Brazilian Keratin Treatment / BKT

Crissi

Ok i don't know if this has been posted before so forgive me if it has, but i ran across it whilst looking for brazillian hair products. I thought it would be usefulas it provides contact detailsof the salons that provide the treatment

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Brazilian_keratin_hair_straightening

Brazilian Keratin Treatment (also known as "BKT") is a new way to make your hair straight and frizz free.
Unlike the Japanese straightening, the Brazilian Keratin treatment is not permanent and is better used on damaged, porous hair.
You can highlight the same day you do the BKT.
The BKT will wash out in 2 to 3 months, depending on how porous your hair was before the treatment. The more damaged the hair, the more dramatic the results, and the longer it will last.
Basically this product has Keratin in it and the Keratin will crystallize and coat the hair shaft, sealing in shine and keeping out moisture/frizz. It makes damaged hair look healthy again.
After the process, you cannot was for 4 days. Also, you should not use any product (particularly shampoo) with sodium Chloride, as that will eat through the coating.
You should wear a mask and close your eyes during the blowdry with the paddle brush after the product has been applied. The formula contains about 2% formaldehyde (to hold the keratin in the hair) and therefore while it is being processed with heat it will smell strong and also sometimes the first day or two after the treatment.
I have an incomplete salon listing of salons that currently doing the BKT but it is not complete and feel free to add to it!
This is an incomplete listing of US Salons currently providing the Brazilian Keratin Straightening service.
Also, you can see the following websites for people who train and sell to professional hairdressers the product:
http://www.braziliankeratin.com
http://www.brazilianhairstraightening.com/
Beware of buying this product on Ebay as some of the products on Ebay contain the formaldehyde up to 25% which is very dangerous and not legal in the USA. The websites I list have about 2% and you can contact them for their test data.
This list doesn't imply any warranties as to the product or experience of these salons. Please call them and interview them yourself. If I am missing any, please let me know.

CALIFORNIA

Tonya Newman
320 Hair Studio
5593 Manchester Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90045
561 503-5575 cell
Call for schedule to CA Suzanne Palmiere

L'Image Salon
1400 South PCH
Redondo Beach CA
310-316-5555
COLORADO

Denise Kingsley
I Capelli Salon
5123 S. Yosemite St
Greenwood Village Colorado 80111
303-913-4247
[email protected]
[email protected]
Jan Norris
High Tech Healthy Hair Expert
I Capelli Salon
Greenwood Village, CO
303-941-2547

FLORIDA

Contour Day Spa
Plantation, FL
Donnalou , Marc
954-812-5623
Eaz Salon
2053 University Drive
Coral Springs, FL 33071
954-755-1310

Aimee Jo

Evolution Hair & Spa - COLLETTE
1218 Winter Garden-Vineland Rd. - cr/535
Winter Garden, FL 34787
407-473-1968

Joharo Salon of Distinction
2151 S Highway A1a Alt # 750
Jupiter, FL 33477
(561) 744-2331

Mario & Co
Boca Raton Florida
Lori
561-477-4801

Tonya Newman
Salon 301
301 West Atlantic Avenue
Delray Beach, FL 33444
561 503-5575 cell
561 278-5068 salon

Sharmaines Salon and Day SPa
483 Mandalay ave. # 206
Clearwater Beach, Fl. 33767
727-447-2025
www.sharmaines.com
Stylist: Lori Fudens, Michele Perez, Christina Duval, Jamie Lambert , and Jackie Hyrscehnko Frederick Savage

Spalano Salon
Boca Raton, FL 33433
561-926-1777
Vincent J Salon
3301 ne 33 street
Fort Lauderdale Fla.33305
954 566 6601

GEORGIA
Dobel Salon & Spa
3365 Piedmont Rd NE Ste 1250
Atlanta Georgia
Stylist Ary (3 days a week)
(404) 264-1007

ILLINOIS
Hedda Hair and Body Bliss
3021 Theodore Street
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: 815.254.1600
www.heddahairbodybliss.com
Tiffani Vance

MICHIGAN
Bang Salon (ask for Jill)
6080 West Maple
West Bloomfield, MI. 48322
Phone: (248)-851-6660

NEW JERSEY

Madison Salon & Spa
The Woodbury Common Center
8285 Jericho Tpke,
Woodbury,NY
516 692-7200
Salon Tehairas
Somers Point NJ
609-927-8850
Tell Mary Ann you saw it here.
Marcia Texeria BKT certified

