Breakage

leona2025

Ok Ladies this is my current issue. It's like this around the whole perimeter of my head. I want to grow it out to apl and I guess then it would look like long layers because I don't see a way it could catch up with the length of my hair. I have stopped wearing my tight ponytails. How long do you think it will take to grow out?

Last edited:

gissellr78

same here girl! I dont know the answer but i hate it....i think the hairline is very week.....lets see if we get answers.

Qualitee

The hair breaks due to ponytail holders. It wont really go away unless you stop wear ponytails for a while. I say embrace it. Most of it will go away but you will still have some stray hairs. You can moisturize the hair around where the ponytail holder will be and the ponytail holder it self. Try using silk or satin scrungies too HTH

Last edited:

silkii_locks

Same here. I've heard that it could possibly be the way that we relax our hair. Experts say you're supposed to do the hairline last b/c it's the weakest part. If the relaxer is left on this weak part for too long it becomes even weaker and therefore breaks. This is why I have completely stopped relaxing my nape area and it is growing out nicely. But I still have the breakage in the front. HTH

gissellr78

Same here. I've heard that it could possibly be the way that we relax our hair. Experts say you're supposed to do the hairline last b/c it's the weakest part. If the relaxer is left on this weak part for too long it becomes even weaker and therefore breaks. This is why I have completely stopped relaxing my nape area and it is growing out nicely. But I still have the breakage in the front. HTH

This is totally true...i relax my hairline last

LivingDol1

also consider that your hairline is most likely the part of your hair that comes in contact with water, soap, moisturizer, whatever you put on your face, about once or twice a day. it's bound to be stressed out in some way or another, more so than the rest of your hair.

i guess i would baby the hairline just like anything else, and try to be careful when washing your face and applying makeup or topical creams, etc etc.... the less stress the better.

but i think this is normal for most people.... HTH.

leona2025

I relax this part last too. I do my 2 back sections first including the nape. They are the hardest to relax. My nape has grown out nicely. I really have some little tufts behind the ears and when I do too tight ponytails that's mainly where I feel the tension.

The Princess

I have the same issue in the same area. However I know mine is from my headgear I have to wear at work. After taking it off and on every time I walk in and out any building, its steady putting wear and tear on that area. So I know the feeling. I just try to keep it moisturize.

skatergurljubulee

I found that it was caused by ponytail holders.
So, I alternate between loose ponies with good day hair pins, and twisting my hair and putting it in a loose clip. Or I wear it down in a braid out style. I think you can still wear ponytails with tension, but you've got to rotate that style with one or two others so it doesn't weaken the strands over time. Plus, protien treatments and deep conditioning never hurts. I combine all these things and it's pretty much taken care of the problem.

Oh! And like others have mentioned, I relax my nape/hairline last as an extra precaution. I'm working on not being so rough around my edges when washing my face. That, in my opinion, has been the most detrimental.

Denise11

also consider that your hairline is most likely the part of your hair that comes in contact with water, soap, moisturizer, whatever you put on your face, about once or twice a day. it's bound to be stressed out in some way or another, more so than the rest of your hair.

i guess i would baby the hairline just like anything else, and try to be careful when washing your face and applying makeup or topical creams, etc etc.... the less stress the better.

but i think this is normal for most people.... HTH.

This has been my problem for many years. Every time I wash my face (2-3x a day) I would accidently wash my hairline too. And I never rinsed my hairline well, because I didn't even know that I was washing it in the first place. I wasn't moisturizing afterwards either! :wallbash: Well, my hair was always thin around my hairline. All of these 20+ years, I thought that I was thin because of wearing ponytails. Now I'm not so sure. I'm going to start wearing something on my head when I wash my face, and see if things change.

HeShotMeBangBang

Ok Ladies this is my current issue. It's like this around the whole perimeter of my head. I want to grow it out to apl and I guess then it would look like long layers because I don't see a way it could catch up with the length of my hair. I have stopped wearing my tight ponytails. How long do you think it will take to grow out?

u have FLYAWAYS ( like white people,b/c their hair is straighten) LOL@ u....:blush::grin:

go to walmart and get some growth grease for your hair line parnevu growth cream or grease or better yet buy fantastix hair thickener
http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/fahath4oz.html
u can get it at the bss also...

your edges aren't that bad....

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
What are you using to tie your hair up at night?

I ask b/c I was having the same issue. Along w/ wearing my ponytails too tightly, I noticed that the bonnet that I was using was too tight around that area and I always ended up with breakage in that area.

leona2025

What are you using to tie your hair up at night?

I ask b/c I was having the same issue. Along w/ wearing my ponytails too tightly, I noticed that the bonnet that I was using was too tight around that area and I always ended up with breakage in that area.

I tie my edges down with a satin scarf and then I put on a satin bonnet. The bonnet is very loose ans usually will slip off which is why I also use the scarf.

leona2025

Do you have highlights? That could be causing breakage too.

Not really. I dyed the middle section myself. At first I thought it was the color, but the hair on the sides, behind my ears, and at the nape have never been dyed and they are short too.