Breonna Taylor, Kentucky Emt Worker, Shot Dead After Police Raided 'wrong Home'

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside
U.S. NEWS
Woman shot and killed by Kentucky police who entered wrong home, family says
Louisville police officers were looking for a suspect at the wrong home when they shot and killed Breonna Taylor, according to a lawsuit.
A woman was shot and killed in her Louisville, Kentucky, home by police executing a "botched' search warrant who forced their way in, surprising the woman and her boyfriend who thought the officers were burglars, her family says in a lawsuit.

The lawsuit — filed by the family of the woman, Breonna Taylor, an EMT worker — says she and her boyfriend thought they were being burglarized and he fired in self defense. The lawsuit accuses the three officers of "blindly firing" more than 20 shots into the apartment.

After the March 13 incident, the Louisville Metro Police Department said the officers had knocked on the door several times and “announced their presence as police who were there with a search warrant.” After forcing their way in, they “were immediately met by gunfire,” Lt. Ted Eidem said at a news conference.

Breonna Taylor was a qualified EMT. Family photo via NBC12
Taylor's death gained national attention this week after the family hired attorney Ben Crump, who is also representing the family of Ahmaud Arbery, the black man in Georgia who was killed on Feb. 23 after being pursued and shot by two white men. The two men are charged with murder and aggravated assault.

Taylor, 26, was shot eight times by police. Walker, 27, was arrested and charged with assault and attempted murder on a police officer. An attorney for Walker could not immediately be reached.

Crump called Taylor's death a "senseless killing."

"We stand with the family of this young woman in demanding answers from the Louisville Police Department," he said in a statement Monday on Twitter.

The attorney called out the police department for not providing "any answers regarding the facts and circumstances of how this tragedy occurred."

Attorney: Unarmed KY EMT was 'mutilated with bullets' by police
MAY 13, 202005:05
Records show that the police investigation was centered around a "trap house" more than 10 miles from Taylor's apartment, and that a judge had approved a "no-knock" search warrant, meaning officers did not have to identify themselves, according to The Courier-Journal.

The lawsuit states that Taylor and her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, were asleep in their bedroom when police in plainclothes and unmarked vehicles arrived at the house looking for a suspect who lived in a different part of the city and was already in police custody.

The three officers entered Taylor's home "without knocking and without announcing themselves as police officers," the suit states.

The lawsuit says Taylor and Walker woke up and thought criminals were breaking in. Walker called 911 and police said he opened fire and shot an officer.

Recommended

CORONAVIRUSWe analyzed more than 150 coronavirus deaths. Here's what we found.

HEALTH NEWSCoronavirus outbreak labeled a pandemic by World Health Organization
"The defendants then proceeded to spray gunfire into the residence with a total disregard for the value of human life," the lawsuit alleges. "Shots were blindly fired by the officers all throughout Breonna's home."

The suit states that Walker had a license to carry and kept firearms in the home, and that Taylor was unarmed.

Taylor and Walker had no criminal history or drug convictions. No drugs were found in the apartment.

Her address was listed on the search warrant based on police's belief that a drug suspect had used her home to receive mail, keep drugs or stash money. The warrant also states that a car registered to Taylor was seen parked on several occasions in front of a "drug house" known to the suspect.

Taylor's mother, Tamika Palmer, filed the lawsuit in April in Jefferson Circuit Court alleging wrongful death, excessive force and gross negligence.

Crump said during an interview on MSNBC that Taylor was "completely innocent" and went on to say that "black women's lives matter too." The attorney also called for the charges against Walker to be immediately dropped.

A police spokesperson had no comment this week because the investigation was still ongoing.

The officers, identified as Jonathan Mattingly, Brett Hankison and Myles Cosgrove, were reassigned pending the outcome of the investigation.

Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said on Twitter Tuesday, "As always, my priority is that the truth comes out, and for justice to follow the path of truth."

