Brazilian Keratin Treatment Where have you been all my life? Pic Heavy

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I am not sure how many have heard of the Brazilian Keratin Treatment but I do this service in my salon and I wanted to show you all some pictures of the outcome on me and my DD's hair.

Pros:
Hair is soft, silky and smooth and virtually break free. If your hair is natural it will loosen your curl pattern and possibly straighten your hair over a few processes. The comb glides through the hair on shampoo day!! Hair doesn't require as much moisture and shampoo day is literally cut in half or more. It lasts 2-4 months.

I believe that by doing this treatment on a regular basis it can help you retain more length, need less trims and spend less on hair care products.

Cons: It is very expensive. While getting the treatment done you may experience a little odor. It's Temporary. Must be redone over the entire head of hair every 2-4 months. The more you shampoo the quicker it will wear off. You can't get your hair wet for 4 days. You have to wear it straight for that same period of time.

Where has the treatment been all of my life??!! It's awesome my hair has never felt or looked better or had so much body and bounce. My hair is not breaking at all or shedding and my hair now dries so straight so there is not much work involved on shampoo day.

Pictures of the process are below. Please feel free to ask questions.

Texture shot. She is 50% natural.
I had already applied some treatment to this section. The rest of the hair is blowdried.

After Treatment is completed.

Her hair on the first wash day after BKT.
The curls are loser and easier to manage.

Another shot.

Another 'after' texture shot.

My hair before treatment wet.

My hair before BKT blowdried.

My hair blowdried with the treatment on my hair.

My hair after treatment.

First Shampoo after treatment. Hair is blowdried and flatironed.
My hair is healthy, full and has lots of body and bounce. I love it!!

The Process:
1. Hair is shampooed 2-3 times with clarifying shampoo. This helps open up the cuticles of the hair so the treatment can penetrate deeply into the hair shaft.
2. Hair is blowdried on a medium setting.
3. Hair is sectioned and the BK treatment is applied to sections of hair.
4. Hair is blowdried again on medium heat.
5. Small sections of hair are then flatironed with a 450 degree flatiron. Each section must be flatironed at least 10 times. (Don't worry, the BKT has a heat protectant in it!) This helps 'bake the treatment deep into the hair shaft.

msa

Both you and your dd's hair looks nice.

The Process:
1. Hair is shampooed 2-3 times with clarifying shampoo. This helps open up the cuticles of the hair so the treatment can penetrate deeply into the hair shaft.
5. Small sections of hair are then flatironed with a 450 degree flatiron. Each section must be flatironed at least 10 times. (Don't worry, the BKT has a heat protectant in it!) This helps 'bake the treatment deep into the hair shaft.

This sounds like the scariest thing ever though, especially the bolded.

Lucky's Mom

The Process:

Lovely hair!!!! But BOY - that is a lot of heat......

Ediese

I've been thinking about having this done. You say it's only temporary, right? So, my natural tresses would revert after 2-3 months if I chose not to do this again?

ETA: I would really like something to help make my hair more manageable, but I love my waves when I put my hair back in one. I don't want to lose that. It looks like the pics of her wet hair after the BKT loosened up the curls so much that it looks relaxed.

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I've been thinking about having this done. You say it's only temporary, right? So, my natural tresses would revert after 2-3 months if I chose not to do this again?
Yes. It just wears off after time. Your curls will come back once the treatment wears off.

Desarae

Looks GREAT! Sounds scary though. I'd do it for those results.

Is your DD transitioning? Her hair looks so pretty and your's too!

msa

If the chemicals are baked deep into the hair shaft, how does it wear off in a few months? Is it like henna where it binds to the proteins inside the cuticles, but because of washing it's slowly washed away?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
If the chemicals are baked deep into the hair shaft, how does it wear off in a few months? Is it like henna where it binds to the proteins inside the cuticles, but because of washing it's slowly washed away?
Yeah. It's like that. The more you shampoo the faster it will fade.

MoMo

Those results were beautiful! Is this easy enough to do at home or do you recommend a professional such as yourself?

Your hair looks beautiful!

I am too much of a punk to even try this treatment. I met a woman who is a stylist when I was wearing my hair out one day and she was saying she would do my hair for free if I came into her and she would use me as a hair model. I guess since I have so much hair, it would be one of those scary "before" and "after" things...

But then I went on youtube and saw the actual process. All kinds of fans need to be on at all times for ventilation and the stylist doing it was wearing these super, duper, heavy duty gloves (not the doctor-like vinyl ones). I figured this stuff must be doing SOMETHING on the permanent side if all that had to go down.

What was your experience like? Was all that stuff happening for you? I kinda feel like if I got the details from someone who has done it personally (vs. all the second hand stuff), I could potentially feel better about it.

Lucky's Mom

I am too much of a punk to even try this treatment. I met a woman who is a stylist when I was wearing my hair out one day and she was saying she would do my hair for free if I came into her and she would use me as a hair model. I guess since I have so much hair, it would be one of those scary "before" and "after" things...

But then I went on youtube and saw the actual process. All kinds of fans need to be on at all times for ventilation and the stylist doing it was wearing these super, duper, heavy duty gloves (not the doctor-like vinyl ones). I figured this stuff must be doing SOMETHING on the permanent side if all that had to go down.

What was your experience like? Was all that stuff happening for you? I kinda feel like if I got the details from someone who has done it personally (vs. all the second hand stuff), I could potentially feel better about it.

That is due to the Formaldehyde release. It has a strong odor during the heating processes.

I think that it is lovely - I just think I would be Bald after ten swipes of the Flat Iron at 450....:lachen:

winnettag

Thanks for sharing DSD! I was considering relaxing but this sounds like a much better alternative. The heat does sound scary but it doesn't appear to be damaging so I'll be giving it a try.

Do you think the one they sell at ULTA will give the same results?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

You most definitely have to have fans. I would say heavy duty gloves are not necessary just the regular ones. It's still not permanent.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Waaaay to scary for me but your hair (and your daughters) looks really good. Please keep us updated in a few months as to the condition of your hair and if you would/wouldn't do it again.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Thanks for sharing DSD! I was considering relaxing but this sounds like a much better alternative. The heat does sound scary but it doesn't appear to be damaging so I'll be giving it a try.

Do you think the one they sell at ULTA will give the same results?
Yeah. I think the pros of the treatment out weigh the cons of the heat. You only do the ten swipes for the treatment process only. I think it is a good alternative to relaxer because once you stop the treatments your hair will gradually revert back.

I have heard mixed reviews about the one at Ulta. Mainly that it doesn't last as long.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
How well does it work protein-wise? Does your hair feel stronger? Healthier?
My hair feels amazing. Yes it does feel stronger. Extremely soft, silky and healthy. I haven't had to use moisturizer on me or my DD's hair.

I must say that the treatment adds something extra to the hair. It gives you that extra swing!!

Whimsy

I'm glad it works for you but no way would i put my hair through alla that.
The results are FABULOUS though.

Will your 50% natural daughter's hair revert back to it's natural coils or is it permanently altered?