Bringing on the Heat! Where are the pros?

OsnapCnapp!

Hey everyone,

Well I have decided that I am going to straighten my hair (blow-dry and flat iron) in order to get rid of these split ends that the tangle teezer has caused! But I have NO tools or products or regimen for heat and I needed just some quick tips and answers to a few questions. Ok, here goes:

Tools
:
Flat-iron--I don't own one and I can't afford one that's above 39.99 :perplexed. I need help with that!

Blow-dryer
--Same as above. My mom has one of those old black vidal sassoon dryers with the comb attachment but that's about it. I need help with that as well.

Products
:
Right now all I have is the IC Fantasia Heat Protecting serum. I went to Sally's to see if they had the spray but they don't have it. I kind of want to get the spray to go with it to be consistent with the products and use it as a heat protecting moisture base with the serum being kind of like a sealant. Any other product suggestions or reviews of this product are welcome and encouraged!

Regimen:
Do you ladies have any particular pre-heat regimen? I have seen some ppl do a
1)wash, co-wash, and DC
2) a wash, protein treatment, DC
3) wash, hot oil treatment, DC
4) wash, oil rinse, co-wash, DC
Im not sure as to what I should do before I use heat????

I would like for it to be a nice, sleek blow-dry and flat iron job but I am on a budget. Just wondering if any of you heat gurus could help a sister out!!! Thanks is advance!

SVT

You didn't want to try a search-n-destroy? I would think the heat from blow drying and flatironing would do more damage.

OsnapCnapp!

You didn't want to try a search-n-destroy? I would think the heat from blow drying and flatironing would do more damage.

Hey there! Yeah I tried for about 4 hours to find ALL the split ends and it has become impossible and the fact that I haven't had a trim in a year doesn't help. And you are right, nothing is worse than heat and I fear it but its a last resort because Im not doing a very good job of finding them and clipping......at all.

SVT

Ok, I understand your frustration.

I break LHCF laws because I don't use a heat protectant :look: but I do suggest you use protein treatments before flatironiong. I like Aubrey GPB. It's my baby-daddy. :lol:

In the past, I've used Aphogee (the one that hardens onto the air) and had no issues. I just didn't like the smell.

OsnapCnapp!

Ok, I understand your frustration.

I break LHCF laws because I don't use a heat protectant :look: but I do suggest you use protein treatments before flatironiong. I like Aubrey GPB. It's my baby-daddy. :lol:

In the past, I've used Aphogee (the one that hardens onto the air) and had no issues. I just didn't like the smell.

That sounds good! I was just at the Vitamin Shoppe 30 mins ago too and I saw Aubrey GPB! Dang it! Im going to have to make another trip tomorrow anyway so guess I better suck it up.

curlycrocheter

I use heat regularly. I usually do a moisture dc before hand and a protein dc once I wash my hair. Or vice versa.

Conair has good quality heat tools IMO. That's what I always used before I discovered the Maxiglide. As far as heat protectant goes; I have no loyalty. I've used the Fantasia, I've used John Frieda Full Repair, right now I'm using Got2Be flatiron and blowdry lotion. See Siggy pic for results

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I haven't been successful in straitening my hair at all. I am going to be looking at you tube videos for inspiration.:ohwell:

RoseGolden

Hi! I'm natural (heat trained) and I flat iron every two weeks so I've gotten pretty good at it. I'll try and share what I have learned.

I wouldn't get the fantasia heat protectant spray if you already have the serum. The spray and serum are pretty much the exact same thing in different forms. I've used the serum forever, its great. You should be fine with that alone. If you OD on the heat protectant your hair will come out greasy and you don't want that.

My hair comes out best when I:

1) Prepoo/oil treatment with coconut oil
2) Shampoo
3) Moisturizing DC
4) Light leave in and heat protectant serum
5) Blow dry on medium in sections
6) Another light application of serum
7) Flat iron

That's the process I've been using for a while and my hair comes out great every time. As far as flat irons, I would look into the Andis brand. I heard they're pretty decent for the price range. I hope that helped! Good luck.

ETA: There's a few pics in my profile of what my hair looks like straightened.

BeautyGoesDutch

Hello,

I am heat trained and I use all Aphogee products because it helps with damaged hair, even tho I do not have damaged I use the products just in case. Also hot oil treatments aren't really good for you it's like frying your hair my hair consultation told me that and she is very good. That was a sidebar.

My mom presses my hair she has it down to an art. I she presses my hair with shea butter and my hair is not heavy or greasy.

Before you use heat I always deep condish my hair and Always use a heat serum. Also Every Six weeks I use Aphogee Hard Protein treatment which I love love love. Hope there is something I can do to help.

hothair

The main thing is to give ur hair a very good moisturising DC

- I DC overnight with anything from Skala to Nexxus Humectress (lustrasilk argan cholesterol is good and cheap).
- I then shampoo the next day, and apply any conditioner for about 5-10mins rinse,
-while wet/damp I apply my leave-ins and protectant serum.
-I either airdry in 3 plaits or blowdry on low using the tension method.
- I section my hair in 3 and start flat ironing in small sections using a flatiron comb (search chasing method on youtube for alternatives). That's it

OsnapCnapp!

