Brazilian Keratin Treatment Where have you been all my life? Pic Heavy

lollyoo

Anyone natural tried the formaldehyde free version with good result. Formaldehyde is known cancer causing agent an I think safety level is about 0.5% for european cosmetics (I need to verify this).
I will be weary of using the formaldehyde version.

msa

I don't have any scientific explanation for how it straightens, but they keep saying that the more porous hair is, the better the treatment "bonds". Natural hair cuticle layers are more likely to lay flat and therefor are less porous.

That's all I got... I'm still doin it! lol

Thanks. That's so far all the explanation I found as well. Makes sense though. And, damaged (colored, relaxed, heat damaged) hair would need the keratin most.

A big selling point of BKT is that it doesn’t have the strong chemicals - sodium hydroxide and ammonium thioglycolate - that are in most relaxers and straighteners. These harsh chemicals can cause damage and breakage.

Instead, the active ingredient is keratin, a protein similar to a component in human hair, which naturally straightens the hair. Unlike many chemical processes, Brazilian Keratin Treatment works best on hair that’s been color processed, highlighted or chemically treated.

Unlike other types of relaxers, the treatment can be used over any kind of straightening. “The keratin fits right on the hair’s cortex,” says Nadine Ramos of Brazilian Hair Straightening Inc. in New York’s East Village. “It works as a treatment and a straightener at the same time. It actually strengthens the hair’s cuticle.”

I read this article earlier today.

I don't see how formaldehyde is not a dangerous chemical. Maybe it's not dangerous to the hair, but it's definitely dangerous to your health.

They didn't say how keratin "naturally straightens the hair". If that's the case couldn't someone just buy some keratin and use that to make the hair straighter? Or at least do heavy duty protein treatments to loosen the curl a bit?

I'm just trying to understand how the straightening actually happens. I guess they're using the heat to "set" the hair and make it straight? Kind of like a curly perm?

lollyoo

I just verified my previous information, EU cosmetic directions safety level is 0.1% for internal products e.g mouthwash, 0.2% for external products body cream etc.
Please be well informed before using this product, I suggest may be trying the formaldehyde free version, first.

HTH

luckiestdestiny

Anyone natural tried the formaldehyde free version with good result. Formaldehyde is known cancer causing agent an I think safety level is about 0.5% for european cosmetics (I need to verify this).
I will be weary of using the formaldehyde version.

I thought crazydaze911 is using the free one that is chocolate this time around?

luckiestdestiny

In addition to the formaldehyde free versions: there are places that do it at lower amounts that are safe.
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/spas-sport/24773/scared-straight

While Brazilian straightening hit U.S. salons a few years ago, it became widely available only within the past year. Costing $150 to $600, the Latin treatment is an average of $300 cheaper than its Japanese predecessor, takes less time (two hours versus seven) and promises that it’s safe enough for pregnant women. The only apparent drawback is that it’s a temporary fix, providing only four months of lustrous, not-quite-pin-straight locks.

Intrigued, we sent TONY associate photo editor Roxana Marroquin, who naturally has a head of untamable curls, to test it out. She emerged two hours later from Fiber Hair Salon (789 Lexington Ave at 61st St, 646-478-9991) with radically different, totally sleek hair. Apparently, this is because of keratin, a conditioner. But a few days later, when thumbing through Allure, we discovered that its potency is due to something much worse: formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Surprisingly, after that article hit newsstands, the treatment’s popularity radically increased—underlining just how far women will go for beauty.

After
Photograph: Alexander Milligan and Cinzia Reale-CastelloWorried that we had poisoned poor Roxana (“I thought it was odd that my eyes were stinging a little bit,” she quipped, “though I’d totally do it again”), we called Dr. Ellen Marmur, chief of dermatologic and cosmetic surgery at the Mount Sinai Medical Center. “It’s a problem, because the treatment isn’t regulated by anyone, and one version might be 10 to 20 times higher than the suggested limit of 0.2 percent,” she explains. .........................................
One available solution brand, Advanced Keratin Treatment, falls below the theoretically healthy limit of 0.2 percent. It’s distributed by Nadine Ramos, who owns the Lasio Studios Salon. Of the three distributors we spoke to, Ramos was the only one who continuously tests her product for formaldehyde levels. “-----------------

Here, a breakdown of which NYC salons use which solution, and the risks involved:

Advanced Keratin Treatment (no more than 0.2 percent formaldehyde)

Lasio Studios Salon (Ramos’s spot) 117 E 7th St between First Ave and Ave A (212-477-2088);

