Breakage and loss of elasticity????

SelfStyled

Hey everryone,

Ladies, I am in need of encouragement/advice. I feel so sad and frustrated. After my last touchup and corrective, my hair has been breaking, breaking, breaking. At first I thought it was cause the stylist did the corrective with a no lye relaxer. But now I realize that my hair is breaking pretty much where the corrective was applied. The corrected hair seems overprocessed. My end look even thinner now because I am having so much mid shaft breakage. It also seems like I am doing having a loss of elasticity.

Any suggestions for breakage? How can I increase elasticity?

Right now I wash 1-2x a week. I alternate between Con Poo and Trader Joe's nourish spa. I have been DCing with Nexxus Humectress, and using the scarf method to air dry. I moisturize 1-2x a day with profective BreakFree or NTM and seal with Hot Six Oil or castor oil.

I just see all my length dreams going out the window...... I see a lot of trims in my future. Of course the underprocessed parts would have to be in the middle of my strands....:wallbash:

I have been upping the moisture because my hair feels as dry as the Sahara desert. When I do a strand test,my hair has very little stretch. It seemed over proteinated (if that's even a word), that's why I have been using the moisture. I did a henna treatment a month ago (before I realized my hair was breaking mid shaft)and my hair has been really dry ever since:ohwell:.

Would a light protein help or make matters worse?

The corrective was 8 weeks ago.

Thanks so much for any tips suggestion, you have.

silverlotus

if the problem is overprocessing - i would try a med-heavy protein, just make sure to follow it with a deep moisturizing conditioner. when your hair is lacking too much protein, it can't hold on to moisture. that might be your problem.

Last edited:

RubyWoo

if the problem is overprocessing - i would try a med-heavy protein, just make sure to follow it with a deep moisturizing conditioner. when your hair is lacking too much protein, it can't hold on to moisture. that might be your problem.

c/s............

Last edited:

sareca

When my hair's breaking more often a lack of moisture than a lack of protein. Try putting conditioner on your hair when it dry (don't wash first) then either cover it with a hot wet towel or put a plastic cap on, and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes then rinse. I follow with an oil rinse. That pretty much ends any moisture problems for me, but when that doesn't work a couple sprays of biolage fortifying leave-in does. :yep:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=154073
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

Last edited:

neonbright

First try Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor and follow up with a moisturizer conditioner. If that doesn't work then Revlon Duo Tex and follow with up with a moisturizer conditioner. Not just a moisturizer conditioner only, you gotta do this, I know you will get good results.

Chromia

I used to use Profectiv BreakFree once or twice a day. I had a lot of breakage during that time. I realized that using all that protein every day was too much for my hair, so maybe that's the case with your hair.

Empress Yahudah

When my hair's breaking more often a lack of moisture than a lack of protein. Try putting conditioner on your hair when it dry (don't wash first) then either cover it with a hot wet towel or put a plastic cap on, and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes then rinse. I follow with an oil rinse. That pretty much ends any moisture problems for me, but when that doesn't work a couple sprays of biolage fortifying leave-in does. :yep:

I agree it sounds like a moisture issue and over processed.. u can also try this:

clarify,rinse,then use a moisturizing poo, rinse ,use Porosity Control leave on about 5 min then rinse, DC with a moisturizing deep conditioner that doesnt have any protien for 30 min covered with plastic cap under dryer/ or wet hot towel if u dont have a hooded dryer rinse, then follow with a creamy leave-in that doesnt have alot of protein and moisturize daily... I use Giovanni Direct as a daily moisturizer..I seal with grapeseed oil it makes my hair real soft...
the following week do the same except dont clarify but do a pre-poo w/ a moisture conditioner and EVOO for an hour or a 1/2 hr w/ heat followed by poo and the rest of the stuff

I would do that till the dryness issue feels over with... after thats in controll then alternate w/ moisture and light-med protein conditioner for stability.. skip the henna till of course ur hair is back on track

Hopefully that will work...HTH

Last edited:

SelfStyled

Thanks for thr tip:yep:- I have been wanting to try an oil rinse.

SelfStyled

First try Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor and follow up with a moisturizer conditioner. If that doesn't work then Revlon Duo Tex and follow with up with a moisturizer conditioner. Not just a moisturizer conditioner only, you gotta do this, I know you will get good results.

Can you feel my fear about the protein......:look:. I will give it a try.

SelfStyled

I used to use Profectiv BreakFree once or twice a day. I had a lot of breakage during that time. I realized that using all that protein every day was too much for my hair, so maybe that's the case with your hair.

You know I have heard people say that about the Breakfree before, but I checked the ingredients and there are 19 other ingredients before the protein is listed? Do you think that could be the source? What moisurizer have you had success with? TIA!!

silverlotus

if you're scared, do a lighter one first. you should be fine if you d/c well afterwards. the reason it seems like it's a protein issue is b/c you're doing a lot of moisturizing & it's not helping at all, plus you are overprocessed on top of that.

it could be the profectiv like someone else said, that crossed my mind too. i guess you could stop using it for a week or 2 to see if it helps the situation & then do the protein if that doesn't work.

ETA: this thread might help you: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610

Last edited:

SelfStyled

I agree it sounds like a moisture issue and over processed.. u can also try this:

clarify,rinse,then use a moisturizing poo, rinse ,use Porosity Control leave on about 5 min then rinse, DC with a moisturizing deep conditioner that doesnt have any protien for 30 min covered with plastic cap under dryer/ or wet hot towel if u dont have a hooded dryer rinse, then follow with a creamy leave-in that doesnt have alot of protein and moisturize daily... I use Giovanni Direct as a daily moisturizer..I seal with grapeseed oil it makes my hair real soft...
the following week do the same except dont clarify but do a pre-poo w/ a moisture conditioner and EVOO for an hour or a 1/2 hr w/ heat followed by poo and the rest of the stuff

I would do that till the dryness issue feels over with... after thats in controll then alternate w/ moisture and light-med protein conditioner for stability.. skip the henna till of course ur hair is back on track

Hopefully that will work...HTH

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I did this EXACT same thing on Tue night(my last wash)- I DC'd w/ humctress that does have protein in it though:nono:. I loved the results of the henna, but I can't even consider it until I get this dryness issue under control