Minyvonne Burke
Minyvonne Burke is a breaking news reporter for NBC News.

by Taboola
Sponsored Stories

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ter-kentucky-police-entered-her-home-n1205651

danniegirl

It says her house was listed in the warrent ....this story is reading weird I need to read a different article ..cause right now I'm like WTF really went in in that house ......it says the boyfriend shot one how many of them was in before he started firing did he even fire first .....was it an instant someone is in here get your gun and start shooting thing or did something else go down ....

Jmartjrmd

It says her house was listed in the warrent ....this story is reading weird I need to read a different article ..cause right now I'm like WTF really went in in that house ......it says the boyfriend shot one how many of them was in before he started firing did he even fire first .....was it an instant someone is in here get your gun and start shooting thing or did something else go down ....
The article I read said they were looking for someone else on a drug warrant and had a warrant to search Breonna's apartment. However prior to them going to her place they had located the person they were looking for but decided to execute the warrant anyways.
That article said the boyfriend and the victim were asleep when they heard someone breaking in. The boyfriend grabbed his weapon which he possessed legally and shot at the intruders.
Neighbor statements say they( police)did not identify themselves prior to entering thus the reason the boyfriend believed they were burgulars.

Also said that PD does not wear body cameras so it is boyfriends word against the what the officers say and whatever they processed from the scene.

zi hope her family gets justice for her this one and Ahmaud just hurt my heart so much.

chocolat79

Can I just say that beyond this being absolutely terrible, that I feel this is absolute overkill doing all this because of drugs. Do they raid child molesters or rapists the same way? Yes, drugs are bad, etc. but it certainly doesn't warrant police officers raiding people's homes over or potentially killing innocents. The REAL drug dealers are not in low SES areas, whether legal or illegal drugs.

Jmartjrmd

Ok I saw some more info on court Tv.
Apparently they came to her place at 1am on a no knock warrent which is why they just busted in without identifying themselves.
They were there because they were doing surveillance on her place because they suspected the guy they picked up earlier was running a drug house and he had been seen going to her place and coming out with mail so they suspected she was receiving mail and or hiding drug money for him. There was a 2nd suspect whose car had been seen at her apartment. Apparently they'd been watching for a while.
However they found NOTHING.
Neither she or the boyfriend had a criminal record ( they love to throw it out there when they do) and he legally possessed his weapon. Prior to firing on the unidentified intruders the boyfriend called 911 to report the intruders in their home and then fired on them through the door. Officers returned fire striking Breonna 8 times murdering her.
I've never heard of a no.knock warrent and in this case it cost a beautiful young lady her life and a lifetime of pain for her boyfriend and her family.

yamilee21

Thanks for that update. I am just dreading the “investigation” that will inevitably clear these murderers. All this nonsense about cheering for essential workers, appreciating their efforts in the COVID-19 crisis... and this EMT is murdered in cold blood. :mad:

NijaG

How does a “no knock warrant”’at 1am make sense?

I guess black people are not suppose to have normal reactions (e.g thinking intruders are out to harm them, being startled from their sleep and reacting automatically, etc).

Honestly, I think they come up with this stuff to have a justifiable excuse to kill their targets and any “collateral victims” on the premises.

Kanky

The FBI has opened an investigation into the shooting death of Kentucky EMT Breonna Taylor
(CNN) — The FBI has opened an investigation into the shooting death of Breonna Taylor, an EMT who was killed after officers forced their way inside her home.

Robert Brown, special agent in charge for the FBI Louisville, issued a statement Thursday that said in part, "The FBI will collect all available facts and evidence and will ensure that the investigation is conducted in a fair, thorough and impartial manner."

As this is an ongoing investigation, Brown said they aren't able to comment further.

The news follows the Louisville Metro Police Department announcing that it would require all sworn officers to wear body cameras and change how the department carries out search warrants. They're the first steps toward improving police accountability, Mayor Greg Fischer said at a news conference, in which he repeatedly referred to Taylor's death as a "tragedy."

In March, Taylor was shot at least eight times when three officers forcibly entered her apartment to serve a search warrant in a narcotics investigation. The department said the men announced themselves and returned gunfire when Taylor's boyfriend fired at them.

