiding by itself put strain on the hair, especially the edges? If the hair has grown out to the point that one wants to spot braid, wouldn't it be better to just redo the entire head? Just asking.

carletta

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
I think you should braid your real hair around the edges or makes the braids on your edges larger --- this is what I do to preserve my edges. Also, it's best to rebraid braids (spot braiding) if they grow out too much. This way it won't too much strain on your hair. I think it's best to wear the braids down. Like real hair, there's more tension to your hairline putting hair up as opposed to down. Since your hair will have tension from the braids, putting it up will cause more tension. If you wear it down, be careful about braids catching on to things --- I've had that happen more than once.

I think it's better to get larger braids than micros -- but if you prefer micros, be careful about the taking down process. It's best to use a detangler on the braid base before taking out the braid extension. This helps to loosen build up and your hair will have fewer tangles this way. "Take down", "Better Braids Unbraid", of "African Pride Braid/Weave Out" seem to work well for the taking down process.

Hope this helps!

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Bobbie, I would make my braids around the edges larger. I have slightly smaller than a No.2 pencil all over my head. my edges does better with that size of a braid. But caution " as your edges grow, redo them. I wouldn't let them get more lenght than 1/2 in. I've have lost hair around my temple by letting them grow a inch and more without redoing them !!!
( to my regret! )
it's growing back now nicely w/ use of surge.
you might want to check this out also www.growafrohairlong.com

greAtness333

Good point. I would think at that point I would just take them out anyway. Anyhoo, it's good to keep spot braiding in mind.

Nonie

Yeah, it's important to spot braid especially the edges coz as your hair grows and the braids get loose at the base, they seem to hurt when they swings; at least for me they do. Spot braiding has helped me not lose hair along my hairline even when wearing braids 24-7. However, just to be on the safe side (after hearing all the horror stories), I have been cornrowing my own hair (no extensions) along the hairline going back for about an inch, and blending the ends in with the extensions singles immediately behind. That way I don't have to worry about the painful strain of dangling extensions along my hairline as my hair grows.

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
Kitkat said:
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's best to rebraid braids (spot braiding) if they grow out too much. This way it won't too much strain on your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wouldn't the process of braiding and rebraiding by itself put strain on the hair, especially the edges? If the hair has grown out to the point that one wants to spot braid, wouldn't it be better to just redo the entire head? Just asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still putting strain on your head if you choose to rebraid your entire head than just spot braiding. Braids shouldn't be in for more than 2 months. The hair should be given a break between braiding (at least 2 weeks).

But with spot braiding, it's best to rebraid the parts of your hair that grows fastest during the 2 months period (not all parts of the hair grows at the same rate). Especially if you want to keep the style for more than a month, the hanging will cause too much tension on your hair strands.

Alot of people have an entire head of hanging braids by that time but for others who have parts of their hair growing faster than others, spot braiding can help keep the style before you take them out. I've had more breakage from leaving a braid until take down time than redoing the braid.

At the end of 2 months, the braids must be taken out anyway to avoid locking or excessive hair damage. But spot braiding helps relieve tension in some braids that grow pretty fast. I personally leave the real hair out for at least a day before I place another braid in. (You can conceal it pretty well).

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
Yeah, it's important to spot braid especially the edges coz as your hair grows and the braids get loose at the base, they seem to hurt when they swings; at least for me they do. Spot braiding has helped me not lose hair along my hairline even when wearing braids 24-7. However, just to be on the safe side (after hearing all the horror stories), I have been cornrowing my own hair (no extensions) along the hairline going back for about an inch, and blending the ends in with the extensions singles immediately behind. That way I don't have to worry about the painful strain of dangling extensions along my hairline as my hair grows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I can't stress this enough, especially around the edges spot braiding is most important. Edges will break off if they're left hanging too much and it can hurt.

Bobbie

Here are some tips from AJamericanDiva,

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
After wearing my last set of braids from December to February, I was able to undo them quite successfully with very little shedding. I thought I'd share some tips that might work for others that are having problems when it comes time to take down the braids. I guess I should put disclaimer here: These are my personal tips and may not work for you. Modify it how you see fit if something in particular doesn't work for you.

