Broken Hairline hairs

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
So I was looking at my hair today, my hairline in particular and I noticed it looked peasy and thin... I pulled my hairs up and noticed that they are short and broken off. the hairs are between 1-4 inches in some places going back about 1 inch into my hairline in the front. I think this is because I've been putting my hair into ponytails, using gel, and brushing it to lay it down. Please give me some suggestions on what I can do about this? TIA

Note: My last relaxer was in October, so I have to do something to lay my edges down and I was trying to avoid heat.

damarc94

This is happening to me too :crying3:. I'm due for a relaxer, but I'm afraid to do more damage when I don't know what I'm doing wrong....

I hope someone chimes in with an answer soon :sad:

bellesocialite

I'm having the same problem. I noticed that the elastic on my bonnet was the culprit. -sigh- It seems there's always something going wrong with my hair. I'm sticking to strictly scarves from now on.

prospurr4

I'm having the same problem. I noticed that the elastic on my bonnet was the culprit. -sigh- It seems there's always something going wrong with my hair. I'm sticking to strictly scarves from now on.

If you want to continue wearing the bonnet, just turn it inside out. That way, the actual elastic is on the outside of the bonnet, away from your edges.

prospurr4

So I was looking at my hair today, my hairline in particular and I noticed it looked peasy and thin... I pulled my hairs up and noticed that they are short and broken off. the hairs are between 1-4 inches in some places going back about 1 inch into my hairline in the front. I think this is because I've been putting my hair into ponytails, using gel, and brushing it to lay it down. Please give me some suggestions on what I can do about this? TIA

Note: My last relaxer was in October, so I have to do something to lay my edges down and I was trying to avoid heat.

I never use gels or brushes on my edges. Before bedtime, I gently apply some castor oil and water to my edges, then tie down with a scarf. In the morning, my edges are laying down beautifully...I don't even have to touch them. Consequently, this lack of manipulation allows my edges/hairline to be thick and full.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I never use gels or brushes on my edges. Before bedtime, I gently apply some castor oil and water to my edges, then tie down with a scarf. In the morning, my edges are laying down beautifully...I don't even have to touch them. Consequently, this lack of manipulation allows my edges/hairline to be thick and full.
Thank you so much!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
It may not be that your hairline strands are broken... they could just have a shorter growing cycle than the rest of your hair strands. Just like your eyebrows and eyelashes and fuzzy facial hair does not grow long lengths, this could be the same for your hairline. ;)

Cayenne0622

I was going to suggest something similar in laying down your edges. If you gel, make sure its a non alcohol based gel like Fantasia IC. You can even use men's wave pommade. Just smooth it on with your fingers and maybe lightly brush with a soft toothbrush for smoothness and tie down with a scarf. I do this when I'm getting ready to go out as well. I'll leave the scarf tying down my edges until the last minute and then take it off. My hair is smooth and shiney. The castor oil suggestion is the best. It makes my hair soooooooooo soft and smooth.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I was going to suggest something similar in laying down your edges. If you gel, make sure its a non alcohol based gel like Fantasia IC. You can even use men's wave pommade. Just smooth it on with your fingers and maybe lightly brush with a soft toothbrush for smoothness and tie down with a scarf. I do this when I'm getting ready to go out as well. I'll leave the scarf tying down my edges until the last minute and then take it off. My hair is smooth and shiney. The castor oil suggestion is the best. It makes my hair soooooooooo soft and smooth.
I do use the fantasia gel, the clear one and I just started using the blue one. About castor oil, I have one by African Angel. I was hearing how good the Jamaican Black brand is... is that the brand you two ladies use?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
It may not be that your hairline strands are broken... they could just have a shorter growing cycle than the rest of your hair strands. Just like your eyebrows and eyelashes and fuzzy facial hair does not grow long lengths, this could be the same for your hairline. ;)
You may be right... and the reason why I'm noticing them is because they're not straight anymore (like with relaxers). I do know for sure though that the shortest of the hairs are not normal for me though. I'm going to baby my edges and see what happens.

daniemoy

If you want to continue wearing the bonnet, just turn it inside out. That way, the actual elastic is on the outside of the bonnet, away from your edges.

Pure genius!! I was just thinking this bonnet may make my edges look horrible..Don't know why I didn't think of this!!

shunta

I have this same problem and I dont know what's causing it. Im seriously considering transitioning because Im so tired of all my breakage.:sad:

Last edited:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I have this same problem and I dont know what's causing. Im seriously considering transitioning because Im so tired of all my breakage.:sad:
You know what, I was considering transitioning. My last perm was in October, but with my hair like this, I'm thinking of not transitioning. I think I'm calling my stylist to make an appointment for next week to get my relaxer.