The main thing is to give ur hair a very good moisturising DC

- I DC overnight with anything from Skala to Nexxus Humectress (lustrasilk argan cholesterol is good and cheap).
- I then shampoo the next day, and apply any conditioner for about 5-10mins rinse,
-while wet/damp I apply my leave-ins and protectant serum.
-I either airdry in 3 plaits or blowdry on low using the tension method.
- I section my hair in 3 and start flat ironing in small sections using a flatiron comb (search chasing method on youtube for alternatives). That's it

Oh yes I have been up and down youtube, lol. I saw good results from the tension method for blow-dry followed by the comb-chase method for flat ironing. I also saw that it is good to blowdry in different angles as well. Some ppl do the blow dry tension with a brush and some just pull the hair down. I use heat once out of the year if needed (in 2009 I didn't use heat at all!) so I might use the brush, just depends.

all_1_length

Hello,

I am heat trained and I use all Aphogee products because it helps with damaged hair, even tho I do not have damaged I use the products just in case. Also hot oil treatments aren't really good for you it's like frying your hair my hair consultation told me that and she is very good. That was a sidebar.

My mom presses my hair she has it down to an art. I she presses my hair with shea butter and my hair is not heavy or greasy.

Before you use heat I always deep condish my hair and Always use a heat serum. Also Every Six weeks I use Aphogee Hard Protein treatment which I love love love. Hope there is something I can do to help.

How does she press with shea butter?

BeautyGoesDutch

How does she press with shea butter?

She takes the African Shea butter about a flat quarter size mixes it with Chi Organic Silk Oil. Rubs it through my blow dried hair and she starts to press my hair. With other stuff she had to keep putting on each section which was wasting alot of product and my hair was reverting back quicker . But today it got 102 and my hair stayed with no curl whatsoever.

P:S She press and Flat Iron my hair at the same time. I can see If I can Up Load some pics of myhair.

ScorpioBeauty09

I'm a straightened natural but I don't do it myself. I wash, DC and blow dry and then have my stylist flat iron and it's his specialty so he does a really good job. Anyway, I always DC and apply a heat protectant before I blow dry. I usually use Fantasia Heat Protector Straightening Spray and I love it, but I used CHI Silk Infusions my last 2 wash days and it's been fine.

OsnapCnapp!

Thank u ladies for u replies, but check this out:

Today I decided to do a DC right so first I did an oil rinse with evoo. Then after rinsing it out, I had this stupid stupid idea to mix some things together for a DC. Here's the list:

aussie moist conditioner
con moisture extreme conditioner
coconut oil
shealoe
molasses

After putting that on and rinsing it out, my hair felt so weird. The ends were crunchy like water was running away from hair and not into it. My moisturizing spray didn't even soak into my hair after that. Something in that mix totally depleted the moisture in my hair! As I was doing my hair (put in twists for a little bit) and the ends were soaked in moisturizer they were still falling to the ground. Scary az site! Im usually low manipulation so Im not too down with this. Does this mean I should do a protein treatment one week and wait the following week to do a wash and DC for my flat iron?

See this is why all I do is spritz and seal my dang head. Im not good with regimens!

keelioness

Hi! I'm natural (heat trained) and I flat iron every two weeks so I've gotten pretty good at it. I'll try and share what I have learned.

I wouldn't get the fantasia heat protectant spray if you already have the serum. The spray and serum are pretty much the exact same thing in different forms. I've used the serum forever, its great. You should be fine with that alone. If you OD on the heat protectant your hair will come out greasy and you don't want that.

My hair comes out best when I:

1) Prepoo/oil treatment with coconut oil
2) Shampoo
3) Moisturizing DC
4) Light leave in and heat protectant serum
5) Blow dry on medium in sections
6) Another light application of serum
7) Flat iron

That's the process I've been using for a while and my hair comes out great every time. As far as flat irons, I would look into the Andis brand. I heard they're pretty decent for the price range. I hope that helped! Good luck.

ETA: There's a few pics in my profile of what my hair looks like straightened.

Thanx for posting this..heat training gets a bad rap. Ur hair is awesome in your album.:drunk: What type of blowdryer to you use?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Tools
:
Flat-iron--Chi Original Flat Iron 1-inch
Blow-dryer--Andis Ceramic Ionic Styler Hair Dryer

Products:
Blowdry hair in sections with Mane N Tail Condtioner
Flat-iron hair in sections with Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres

My Heat Regimen:
1) Wash with Mane N Tail Shampoo in four sections
2) Treat with Aphogee Keratin 2 Min
3) Condition with Aussie Moist Conditioner and Hot Six Oil

almondjoi85

I would just go and get a rollerset, do not allow them to trim your hair. Go home and then do a seek and destroy yourself. I wouldn't start using heat to get rid of split ends... sounds backwards.