---------------

So this one is in the safety limit. Though of course none is better than a little, if I do it I'll stay in the safety limit. Because cosmetics have formaldahyde, some carpet cleaners, pressed wood and other products you may never have thought and people aren't dropping. In addition did research on funeral embalmers who aren't dropping like flies either and are exposed. Of course no one wants to be at high levels and everyone should protect themselves if pursuing this route. Those with the complications in brazil were at ridiculous amounts like 20 percent which isn't even allowed in the U.S. The complications were breathing. They suffocated. Who wouldn't at such a high amount and limited ventilation. The U.S ones are high but range from .0 to 3 percent

Some products containing fromaldehyde that were listed in an article from Pediatric Annals 36:1, January 2007 include:

http://www.dansbullets.com/2007/03/do_your_househo.html
Shampoo: Avon Kids 2-in-1 Super Gentle Shampoo for Normal Hair, Avon, Dove Shampoo, Extra Volume, Unilver, Johnson's Baby Shampoo, Softwash Baby Shampoo, Kissably Baby Soft, Johnson & Johnson

Conditioner:
Avon Kids Super Gentle Conditioner, Detangler, Avon, Dove conditioner, Intense Moisture, Unilever, Nizoral A-D Non-medicated Daily Conditioner, Janssen Pharmaceutica

Hair Gel:
Avon Kids Super Gentle 2-in-1 Soft Styling Gel, all hair types, Avon, Dove Shape & Lift Volumizing Gel, Unilever so multiplicity discipline smoothing gel, Innovative Styling Options

Baby Wipes:
Huggies Natural Care Baby Wipes, Unscented Kimberly-Clark Huggies Newborn Baby Wipes, Fragrance Free, Kimberly-Clark Pampers One-ups, Baby Wipes with Aloe, Alchohol Free, Proctor & Gamble

Vitamins:
Flintstones Children's Complete Multivitamin Chewable Tablets, Bayer; Centrum Kids Complete Vitamins, Chewable Tablets, Wyeth, One-a-Day Kids Scooby-Doo Multivitamin plus Calcium, Chewable Tablets, Bayer
----------------------------

Does that mean to go crazy with the formaldehyde? Of course not, but we are exposed to these chemicals on a daily basis, and their amount are not regulated...there are limits but very few have been tested according to articles I've read.

I think for this product to go with safe amounts, or the ones without it.

Last edited:

msa

Here's what I just posted in the other thread. Apparently there is no formaldehyde free BKT.

The original BKT definitely has formaldehyde. It is possible to find formaldehyde free systems though, but I think they just use a different harsh chemical instead.

How can stylists navigate this confusing mix of contradictory information? Its relatively simple; If a Brazilian Keratin product greatly reduces volume and maintains smooth shine and a reduction in volume for several months, it either has formaldehyde or a similar aldehyde. If something is called a "formaldehyde free" Brazilian Keratin formula, and it lasts only until the next washing, than it may truly be without Formaldehyde or any derivatives.

This quote is taken from:
http://www.keratinbrazil.com/brazil... marketing of formaldehyde free products.html

lollyoo

In addition to the formaldehyde free versions: there are places that do it at lower amounts that are safe.
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/spas-sport/24773/scared-straight

While Brazilian straightening hit U.S. salons a few years ago, it became widely available only within the past year. Costing $150 to $600, the Latin treatment is an average of $300 cheaper than its Japanese predecessor, takes less time (two hours versus seven) and promises that it’s safe enough for pregnant women. The only apparent drawback is that it’s a temporary fix, providing only four months of lustrous, not-quite-pin-straight locks.

Intrigued, we sent TONY associate photo editor Roxana Marroquin, who naturally has a head of untamable curls, to test it out. She emerged two hours later from Fiber Hair Salon (789 Lexington Ave at 61st St, 646-478-9991) with radically different, totally sleek hair. Apparently, this is because of keratin, a conditioner. But a few days later, when thumbing through Allure, we discovered that its potency is due to something much worse: formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Surprisingly, after that article hit newsstands, the treatment’s popularity radically increased—underlining just how far women will go for beauty.

