Brushing - Bad for the Hair or Not?

Nyambura

surfer girl
I've come across this information from various sources: brushing is bad for the hair. Is this true?

I have a super-soft all natural boar bristle brush that smooths the hair (I don't use it for detangling). However, I don't want to damage my hair.

TIA

Tracy

Most of the sources I've seen who assert this view (and I agree with it) seem to feel that smoothing a style into place, gently with a soft brush is fine. It's the 100 strokes a day myth that's being dispelled here IMO.

I was confused about this for a while too and then I re-read a few things and this was the conclusion I came to. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HTH

adrienne0914

i agree with this. the only thing i use a brush for is to smooth my edges down for the bun. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

hairfanatic

Hi Nyambura,

I think it depends on the strength of a person's hair. When I was younger, my mother used to just put water on my hair and brush. Now that I am older, my hair can't take constant brushing. I don't dare brush with a heavy brush. I brush right before I get ready to wash my hair with a wig brush. During the week, I smooth my hairline with Gel and my fingers.

Elyse

<font color="#666666">
I brush my hair at the crown area to smooth down flyaways. I too use a soft natural bristle brush. I never brush through the length of my hair becaue I do believe that it is damaging in the long term /images/graemlins/frown.gif. </font color>

i agree with hairfrantic. my hair especially after 4 weeks can not handle a brush. i only finger comb and use a wide tooth comb. it just depends on the hair type and strenth you have. for my hair the less manipulation the better

Boadicea

I get more damage smoothing my hair down for a bun than I do with 100 strokes.

I usually only brush my hair the first few weeks after a relaxer, using Amla oil.

If your hair is relaxed, the safest brush you can use is a paddle brush, if you want to brush out your length. Comb your hair first, add a light (easily absorbed) oil and then brush your hair.

CocoaCure

The only time I brush (and it's with a super soft Boar bristle brush) is when I'm wrapping it. Otherwise, I just smooth my "baby hair" down with my fingers and it stays then just comb the rest back into the bun.

jrw

I don't brush my hair unless I have put oil in my hair and detangled it. I brush once or twice a day, usually in the morning and sometimes at night. I use a porcupine brush that is combination boar bristle and plastic bristles. I do agree that a person should brush their hair too much. 100 strokes is definitely too much. I also agree that it depends on how strong the person's hair is and finding the right brush that is gentle on the hair.

BlackMarilyn

i've stopped brushing months now. my sis stopped a few months before me and her hair has grown significantly. she got bra strap length or maybe more.

Victorian

old head
I brush. I like my boar bristle brush. I can't get my hair to lay down right without some sort of brushing

InsertCleverNameHere

I brush and I love brushes! I use them to put my hair in a bun, and I just use a regular old brush (the kind that costs about a 1.50 at Walmart). I also like the brushes with the big bristles and use those as well when my hair is straight. It feels good on my scalp

joyous

I've decided to stop brushing and see if there is a big difference. Right now I only brush once a day with a soft brush. I always spray the bristles with a light oil before using this helps it glide through easily.