Brief update on my transition to natural

blackbarbie

January 27, 2009 marks the 2nd year in my transition and I haven't been on the board very much but just wanted to give a little update on how things are going on. I have been sticking with my plan of getting regular mini-trims every few months but in April of this year was when I got my first mini "chop". I think I did about 3-4 inches. It bought me to right at BSL after the mini chop. A few weeks ago, I thought I was ready to make the plunge and get all the relaxed ends off on January 27, 2009 until my brother/stylist told me I had about 6 more inches of relaxed ends :eek: and he reminded me where my natural hair would probably come if I were to cut the relaxed ends :nono:. (I would like my unstretched natural hair to come to shoulder length, but if I cut the relaxed ends, it would probably come to my chin)

The first pic was taken in September, 2008 and the 2nd pic was taken a year ago in November 2007 (you can see in my current pic that most of the color is gone; in the pic last year, you can still see a lot of the color. I hadn't really thought about it but I can also gauge how many more relaxed ends I have because I last got highlights 2 weeks after I got my last relaxer so all the color is on the relaxed ends.) The pic in my siggy was taken earlier this year in February. I may have cut about 6 inches off this year in total.

MODS: I am sorry about the size of the pics; I am in photobucket as we speak trying to figure out how to resize them. I had actually resized them twice and thought they would be appropriate. If I can't figure out how to resize them, I will transfer them to a photo album on here.....Sorry again - working on it.

Mystic

Haven't seen you in a while but all I can say is WOW!!! Your natural hair is absolutely gorgeous and so much better looking than your relaxed hair. Look at the shine! You are able to get it so straight..., what's your technique for straightening?

MrsLack

WOW! Your natural hair DOES look so much more silkier! 2 years is a great accomplishment. Do you mind sharing your technique on how you prevent breakage, and keeping the relaxed hair healthy in the process?

Great work! I can't wait to see if after you cut off the remaining ends! How much longer do you think until you reach your goal length?

blackbarbie

Hi Mystic!!!
I don't really have a straightening technique (LOL). I go to the salon and let them shampoo, blow dry and curl it with the flat iron, but I only get it straightened when I am going to get my ends clipped. Most of the time, I wear pulled back into a high (big and poofy) bun. I wash it every 3 or 4 days.

I can tell myself that my natural hair (when straightened) has more shine and feels fuller and thicker than my relaxed hair.

blackbarbie

lovely hair :love: how cool that your brother is your stylist? :)

It's not always cool:ohwell: because he only works 3 days a week and keeps a pretty full schedule of his regulars, so I can't always get in. It would be nice if I could schedule when I wanted to chop a little hair off, but I just do it in whims. He is the only one I will trust to trim my hair and so far, he has been the best at curling my hair with the flat iron (while flat ironing at the same time). Most other stylist want to flat iron, THEN go back and curl. :nono: Too much heat for me......

blackbarbie

WOW! Your natural hair DOES look so much more silkier! 2 years is a great accomplishment. Do you mind sharing your technique on how you prevent breakage, and keeping the relaxed hair healthy in the process?

Great work! I can't wait to see if after you cut off the remaining ends! How much longer do you think until you reach your goal length?

At first my biggest hurdle was detangling my hair, and early on in the process, after some serious detangling sessions in the shower:cry3:I seriously wondered if this was going to be something I could do. After about 6 months, even with the difference in the 2 textures, I figured the key to detangling in the shower was lots of conditioner and TAKNG MY TIME.

For about the first year and a half, if I wanted my hair straight, I would never let a stylist fully blow dry my hair, I always got rollersets and let them flat iron the roots. Finally about 6 months ago, one stylist I went to told me I had too much NG to be flat ironing that she had blow dry all of it. I have always been afraid of blow drying.

I usually just co-wash every few days and leave a little conditioner in my hair and slather it with coconut oil. In between washes, I don't comb, I just take down nightly, massage my scalp with coconut/castor oil, condition with NTM Silk Therapy, and tie my hair back down. Most days you will find me with my big poofy bun though! I think the secret is low manipulation.

Ronda123

Okay, you have inspired me to once again try to transition for 2 years without the BC. Your hair looks great!!!

blackbarbie

Okay, you have inspired me to once again try to transition for 2 years without the BC. Your hair looks great!!!

You can do it!!! There is certainly enough info here on the board that will get you past each and every hurdle you may come across during your transition (except of course someone to personally come to your house and detangle your hair for you!)

Good luck to you!

BB

Tee

Hey BB! I missed you. Your hair is beautiful at any length. Congrats on your successful transition.

blackbarbie

Hey BB! I missed you. Your hair is beautiful at any length. Congrats on your successful transition.

:wave:Hey Tee!!!
Forget about my hair, let's talk about yours!!! It is absolutely beautimus!!! You are just about at WL and I am loving the bling you have going on! What's your secret? It looks really good!

BB

TaurusAngel

Glad to have you back. I knew i hadn't seen you around. Glad your transition is going well. Your hair looks amazing!!

Eisani

Thank you for posting! This is definitely an inspiration to those of us transitioning w/o the BC!

onejamifan

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous :drunk:. Really inspiring!!! It is so full and bouncy you should be doing commercials for hair care products!!!

DaRealist

Thank you for sharing!
Definitely an inspiration for those of us transitioning for the long haul like you.
Your hair looks so shiny and pretty!

blackbarbie

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if you were still transitioning. Great hair as always.

I noticed that a lot of people have changed names since I was last here, but I am trying to recognize you from your head (LOL) but that's not possible b/c I see you just did a BC, which by the way is beautiful!!!

blackbarbie

Thank you for sharing!
Definitely an inspiration for those of us transitioning for the long haul like you.
Your hair looks so shiny and pretty!

Good luck on your transition! I see it has almost been 4 months! I also see you have some relaxer for sale; hope you sell it fast so you won't be tempted!!