Breakage

Purtygurly

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I had breakage problems all over my head just a few weeks ago. I changed my comb and started rinsing out my hair in the shower, which makes a huge difference.

Now I'm noticing that it's a specific part of my hair that's breaking. In the very back, mostly on the left side. No matter how gentle I am, hair breaks off there. I don't know if it was over processed or what.

You can still see the growth that's happened there. My hair reaches the beginning of my neck (is there a word for that?) and it hasn't before. I'm worried that it'll be thin.

The hair back there is also more brittle and doesn't hold a curl as well as the rest of my hair. It's not a huge chunk of hair or anything, just a small spot where only one curler goes.

I made a decision to stop trimming my hair until next year (because I want to gain a lot of length), but I'm thinking about just trimming the back.

What would you do if you were me?

Oh, I have another question too. I hardly see any shedding! Only up to 5 shed hairs. I'm worried about that. It's suppossesd to be at least 50! I get about 20 hairs coming out on regular days and about 40 hairs on days when I wash. I sit there and look for shedding but don't see any. Is it possible to miss them or something? Do they ALWAYS have a white bulb at the end? Is it possible for someone to only shed 5 hairs a day?

katie

I think it is possible to shed very little.I shed maybe 5 hairs a day max.I was wondering if I was shedding and just not noticing.

Purtygurly

bump

no one wants to answer me?

miss_brown

Shed hairs always have a white bulb on the end, even though it may be very small. Otherwise, it's breakage

Also, people shed at different rates, so you should be glad that you fall on the low side of the spectrum

Re the area in the back of your head, I would just be as gentle with that area as possible. I'm not permed, but I do have a similar area on my head and I just make sure to detangle that area very gently and use a little more conditioner on that area. This has worked for me. As a last resort, you might want to consider doing a protein treatment.

keylargo

I have had a similar issue. I figured out that the breakage I had at the nape of my neck and around the sides was from tying my hair up too tight at night. i could see a line that was in the exact spot that my scarf would be tied at. it's growing back now but I've had to stop using that particular head wrap. I now either use a doo-rag because it doesn't fit as tightly around my head. I use that or nothing at all.

Another thing is, make sure you are rinsing out your shampoos/conditioner or chemicals good in the back. I use the sink a lot to rinse so sometimes the back is hard to reach. Maybe you should rinse in the shower if you don't already do so.

Really think long and hard about what may be causing the breakage.

Jubilee

It could be from over-processing or putting your hair in certain styles. Hair accessories can be a problem too.

HotCoCoGurl130

Since I have started to notice I shed from 20-30 hairs a day(with the little white bulb). Is this the normal number? Also is this just the natural way my hair is when it sheds? Can I do something to lessen it?

beana3

I have the same exact problem. I opted to cut mine out gradually. A professional trim from a scissor happy stlist every 2 months should eventually do it, lol.

This sucks for me because i wanted to focus on length but now i'm absolutely Obsessed with cutting my hair to rid it of any bad spots. I have about 6 months to go before i can focus on length

debyjay

Hi HotCoCoGurl,
I used Nutrine (sp)? garlic shampoo and conditioner last Sunday and it decreased my shedding by 70%. It's really effective. You should give it a try.

HotCoCoGurl130

[ QUOTE ]
debyjay said:
Hi HotCoCoGurl,
I used Nutrine (sp)? garlic shampoo and conditioner last Sunday and it decreased my shedding by 70%. It's really effective. You should give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx, one more thing to bye, lol. But its all in the name of beauty!