Brazilian Keratin Treatment Where have you been all my life? Pic Heavy

princessnad

Another BKT advocate here. I use 4% from Global Keratin in chocolate listed above. Yes, 4%. It's a lot but I use ventilation and keep my huge windows open. I also wear gloves (sometimes). I have pics of the first treatment in my lhcf album. Those aren't the best pics because it was my first time. I was transitioning at the time and still am... I think much of my ability to resist the relaxer was due to BKT. I love this thing!

The results have only gotten better and better and I don't use 10 strokes of the flat iron now when I do my treatment. More like 3- 5. I actually "cheat" and put heat protectant on the very ends of my hair just in case. My hair is still straighter all the way from root to tip. I will continue to do this for a couple of more years until I think my natural hair is long enough to do a big cut then I will stop the BKT or do it sparingly depending on the level of curl I want. I consider it like a temporary texlax. It's amazing!

sheba1

I will continue to do this for a couple of more years until I think my natural hair is long enough to do a big cut then I will stop the BKT or do it sparingly depending on the level of curl I want. I consider it like a temporary texlax. It's amazing!

Hey there, good to see you, Princessnad!

May I ask you a few questions? Is your hair straight when wet? Or does it have a wave? How often do you do the treatment? When you stop doing the treatment, what do you plan on doing with your hair? Will you still wear it straight but press instead of BKT? Do you mind if I ask why?

Last edited:

dany06

Hey dontspeakdefeat Im thinking about getting this treatment done sometime soon. My only concern is about what hair products can I use after the treatment. Should I avoid cones? Will my hair not need all of the overly moisturizing products that I use now on my natural textured hair? I already know to avoid sodium chloride. Should I try to avoid sulfate too? Also what are you using on yourself and your daughters hair for daily styling and maintenance?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey dontspeakdefeat Im thinking about getting this treatment done sometime soon. My only concern is about what hair products can I use after the treatment. Should I avoid cones? Will my hair not need all of the overly moisturizing products that I use now on my natural textured hair? I already know to avoid sodium chloride. Should I try to avoid sulfate too? Also what are you using on yourself and your daughters hair for daily styling and maintenance?
It's best to avoid both. On shampoo day I use the Elucence moisture benefits shampoo and moisture balance conditioner. These have worked out well. You won't need all the heavy moisturizers for you hair because it will be so soft and supple from the treatment. I just use a little Silk hydrating elixer for the ends.

dany06

It's best to avoid both. On shampoo day I use the Elucence moisture benefits shampoo and moisture balance conditioner. These have worked out well. You won't need all the heavy moisturizers for you hair because it will be so soft and supple from the treatment. I just use a little Silk hydrating elixer for the ends.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the shampoo and conditioner. Would I need any type of leave-in instead of moisturizer? Also what is silk hydrating elixir? Is that part of the Elucence brand?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
It's best to avoid both. On shampoo day I use the Elucence moisture benefits shampoo and moisture balance conditioner. These have worked out well. You won't need all the heavy moisturizers for you hair because it will be so soft and supple from the treatment. I just use a little Silk hydrating elixer for the ends.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the shampoo and conditioner. Would I need any type of leave-in instead of moisturizer? Also what is silk hydrating elixir? Is that part of the Elucence brand?

You won't need a leave in unless you just really want to use one. The silk hydrating elixir is made my Elucence. It makes hair so soft!! :yep:

ChoKitty

I have a question. I've been doing this for a little while now...I've done 3 or 4 applications....and while I LOVE what it does for my hair, I've noticed that after I have an incredibly flaky scalp. Before I do it, my scalp is perfectly fine, healthy and almost no flakes...has anyone else noticed this, and if so, what do you do to combat it? Its taken me almost three weeks to get my scalp back to normal...and I DO avoid putting the product on my scalp.

carolb21

Does this repair severly damaged hair or thicken thin ends? Can you use it immediately after relaxing and coloring the hair? If you exercise a lot can you sweat this out?
Thanks

sheba1

Does this repair severly damaged hair or thicken thin ends? It is supposed to :yep:

Can you use it immediately after relaxing and coloring the hair? The makers of the product say this is the best time as this is the time when your hair is most porous. Some on lhcf, however, worry that this may be too much manipulation immediately following a relaxer. FoxxyLisa1025 says that when she gets her BKT they do not blow dry first before applying the product. This would remove some of the manipulation but not all, as there is still the blow dry after product and the flat iron.

If you exercise a lot can you sweat this out? You can but not as easily. If you have new growth that you have applied BKT to, it should be somewhat straight (or for some wavy) even when wet
Thanks

Yamisgurl, I'm sorry no one has responded to your question. I don't know if this means no one else has experienced this after the BKT? I'm not sure what might help to resolve the issue, unfortunately. :ohwell:

msa

I have a question. I've been doing this for a little while now...I've done 3 or 4 applications....and while I LOVE what it does for my hair, I've noticed that after I have an incredibly flaky scalp. Before I do it, my scalp is perfectly fine, healthy and almost no flakes...has anyone else noticed this, and if so, what do you do to combat it? Its taken me almost three weeks to get my scalp back to normal...and I DO avoid putting the product on my scalp.

Well the product washes out right? So it's getting on your scalp whenever you wash/wet your hair, causing a reaction.

naturalmanenyc

Maybe its a reaction to the active ingredients? Our hair is made of keratin so I would not think the keratin itself is causing your flaking?

naturalmanenyc

I never had the treatment but it washes out....so sweating should not cause a problem unless it's during the first 3-4 day period after the application when the hair it to remain dry & straight.

I have read that BKT can be applied right after a relaxer or right after a coloring. Supposedly BKT works better if the hair is chemically treated.

