Brazilian Keratin Treatment Where have you been all my life? Pic Heavy

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
:blush:Really? Well - I read some where that this 'takes' better on Chemically processed hair....

So there ya go...he probably knew it would not turn out like he wanted it to..
The bolded is sort of true and it is mainly because virgin hair is usually not damaged and the cuticles lie flat. That's the reason why virgin hair has to be shampoo 3 times to try to open up the cuticle to be more receptive of the treatment. But as you can see that my daughter's natural parts came out beautifully. She's 4a-ish.

crazydaze911

Innnnnnnnnteresting. Damn, but thas a lotta heat, though!

The first time i had it the lady used alot of heat. Second time i went somewhere else and it was much better. The second time i got the formeldahyde free version that smells like chocolate or caramel or smthg. It was washed, the treatment was put in while my hair was WET. it was left in 20 mins. then it was lightly blowdried (only blowdried once). then flatironed - i dont think she went over it 10x at all. And i love the results. I agree with all of OPs pros and cons except i dont think my hair is full at all - i am 75% natural and dont understand how it took so well. It looks BETTER than if i got a relaxer. I seriously have white girl hair. i cant even keep my satin scrunchie in b/c it keeps slipping out. I LOVE THE BKT. i strayed to try another keratin treatment that was 'lighter' but really the BKT is the best. So little shedding, its unbelievable.
My only complaint -the more u wash, the faster it will wear off and i like co-washing :(. I also only use the MT when i wash, so now im slacking on that use as well.....
BTW - siggy pic is me with the BKT. without it, my hair is usually very puffy and cottony - and I'm over two years natural with relaxed ends

Last edited:

crazydaze911

btw - i paid $250 and im about BSL length, mostly natural 3c, 4a. Its supposedly $200 flat on tuesdays but i work weekdays. also - i was a WALK IN - lol - and they even had someone run to my car to put change in my meter for me - it took about 3 hours.

sheba1

I went for a BKT and the guy, a Brazilian, sighed and whined about how he couldn't do it and my natural hair needed a perm first...

I said forget it.

If I get a BKT I'll do it my darn self.

Yep! I had this same thought when I asked a dominican salon if they did it (over the phone). She asked me what my hair texture was because the BKT is made to straighten "spanish wavy hair". :rolleyes: At that point I knew I would do it myself, if I decided to. Either that or take a trip to see DSD! :)

Back in your pocket is right! I think it's like $300 to buy a bottle that has 20 applications in it if you're going to do it yourself. So that dude and his whining saved you like seven grand if you end up liking it.

crazydaze911

Your hair looks beautiful!

I am too much of a punk to even try this treatment. I met a woman who is a stylist when I was wearing my hair out one day and she was saying she would do my hair for free if I came into her and she would use me as a hair model. I guess since I have so much hair, it would be one of those scary "before" and "after" things...

But then I went on youtube and saw the actual process. All kinds of fans need to be on at all times for ventilation and the stylist doing it was wearing these super, duper, heavy duty gloves (not the doctor-like vinyl ones). I figured this stuff must be doing SOMETHING on the permanent side if all that had to go down.

What was your experience like? Was all that stuff happening for you? I kinda feel like if I got the details from someone who has done it personally (vs. all the second hand stuff), I could potentially feel better about it.

i PMed u ...........

crazydaze911

so you still consider yourself natural if you've had bkt?

interesting.

As DSD has said, BKT is not permanent. its like if u put a rinse in ur hair that lasts 2 shampoos, only it last 2 months instead. its not changing ur hair, just coating it - therefore you ARE still natural - in two months it will be like it never happened - no transitioning involved...

msa

As DSD has said, BKT is not permanent. its like if u put a rinse in ur hair that lasts 2 shampoos, only it last 2 months instead. its not changing ur hair, just coating it - therefore you ARE still natural - in two months it will be like it never happened - no transitioning involved...

hmmmm

interesting. guess it depends on your definition of natural.

thanks for explaining though.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Great answer. I agree with this statement.

The hair is not being 'chemically' restructured in anyway. It would be like saying that someone that is natural and straightens their hair on a regular basis is 'not natural'. IMO, I don't think that because a person straightens their hair they are not natural. It's just a styling choice.

addaboutmyhair

btw - i paid $250 and im about BSL length, mostly natural 3c, 4a. Its supposedly $200 flat on tuesdays but i work weekdays. also - i was a WALK IN - lol - and they even had someone run to my car to put change in my meter for me - it took about 3 hours.

Wow so you got it! I think you were following the discussion with me when you were deciding. I am literally counting the hours until I can wash tonight and see the results. I hope I'm as happy as everyone else here.

luckiestdestiny

where is this place?

I just realized it was you. Your hair really grew alot.