First, let's start with the braids themselves. I got them pencil sized as Robin from growafrohairlong.com suggested. At the time of the application of braids, I was a little over 3 months post relaxer (got relaxer in September). Kanekelon hair was the type of synthetic hair used. Prior to application, my hair was freshly washed, deep conditioned and lightly coated with leave-in conditioner and a tiny amount of S- Curl, just so I could get the comb through it. The girl took 4 hours to braid it, which for me was a short amount of time for the length as it was waitlength braids. They didn't feel tight or like they were pulling and I slept comfortably on my head the first night. This is key... No tight braids!!! Oh yeah, especially around the fragile hairline.

My regimen thereafter went something like this:
Once a week (standing in the shower)

1. Wash hair with either diluted shampoos: Keracare Hydrating/Detangling shampoo, Pantene Relaxed and Naturals or John Frieda Relax Total Clarity Moisturizing Shampoo. Although the first two shampoos are my absolute favorites, I'd use the Frieda shampoo every other shampoo to make sure I got rid of build up on my scalp. (You know that stuff you see under your nails when you scratch your scalp?
It did an excellent job of this.) My focus was using my fingertips to massage the scalp and loosen up any debris and then simply sliding my hands down the shafts of the braids so they'd get a lil' of the foamy water.

2. Condition hair with one of the following conditioner diluted: Keracare Humecto or Pantene Relaxed and Naturals conditioners. This was done, moreso concentrating on the shaft of the braids. Hair was lightly rinsed with cool water.

Key Point: Why diluted shampoos and conditioners? This helps to reduce any buildup at the base of the braids... you know those horrible looking clumps you sometimes see when you loose out your braids....

3. Once I got out of the shower, I wrapped my braids in an Aquis towel... it's highly absorbent. (I bought mine off of eBay.) The constant dripping of water would drive me crazy and this towel absorbs a lot of the excess water in a small amount of time. You can just use a regular towel, no biggie. When "drippage" is under control, I sprayed my scalp with a light leave-in conditioner such as Motions Leave-In or a 50/50 mixture of Infusium 23's Leave-In for damaged hair and their moisturizing leave-in.

4. I sprayed Surge Revitalizer 14 on the scalp and sprayed along the shaft of the braids with S-curl, followed by a light coating of World of Curls gel for extra dry hair (this step is optional, but I did it because New York weather is MAD COLD!!!!) and then sealed it in with either a spraying of Isoplus Oil sheen (in the blue can) but better still which I really loved, was putting a light oil such as Surge's Motion 9 Oil or Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen oil into a spray bottle and lightly misting the scalp and shaft of the braids. This seals in the moisture. For those who like using Jojoba oil and other light oils with added essential oils (i.e. rosemary, ylang-ylang, lavender, etc), this is good as well. Me being pregnant and all, there are some essential oils that I can't fool around with.
I do love ylang-ylang.

Daily... Once-Twice per day
1. Surge Revitalizer 14 on scalp.
2. S-curl on shaft, followed by World of Curls gel.
3. Spray with a light oil to seal in moisture.

When taking out the braids, I find it vital to use some sort of spray made for this purpose. In this case, I used Better Braids Unbraid Spray. It helps to detangle the hair and dissolve any of that clumping you might have. (This might be helpful for people wearing weaves who have matting at the root problems as well. Me, I personally haven't had a weave in years!) I sprayed the roots and then took out the braids. I would then comb it lightly with a small tooth comb to remove whatever debris might me there. I was quite pleased that I saw none of that clumping at the root of my braid, the hair wasn't tangled and there was very little shedding. I had prepared myself to shed two months worth of unshedded hair, but had very little. Once the entire head was loosed, I lightly combed with a big toothed comb and hit the shower. I washed, used a reconstructor, followed by a moisturizing conditioner. I lost so few hairs that I even took a pic. I'll try and post it later in my album. As it stands, I will be getting braids again, God willing, this weekend. Remember, my hair hasn't been relaxed since September and I am a 4a. This new growth ain't playing
My hairdresser went away and won't be back until mid-April and I don't trust anyone else with my hair, so braids seem to be the best way for me to not manipulate the hair in such a vulnerable state. On the other hand, when I finally do relax, I can't wait to see how much growth I got.

Alright, ending haircare novel here. Hope this helps others.

[/ QUOTE ]

greAtness333

Thank you guys (ladies) so much! I feel much better about getting braids now. I only plan to keep them in for 2 months and then wait to get a touch-up.