Does this repair severly damaged hair or thicken thin ends? Can you use it immediately after relaxing and coloring the hair? If you exercise a lot can you sweat this out?
Thanks

Last edited:

carolb21

Thank you guys so much.....:grin:
I have been thinking about using this product for a long time. I will probably try it this summer.
Thanks again!

mrsthiggy

Ms. DSD, thank u so much for ur post! Did u use all the products from Maria's line.... is it safe to use other products for washing and conditioning as long as they dont have sodium lauryl sulfate?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Ms. DSD, thank u so much for ur post! Did u use all the products from Maria's line.... is it safe to use other products for washing and conditioning as long as they dont have sodium lauryl sulfate?
I sell the shampoo and conditioner from her line but I don't actually use it. I was always an Elucence fan so I just kind of stuck with what works. You can use other products that are sulfate free. :yep:

Faith

I have a question...so if a 4b natural used this and was to wash...what does the wet hair look like? Would said 4b natural have to use heat again to get it straight? What is the hair texture at this point?

sheba1

I have a question...so if a 4b natural used this and was to wash...what does the wet hair look like? Would said 4b natural have to use heat again to get it straight? What is the hair texture at this point?

I want to know this, too. Any 4b's with experience please jump in!

I know Brittany is a 4b and her hair actually remains straight even while wet. You can see in her fotki how tight her coils were here. And you can see her hair wet after a years worth of BKT (without ever fully washing it out) here. I saw in a thread where she said that she alternates between roller sets and flat ironing to get her hair straight on a regular basis but have yet to find a single pic of a roller set BKT result online :(. I wish there were more naturals that had experienced with BKT.

Faith

I know Brittany is a 4b and her hair actually remains straight even while wet. You can see in her fotki how tight her coils were here. And you can see her hair wet after a years worth of BKT (without ever fully washing it out) here. I saw in a thread where she said that she alternates between roller sets and flat ironing to get her hair straight on a regular basis but have yet to find a single pic of a roller set BKT result online :(. I wish there were more naturals that had experienced with BKT.

See, that's what I would have an issue with. You use that much heat with the BKT and then you may need to still use heat on a regular basis? Uh-uh! LOL!

naturalmanenyc

The 4a curls are looser (and lightly coated so easier to manage) but the curls are still there. The wet hair does shrink but not as much. You will need to rollerset & flat iron or blowout/flat iron, airdry/flat iron. It seems as though the hair will get straighter over time with more applications.

AtlantaJJ

Thanks

This is key for me, I sweat a lot in my head when I workout. I love to workout, this has always been a challenge for me.

The 4a curls are looser (and lightly coated so easier to manage) but the curls are still there. The wet hair does shrink but not as much. You will need to rollerset & flat iron or blowout/flat iron, airdry/flat iron. It seems as though the hair will get straighter over time with more applications.

If this works the way I think it does, I may have to do a few treatments more frequently to make my hair more manageable in conjunction with my exercise.

This may be a solution for me for the first time in a very long time that I can have manageable hair and exercise hard without a relaxer, braids or extensions of some sort, and retain length at the same time. :scratchch

I'm laying back in the cut soaking up all the info I can... I'm sure we will have more info by Thanksgiving that will help me decide if this is the right choice for me.

Faith

Thanks for the info. naturaltobe. I'm with you AtlantaJJ, I will wait it out to see if there are any adverse effects.

hothair

See, that's what I would have an issue with. You use that much heat with the BKT and then you may need to still use heat on a regular basis? Uh-uh! LOL!

I'm 4ab mostly natural (have probably about an inch texlaxed ends) my hair comes out pretty similar with Brittany's, main thing is my hair dries a LOT smoother, the coils are much much looser, say from a 4ab to a 3c 4a for me, and it takes one swipe on very low heat with my FHI to get my hair silky straight:drunk:, it's probably less heat than i use to deep condition. Details on my LHCF blog http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?u=15677...

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

I hear ya. I'm not 4b. I'm 4a) (some 3c), but I can rollerset my hair and get it pretty darn straight on it's own with a pony wrap. The roots are a little weird, but run a flat iron over it once (just the roots) and move on or I've done a silk wrap (thanks for the pm pokahontas it really helped me last year!) and that keeps me from having to do that (If I want it straight w/o heat). Now with the bk your curls are even looser so darn straight some lasio lasio mixed w/ water and my favorite products, seal and roller set and I could see this being fabulous.

Another thing crazydaze911 has 4a parts too (from her pm) and that's her hair curly and dry. It's AFTER BK, per a previous pm session conversation I had with her. Just scroll down to see her pics to get an idea.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=7447269&highlight=#post7447269

Last edited:

addaboutmyhair

This is key for me, I sweat a lot in my head when I workout. I love to workout, this has always been a challenge for me.

If this works the way I think it does, I may have to do a few treatments more frequently to make my hair more manageable in conjunction with my exercise.

This may be a solution for me for the first time in a very long time that I can have manageable hair and exercise hard without a relaxer, braids or extensions of some sort, and retain length at the same time. :scratchch

I'm laying back in the cut soaking up all the info I can... I'm sure we will have more info by Thanksgiving that will help me decide if this is the right choice for me.

Are you natural, texlaxed or relaxed? How often do you wash your hair? These questions will determine how long the BKT will last.

BKT will straiten texlaxed and relaxed hair. Hair will air dry straight after washing. The more you wash, the faster you wash it all out and have to reapply. But its great for excercise. I sweat in my hair too, but as I said, my hair air dries straight so no problem.

BKT softens but doesn't straigten natural hair unless you already have a loose curl, like a 1 or 2. Then it airdries to a curly texture.

Hope that helps!:yep:

addaboutmyhair

Your curl would be softened but you would have to use heat to get it straight.