But in a wrongful death lawsuit, Taylor's mother says the officers didn't knock at all and should have called off their search because the suspect they sought had already been arrested.

Officers didn't find drugs in her apartment when they entered, Taylor's mother said in the lawsuit.

Stricter no-knock warrants and required body cameras

Going forward, "no-knock warrants," which allow police to enter a residence without announcing themselves or their purpose, must be signed off on by a judge and the police chief or his designee before police can serve them, Fischer said at a news conference Monday. Previously, the warrant required only a judge's sign-off.

Miss_Luna

I came here to say that we women are also complicit in not bringing BW issues to the forefront. I appreciate that some men taking notice and giving it a platform.

I don't like to be confrontational on the internet, because I'm not that person, but to call the women on this site complicit when we are all going through the emotions of all of these events is very disturbing, to say the least.

None of us asked to be in this situation; we are all dealing with these events, life as we know it being changed due to a global pandemic, unemployment, illness, historical systemic and systematic racism and sexism. Fighting is necessary, but we are weary.

This site is a safe-space for us to vent and release. We are always fighting for our children and families and for the most part are at the forefront of the protests. I think we ALL can and should do more, but to call us complicit is an insult. About 75% of the social activists I follow on Twitter are Black women and they are always mentioning women like Breonna. Unfortunately, the following week we are praying for another Black person that was killed by police.

larry3344

I don't like to be confrontational on the internet, because I'm not that person, but to call the women on this site complicit when we are all going through the emotions of all of these events is very disturbing, to say the least.

None of us asked to be in this situation; we are all dealing with these events, life as we know it being changed due to a global pandemic, unemployment, illness, historical systemic and systematic racism and sexism. Fighting is necessary, but we are weary.

This site is a safe-space for us to vent and release. We are always fighting for our children and families and for the most part are at the forefront of the protests. I think we ALL can and should do more, but to call us complicit is an insult. About 75% of the social activists I follow on Twitter are Black women and they are always mentioning women like Breonna. Unfortunately, the following week we are praying for another Black person that was killed by police.
We women not necessarily on this site. Trust me there are a lot of women out there who place more importance in validating men and boys. We here understand the importance of validating girls as well but outside here it’s not the case for a Segment of the female pop.
I am pointing this out to bring attention to it not to blame anyone.

Alta Angel

Preface: I don't know how to post tweets!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/repost?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#repost</a> from Kentucky National Organization of Women. 6th and Jefferson in Louisville. This is a line of White people forming a barrier between Black protestors and the police. This is love. This is what you do with your privilege. <br>Photo credit: Tim Druck <a href="https://t.co/EaL7ab4ltQ">pic.twitter.com/EaL7ab4ltQ</a></p>&mdash; Tia A. Ewing (@TIA_EWING) <a href="">May 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

naturalgyrl5199

The story keeps changing.

They had the wrong house.

Now they want to pin her death on the boyfriend again saying they got a call about a domestic dispute and they went to see about it and he shot first so he shot them. But the 911 call that is available now (See Shaun King's IG...but be warned its heartbreaking) you hear him saying "someone" came in and shot his fiancé...then he spends most of the call weeping and asking her to wake up while the 911 operator keeps asking him where she was shot.

But they stopped "no knock" warrants last month weeks after this was released and there was an outcry, which led to HIS release from jail.

They are trying to figure out a way to remove responsibility from themselves. Who is the DA or prosecutor responsible? They need to fire, reprimand and relieve all of them from duty.

NijaG

Preface: I don't know how to post tweets!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/repost?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#repost</a> from Kentucky National Organization of Women. 6th and Jefferson in Louisville. This is a line of White people forming a barrier between Black protestors and the police. This is love. This is what you do with your privilege. <br>Photo credit: Tim Druck <a href="https://t.co/EaL7ab4ltQ">pic.twitter.com/EaL7ab4ltQ</a></p>&mdash; Tia A. Ewing (@TIA_EWING) <a href="">May 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great/Bravo....This is the kind of strategic thinking and planning social and justice leaders of the community need on a continuous. Use our allies “the brothers and sisters” to some of these devil souls to our advantage.