After
Photograph: Alexander Milligan and Cinzia Reale-CastelloWorried that we had poisoned poor Roxana (“I thought it was odd that my eyes were stinging a little bit,” she quipped, “though I’d totally do it again”), we called Dr. Ellen Marmur, chief of dermatologic and cosmetic surgery at the Mount Sinai Medical Center. “It’s a problem, because the treatment isn’t regulated by anyone, and one version might be 10 to 20 times higher than the suggested limit of 0.2 percent,” she explains. .........................................
One available solution brand, Advanced Keratin Treatment, falls below the theoretically healthy limit of 0.2 percent. It’s distributed by Nadine Ramos, who owns the Lasio Studios Salon. Of the three distributors we spoke to, Ramos was the only one who continuously tests her product for formaldehyde levels. “-----------------

Here, a breakdown of which NYC salons use which solution, and the risks involved:

Advanced Keratin Treatment (no more than 0.2 percent formaldehyde)

Lasio Studios Salon (Ramos’s spot) 117 E 7th St between First Ave and Ave A (212-477-2088);

---------------

So this one is in the safety limit. Though of course none is better than a little, if I do it I'll stay in the safety limit. Because cosmetics have formaldahyde, some carpet cleaners, pressed wood and other products you may never have thought and people aren't dropping. In addition did research on funeral embalmers who aren't dropping like flies either and are exposed. Of course no one wants to be at high levels and everyone should protect themselves if pursuing this route.

Some products containing fromaldehyde that were listed in an article from Pediatric Annals 36:1, January 2007 include:

http://www.dansbullets.com/2007/03/do_your_househo.html
Shampoo: Avon Kids 2-in-1 Super Gentle Shampoo for Normal Hair, Avon, Dove Shampoo, Extra Volume, Unilver, Johnson's Baby Shampoo, Softwash Baby Shampoo, Kissably Baby Soft, Johnson & Johnson

Conditioner:
Avon Kids Super Gentle Conditioner, Detangler, Avon, Dove conditioner, Intense Moisture, Unilever, Nizoral A-D Non-medicated Daily Conditioner, Janssen Pharmaceutica

Hair Gel:
Avon Kids Super Gentle 2-in-1 Soft Styling Gel, all hair types, Avon, Dove Shape & Lift Volumizing Gel, Unilever so multiplicity discipline smoothing gel, Innovative Styling Options

Baby Wipes:
Huggies Natural Care Baby Wipes, Unscented Kimberly-Clark Huggies Newborn Baby Wipes, Fragrance Free, Kimberly-Clark Pampers One-ups, Baby Wipes with Aloe, Alchohol Free, Proctor & Gamble

Vitamins:
Flintstones Children's Complete Multivitamin Chewable Tablets, Bayer; Centrum Kids Complete Vitamins, Chewable Tablets, Wyeth, One-a-Day Kids Scooby-Doo Multivitamin plus Calcium, Chewable Tablets, Bayer
----------------------------

Does that mean to go crazy with the formaldehyde? Of course not, but we are exposed to these chemicals on a daily basis, and their amount are not regulated.

I think for this product to go with safe amounts, or the ones without it.

Luckiest Destiny thanks for the list of other products. Under EU law cosmetics are regulated so I know even if products have formaldehyde in it will be within safety limits.

I make cosmetic products myself and under EU law, making and selling something as simple as body butter need to be safety assessed by a chemist before you can sell it.

My question still stand any natural tried formaldehyde free version with success.

luckiestdestiny

Luckiestdestiny is crazydaze911 natural, I am trying to find out if any natural has had good success with formaldehyde free version.

Thanks

She has relaxed ends but the rest is natural. So roughly 80 percent from what she said via pm. I'm 100 percent natural and i realize when people say 80 percent it drives others mad, but I'm just saying that a signficant portion of her hair is natural and she's using it with success. I asked her via pm about that portion and she says that she was successful using it. Yes it doesn't get straight,, it significantly loosens the curl for a time.

Hopefully she'll chime in soon.

In addition I posted a place that is in the safety range if you are considering a little higher. They also sell it, I believe (I saw an add in craigslist a while ago)

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey DSD, I'm seriously considering BKT. I'm a 4a natural with very healthy non porous hair. Do you think it would help me to get smooth roller set/silk wraps with flat ironed roots? That's the only reason I'm considering texlaxing. I don't have any desire to regularly use my flat iron.

What do you think? Have you considered roller setting since your BKT experience? I could live vicariously through you... :D
Absolutely! If you can get your hair straight with just a flatiron alone then this treatment should work well with your hair. You will get even better results with continued use.

When I shampoo my hair it dries almost straight. I am texlaxed. I do plan on doing roller sets when my hair gets a little longer. :yep: I'll keep everyone updated long term.