NEW YORK

Technicolors Salon
27S Park Avenue
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
www.technicolors.com
516-535-2440

Beauty Lounge NYC
Leslie Correa
1433 Rt 300
Newburgh NY 12550
845-566-8490

Brazilian Hair Straightening
130 East 3rd Street
Suite 3B
New York, NY 10009
917-628-5489

Capelli D'Oro Salon/Spa
847 Lexington Ave
New York NY 10021
212-288-7100
The Beauty Lounge in LIC Queens
5-04 50th Ave
718-706-7848

OREGON

UnSprung Salon - Alysia and Sky
833 S.E. Main Street, Suite #409
Portland, OR 97214
www.unsprung.net

PENNSYLVANIA Studio Mirage
434 Lancaster Avenue
Reading PA 19611
Phone 610-396-9000

Crissi, x

mommatide

my stylist offers this treatment, but i have never tried it. i'm curious about it. are there any 4a/b out there that has tried it?

SweetSpirit86

Ok i don't know if this has been posted before so forgive me if it has, but i ran across it whilst looking for brazillian hair products. I thought it would be usefulas it provides contact detailsof the salons that provide the treatment

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Brazilian_keratin_hair_straightening

Brazilian Keratin Treatment (also known as "BKT") is a new way to make your hair straight and frizz free.
Unlike the Japanese straightening, the Brazilian Keratin treatment is not permanent and is better used on damaged, porous hair.
You can highlight the same day you do the BKT.
The BKT will wash out in 2 to 3 months, depending on how porous your hair was before the treatment. The more damaged the hair, the more dramatic the results, and the longer it will last.
Basically this product has Keratin in it and the Keratin will crystallize and coat the hair shaft, sealing in shine and keeping out moisture/frizz. It makes damaged hair look healthy again.
After the process, you cannot was for 4 days. Also, you should not use any product (particularly shampoo) with sodium Chloride, as that will eat through the coating.
You should wear a mask and close your eyes during the blowdry with the paddle brush after the product has been applied. The formula contains about 2% formaldehyde (to hold the keratin in the hair) and therefore while it is being processed with heat it will smell strong and also sometimes the first day or two after the treatment.
I have an incomplete salon listing of salons that currently doing the BKT but it is not complete and feel free to add to it!
This is an incomplete listing of US Salons currently providing the Brazilian Keratin Straightening service.
Also, you can see the following websites for people who train and sell to professional hairdressers the product:
http://www.braziliankeratin.com
http://www.brazilianhairstraightening.com/
Beware of buying this product on Ebay as some of the products on Ebay contain the formaldehyde up to 25% which is very dangerous and not legal in the USA. The websites I list have about 2% and you can contact them for their test data.
This list doesn't imply any warranties as to the product or experience of these salons. Please call them and interview them yourself. If I am missing any, please let me know.

I tend to research things wayyy in advance, and I'm quite curious about this. For one, at the bolded. Does that mean if my hair has low porosity it may not take? I'd hate to waste money. :(

Seriously, I'm cheap.

Another thing, anyone natural having luck with the "natural" versions of BKT? I'm a little scanty about the formaldehyde. I may be overreacting, but I can't say I'm overjoyed at putting one of the ingredients used to clean my toilet in my hair, but I AM thrilled at the results I've seen on some of the really tightly coiled hair. Starting to wonder if Henna would be a safer option for me as I heard it also loosens the curl...and I don't have to deal with the heat. :/

msa

Sweetspirit, check out the keratin treatment support thread. You'll find all the answers to your questions in there. But from what I understand, bkt "takes" better on relaxed hair because it's already been broken down. But, there are many naturals who have had success with it.

sydwrites

I agree with msa check the keratin treatment support thread there is tons of info there for natural and relaxed heads. sweetspirit if you really want a natural method than henna is the way to go but it doesnt loosen everyone's hair that much. there is no natural bkt, with or without formeldehyde. its not permanent like a relaxer but think of it kinda like the differenece between lye or no lye, there are cons to both, they both have harsh ingredients, but they both can be done with excellent results.

SweetSpirit86

Yeah, checking it out now. I don't want anything permanent, and I went natural to escape the chemicals, lol. I'm still interested though...a bit of a knowledge junkie, if you will. Thank you :)