Brush chase method

iLurk

gonna try it the next time i attempt to straighten. if it works im done forever with my stylist.

Lylddlebit

I used to. I find that when I have damage it smooths it out better until I am ready to cut. I used to use a round brush.

ETA: the round brush is boar bristle.

Last edited:

Egyptjones

I think any boar bristle brush would work for this. They give you the most shine and don't break your hair. I work with small sections so I don't find that I lose any additional hair.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
This is my preferred method as well. For my hair, the brush does a better job of smoothing and provides more tension than a small tooth comb.

As long as your hair is well detangled and moisturized with deep conditioning beforehand, you shouldn't lose any more hairs than you normally would.

Like someone stated already, any boar bristle brush will do as long as the bristles are soft. One tip to get the bristles even softer is to wash the bristles with shampoo, then soak them in a mixture of water & your best moisturizing conditioner overnight. The bristles only, not the entire brush so you can soak them on a plate. Rinse well. Dry thoroughly. I do this each time before I straighten and my bristles are baby soft. Also only use this designated brush to straighten...not on your edges, ponytails, buns etc. You wanna avoid wear and tear as well as product buildup on the brush.

missyrayne19

I want to... but I'm scared. Every person I've seen who uses this method always seems to get really nice results. But every time I imagine using a brush on my hair instead of a comb, I instantly think my hair will go snap, crackle, pop :look:

chelleyrock

I did this two weeks ago. It really does get the hair silky smooth. I like this way better than the comb chase method because I get a better grip with the brush.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I flat ironed DD's hair this morning using the Beautique Professional Thermal Straightening Brush and got the BEST results I've ever gotten on her ends. And she lost no hair in the brush. This is a keeper as long as I don't see any damage. Thanks SO MUCH H0tPinkButtafly for posting this!

Supervixen

I tried this after reading here. I did a ponytail rollerset and brush chase. My hair was so light and fluffy! I usually do the comb/denman chase method. Excellent addition to my flatiron regimen!

Last edited:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I used to use this method and I prefer it over the comb. I never had raggedy looking ends

Ivonnovi

I use my when blow drying I chase my fingers, I find this easier and the results just as good.

I've used both a comb and 2 types of brushes to "lead" my flatiorn. I prefer the brushes to the comb as they detangle with less snags (IMHO).

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I want to buy the denman straightening brush to try this

That's what I want too, but I bought what I could get my hands on at Sally to try right away. Now that I think this method is a hit, I'll probably order the Denman.