My daughter is some what a 4a and her transitioning hair gets silky smooth. You just have to make sure you use enough tension with the rollers to get the smooth results. You will still need to use your styling products.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Looks beautiful! I tried it but the intense flat ironing scared me off. I want to do it again because it was awesome but I'm so scared to lose my progress. My hispanic friend gets it done and I am so jealous of her straight silky hair.
Thanks! You won't loose your progress from getting the treatment done. It has heat protectants in it and it also rebuilds the hair by adding the keratin into the shaft. It's not like you are going to be using that type of heat everyday. It will make your hair better. :yep:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I also did my research of some of the companies offering the BKT. I decided to go with the Marcia Teixeira because her company is the originator of the treatment. I had extensive talks with the representatives about safety issues I had and I came out feeling very comfortable with this particular brand. Some companies sell the treatments with the higher percentage of formaldehyde. I was taught that no one's hair needed more than the safe limit of 0.2% . That's what I use in my salon.

I will keep everyone updated longterm on the effects it has on me and my DD's hair.

HHG

AtlantaJJ

Thanks for sharing this DSD!! This looks very promising especially for a 4a/b natural that likes to workout and need easy styling options!!

Please keep us posted, your hair is beautiful. I'll be coming to see you soon for a flat iron and a trim :yep:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Thanks for sharing this DSD!! This looks very promising especially for a 4a/b natural that likes to workout and need easy styling options!!

Please keep us posted, your hair is beautiful. I'll be coming to see you soon for a flat iron and a trim :yep:
Thanks!! Looking forward to it.:yep:

healthytext

Wow, your results are very encouraging! If only I had $x00 lying around. :lol:

I enjoyed the discussion in this thread and just wanted to add a few tidbits of info that I found regarding the purpose of the formaldehyde:

Excerpt from Salon Today Investigates Brazilian Keratin Services

Keratin treatments to smooth hair began in rural Brazil more than 10 years ago. Someone discovered that certain preservative chemicals seemed to link keratin to hair, resulting in frizz-free locks that lasted for months. This got the attention of Brazilian cosmetic manufacturers, who began testing and formulating.

Researchers discovered that when the cuticle is open, the protein keratin can be introduced, along with cosmetic-grade formaldehyde, which is known to cross-link proteins in hair. Then, the cuticle is sealed with multiple-pass flatironing at 450 degrees. During the flatironing, the heat can cause fumes to be released. This step—the fumes—is the center of the keratin treatment confusion and controversy.

According to Doug Schoon, a chemist and president of Schoon Scientific in Dana Point, California, any keratin treatment product that supposedly contains formaldehyde actually uses an ingredient called formalin. Formaldehyde is a gas and, as such, can’t be a liquid, so could not be added as a cosmetic ingredient.

According to Doug Schoon, a chemist and president of Schoon Scientific in Dana Point, California, any keratin treatment product that supposedly contains formaldehyde actually uses an ingredient called formalin. Formaldehyde is a gas and, as such, can’t be a liquid, so could not be added as a cosmetic ingredient.

Schoon explains that formalin is created when dry formaldehyde gas is reacted with water to create a new and different substance called methylene glycol.

“Methylene glycol is a totally different chemical with completely different properties and characteristics,” he says. “For years, this name mistake has been made around the world by scientists, doctors and regulators, until last December when formalin’s name was officially changed in the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) dictionary.”

“When you heat formalin,” Schoon adds, “it can convert back into the original form and release a small amount of formaldehyde gas in the air.”

That’s why, for instance, the FDA takes no issue with nail hardeners containing up to 5-percent formalin. These products are more than a “coating,” says Schoon. “Formalin is reactive to proteins and creates a chemical link or bridge with them.”

Like the second step of a perm process, keratin treatments with formalin don’t break bonds in the hair, but do “fix” the keratin in place, semi-permanently. Whether ingredients other than formalin act identically is unclear.
...and keratin's abilities:

A comment from Dr. Ali Syed about the NanoKeratin system

After the Escova fad was over in Brazil, it had entered in the US market in places like Miami and New York. This product is camouflaged as a Keratin treatment. All of us in chemical business know that keratin cant straighten hair.

sheba1

HealthyText, that post helps explain things very well. Thank you!

DSD, I have a question for you. How might ones hair care regimen change with the addition of BKT? I know many of us here are into DCing but I read in one article that DCing may not be good for this treatment. Also, is it ok to clarify with the clarifying shampoo that comes with the treatment during the months of wear? Or is it only ok to do so when about to reapply? Are there any commecial shampoos and conditioners that you recommend for care in between treatments? Or is it best to stick with the manufacturer?

Sorry for all the questions! I have been reading nonstop on BKT since this thread, but I haven't found the answers to those questions.

Thanks again for sharing, DSD

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
HealthyText, that post helps explain things very well. Thank you!