I am not sure how many have heard of the Brazilian Keratin Treatment but I do this service in my salon and I wanted to show you all some pictures of the outcome on me and my DD's hair.

Pros:
Hair is soft, silky and smooth and virtually break free. If your hair is natural it will loosen your curl pattern and possibly straighten your hair over a few processes. The comb glides through the hair on shampoo day!! Hair doesn't require as much moisture and shampoo day is literally cut in half or more. It lasts 2-4 months.

I believe that by doing this treatment on a regular basis it can help you retain more length, need less trims and spend less on hair care products.

Cons: It is very expensive. While getting the treatment done you may experience a little odor. It's Temporary. Must be redone over the entire head of hair every 2-4 months. The more you shampoo the quicker it will wear off. You can't get your hair wet for 4 days. You have to wear it straight for that same period of time.

Where has the treatment been all of my life??!! It's awesome my hair has never felt or looked better or had so much body and bounce. My hair is not breaking at all or shedding and my hair now dries so straight so there is not much work involved on shampoo day.

Pictures of the process are below. Please feel free to ask questions.

Texture shot. She is 50% natural.
I had already applied some treatment to this section. The rest of the hair is blowdried.

After Treatment is completed.

Her hair on the first wash day after BKT.
The curls are loser and easier to manage.

Another shot.

Another 'after' texture shot.

My hair before treatment wet.

My hair before BKT blowdried.

My hair blowdried with the treatment on my hair.

My hair after treatment.

First Shampoo after treatment. Hair is blowdried and flatironed.
My hair is healthy, full and has lots of body and bounce. I love it!!

The Process:
1. Hair is shampooed 2-3 times with clarifying shampoo. This helps open up the cuticles of the hair so the treatment can penetrate deeply into the hair shaft.
2. Hair is blowdried on a medium setting.
3. Hair is sectioned and the BK treatment is applied to sections of hair.
4. Hair is blowdried again on medium heat.
5. Small sections of hair are then flatironed with a 450 degree flatiron. Each section must be flatironed at least 10 times. (Don't worry, the BKT has a heat protectant in it!) This helps 'bake the treatment deep into the hair shaft.

luckiestdestiny

I thought about you while I was reading this thread. I know you've been thinking about texlaxing.
:grin: YUP
I've been dragging my heals so much. I decided not to (texlax), but I was looking for alternatives to keep my hair natural and cut down styling time:yep:.

sheba1

Ok one quick question:

how do you protect the hair at night if you cant' have it bend or anything for at least 4 days?

Kellylin wrapped her hair. You can check out her bkt results here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=306905

I imagine you could leave the hair wrapped with a stocking cap on top to keep it smooth. And then wear a wig on top. Not entirely straight but certainly no bends to mess with the process. Maybe you could even change direction each day? Just thinking of ideas... :shrug:

bbdgirl

these are really awesome results. Thanks for the info. Man I so want to try this! but I am just too lazy. I like the fact thatyour breakage has subsided.

MissMeWithThatIsh

Well I'm texlaxed but it didn't really take, save for overstraightening the front... any chemical overstraightens the front of my hair, but it can lay nice with a flat iron... Problem is, it's too much work to do on a regular basis.

I can purchase that system and try it on myself to see if I can deal with it.

Platinum

Great results, DSD. I may have to check this out. I'm wondering if this would be good for my Mom also.

BTW, You have had some good growth. :congrats: :gorgeous:

sheba1

Hey DSD, I'm seriously considering BKT. I'm a 4a natural with very healthy non porous hair. Do you think it would help me to get smooth roller set/silk wraps with flat ironed roots? That's the only reason I'm considering texlaxing. I don't have any desire to regularly use my flat iron.

What do you think? Have you considered roller setting since your BKT experience? I could live vicariously through you... :D

luckiestdestiny

Hey DSD, I'm seriously considering BKT. I'm a 4a natural with very healthy non porous hair. Do you think it would help me to get smooth roller set/silk wraps with flat ironed roots? That's the only reason I'm considering texlaxing. I don't have any desire to regularly use my flat iron.

What do you think? Have you considered roller setting since your BKT experience? I could live vicariously through you... :D

I would think naturals will work. I saw foxylisa1025 who has gorgeous hair btw uses BKT, I even pmed her about it. Her hair is natural

crazydaze911 is around 80 percent natural with just relaxed ends and she has been working the BKT. Look up their posts. Crazydaze911 even posts what her hair looks like when it's wet after the bkt http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=206493&highlight=bkt&page=8
I know I can roller set my 4a hair and make it almost straight w/ exception of roots, and I know that if it looked this much looser, It would be great for a roller set. Just scroll to the middle of the page. Also her pic of curly is with the bkt, as her hair is tighter I think 3c or 4a from my memory.