DSD, I have a question for you. How might ones hair care regimen change with the addition of BKT? I know many of us here are into DCing but I read in one article that DCing may not be good for this treatment. Also, is it ok to clarify with the clarifying shampoo that comes with the treatment during the months of wear? Or is it only ok to do so when about to reapply? Are there any commecial shampoos and conditioners that you recommend for care in between treatments? Or is it best to stick with the manufacturer?

Sorry for all the questions! I have been reading nonstop on BKT since this thread, but I haven't found the answers to those questions.

Thanks again for sharing, DSD
The hair won't need to be conditioned as much. You can probably deep condition on an as needed basis. Probably about 2-3 times a month should do it. You can use your styling products as before but sparingly. Styling products are used to smooth the hair but with the BKT the hair is already smooth.

I wouldn't suggest using a clarifying shampoo in between as it will cause the treatment to wear faster. You can use any shampoos and conditioners that don't contain sodium chloride. I recommend either the manufacturer's shampoos and conditioners or either Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo and moisture balance conditioner or Pureology Shampoos and conditioners.

Your hair won't need a lot of daily moisturizing products either. Your hair will be strong and virtually breakfree with the minimul use of conditioners and moisturizers. HTH

Desarae

The hair won't need to be conditioned as much. You can probably deep condition on an as needed basis. Probably about 2-3 times a month should do it. You can use your styling products as before but sparingly. Styling products are used to smooth the hair but with the BKT the hair is already smooth.

I wouldn't suggest using a clarifying shampoo in between as it will cause the treatment to wear faster. You can use any shampoos and conditioners that don't contain sodium chloride. I recommend either the manufacturer's shampoos and conditioners or either Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo and moisture balance conditioner or Pureology Shampoos and conditioners.

Your hair won't need a lot of daily moisturizing products either. Your hair will be strong and virtually breakfree with the minimul use of conditioners and moisturizers. HTH

It sounds too good to be true!!

JustKiya

This is more and more intriguing - if I ever decide I want to rock straight hair for an extended period of time, I might consider the BKT - the fact that you only HAVE to use heat once is most interesting .... I wonder whether anyone in Memphis offers it?

NikStarrr

You and your daughter's hair look great!

Though, I will say, I think 10 passes with a 450 degree flat iron through my hair would loosen the curl too, with no keratin! lol I kinda think the BKT is possibly a healthy way to "heat stretch" hair. I'm curious to see if hair FULLY reverts after this treatment.

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
You and your daughter's hair look great!

Though, I will say, I think 10 passes with a 450 degree flat iron through my hair would loosen the curl too, with no keratin! lol I kinda think the BKT is possibly a healthy way to "heat stretch" hair. I'm curious to see if hair FULLY reverts after this treatment.
Thanks. I'll keep you posted!

MarieB

I am seriously considering this. I am wondering where are all the other women who've tried this? Not too many have chimed in.

healthytext

It seems like the above^ in red, counters the first quote you posted...it seemed perfectly healthy and then you noted keratin's abilities, which seem fraudulent and unhealthy...which do you think it is, healthytext? I've not researched this as you have, and i take it, from your comment earlier, you think this is okay to use?

Keratin itself is a good thing. I added that comment about keratin's abilities because of the article quoted in msa's post. Keratin is a protein and doesn't straighten the hair. I've read similar sentiments elsewhere such as in this huge thread about BKT:

Brazilian Keratin treatment has Aldehyde, a form of formaldehyde. Keratin has been used by itself as a conditioner for many years. Keratin does not straighten hair. Formaldehyde and Aldehyde both "petrify" the bonds, and once heat processed with a flat iron, they are frozen straight.
It's the formalin/formaldehyde gas released during the flat ironing that makes people give pause. I think using proper ventilation and following the safety precautions seems to mitigate the risk. I'm still trying to read as much as I can about the various formulations and alternatives but so far I'm not very concerned.

lollyoo

I also did my research of some of the companies offering the BKT. I decided to go with the Marcia Teixeira because her company is the originator of the treatment. I had extensive talks with the representatives about safety issues I had and I came out feeling very comfortable with this particular brand. Some companies sell the treatments with the higher percentage of formaldehyde. I was taught that no one's hair needed more than the safe limit of 0.2% . That's what I use in my salon.

I will keep everyone updated longterm on the effects it has on me and my DD's hair.

HHG

DSD, it is great your salon offers the one's within the safety limit. I wish you live close to me. It is also good for you as well, as you will be getting more exposure than your customer. I have to start researching products that contain 0.2% or less.
As long as it is within safety limit I dont mind trying, my health is very important to me.