There is also foxylisa who is also in this thread Hope she doesn't mind my copying her pic and putting it here. It is available in her album for lhcf members and it is so beautiful I just wanted to show it. Her hair is growing and thriving. I pm'd her and she was very insightful about the bkt. I think she's 3c. As you see the bkt is very versatile. She is completely natural.
On second thought, I don't want to copy w/o her permission so here is a link to her album. Just go to the left and click it
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=16097

Last edited:

msa

Can anyone point me in the direction of a scientific explanation for how the keratin in BKT straightens the hair? And why it's better on non-virgin (chemically treated) hair?

peppers01

Whoa, I just finished researching those prices, and yes ma'am it's expensive. I saw a trial size (one application) for $39.00 (WHOA). I think I'll have to pass for right now, but y'alls hair looks good.

PGirl

Looks beautiful! I tried it but the intense flat ironing scared me off. I want to do it again because it was awesome but I'm so scared to lose my progress. My hispanic friend gets it done and I am so jealous of her straight silky hair.

sheba1

Can anyone point me in the direction of a scientific explanation for how the keratin in BKT straightens the hair? And why it's better on non-virgin (chemically treated) hair?

I don't have any scientific explanation for how it straightens, but they keep saying that the more porous hair is, the better the treatment "bonds". Natural hair cuticle layers are more likely to lay flat and therefor are less porous.

That's all I got... I'm still doin it! lol

luckiestdestiny

I don't have any scientific explanation for how it straightens, but they keep saying that the more porous hair is, the better the treatment "bonds". Natural hair cuticle layers are more likely to lay flat and therefor are less porous.

That's all I got... I'm still doin it! lol

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/straightening/brazilian-keratin-treatment

Living in the heat and humidity of South Florida, Heather Frankel’s fine curls often turned to frizz. One day, she saw a curly Brazilian friend, and her hair was noticeably longer and straighter.
“She told me about the treatment,” Frankel says.
That would be the Brazilian Keratin Treatment — a curl relaxer that has taken the United States by storm in recent months. Known as Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Brazilian Hair Straightening, Brazilian Blowout or just BKT, it first came to the United States a few years ago. But over the past year, a growing number of hairdressers have embraced it.
Thermal reconditioning — also known as Japanese straightening — seems like yesterday’s news compared to this hot import from Brazil.
Frankel, who was considering doing thermal reconditioning, is thrilled with the results. She says hair has body and shine, and only takes five minutes to style. And frizz is a thing of the past.
“It opens the door to hairstyles I’ve always wanted but didn’t think I could have,” she says. “Now you can see the layers, you can see the highlights, you can see the flips. I am so happy - you have no idea.”
Stylist Tiffany Vance, owner of Hedda Hair and Body Bliss in Joliet, Ill., began doing the chemical service in June.
“I’ve had extremely good results,” Vance says. “It’s good for all curl types, especially those who color their hair.”
A big selling point of BKT is that it doesn’t have the strong chemicals - sodium hydroxide and ammonium thioglycolate - that are in most relaxers and straighteners. These harsh chemicals can cause damage and breakage.
Instead, the active ingredient is keratin, a protein similar to a component in human hair, which naturally straightens the hair. Unlike many chemical processes, Brazilian Keratin Treatment works best on hair that’s been color processed, highlighted or chemically treated.
Unlike other types of relaxers, the treatment can be used over any kind of straightening.
“The keratin fits right on the hair’s cortex,” says Nadine Ramos of Brazilian Hair Straightening Inc. in New York’s East Village. “It works as a treatment and a straightener at the same time. It actually strengthens the hair’s cuticle.”
Ramos first heard about the treatment when she got her hair straightened four years ago by a Brazilian importer. She liked it so much, she decided to get licensed so she could provide the service to other women. She has been importing it for three years. But it’s popularity has soared this year, she says.
“Stylists see that it works and that it’s time efficient,” Ramos says.
On average, the process takes around two hours, and starts at around $150. Thermal reconditioning, on the other hand, can take five to six hours and usually costs $500 and up.
With Brazilian Keratin Treatment, a stylist applies a solution made with keratin. Using a 450-degree iron, the hairdresser seals the formula onto the outer layer of the cuticle. It sticks to the cuticle’s rough edges, trapping moisture and hydrating the hair.
Initially, the hair may seem too straight for many curlies.
“My hair was stick straight,” Frankel says. “It was beyond Marcia Brady straight. I’ve never had my hair so straight in my entire life. Personally, I didn’t like how straight it was.”
Unlike thermal reconditioning, the process washes out so the hair gets wavier over time. Another advantage over thermal reconditioning is that the hair can be curled, giving people more styling options.
“The hair has body and natural movement,” Ramos says.
The process typically lasts from six weeks to a few months — longer for color treated hair — depending on how often the hair is washed. There is no demarcation line between the treated hair and new growth.