BSL/MBL 2015 Challenge

bronxsoloist

It has been quite some time since I've been on here and there have been plenty ups and downs. My last memorable post was on my birthday about a year ago. I treated myself to a luxurious blow out that had me looking silky smooth. I loved it, too much in fact. That one blow out flat iron completely unhindered all reservations I had about straightening my hair with heat.

I proceeded to use heat sporadically in my styling. My hair does not like heat, I never learn. I didn't damage my hair but I didn't retain as much as I'd like.

This revelation didn't hit me until 2 months ago. At the end of August I decided I was going to consistently protective style like I use to, but still use heat to stretch. It wasn't until I saw broken pieces of my dark hair on that bright floor. The braider was not to blame, I was.

My goal from that moment was to seriously take care of my hair. After seeing a little length I got comfortable. I haven't hit waist so let me reel it in a little.

My braid take down was great. My type 2a wife loves to take out my cornrows, and she does so with diligent ease. Very little shed. I had a friend box braid them up for the month of October. Yet of course as a length addict I wanted a quick length check. August was my realization so I wasn't too enthusiastic about that length check. But I figure it's been 2 months, let me take a gander.

After a 1 second debate my little braid was down and I was giving my wife her phone. I've attached a photo. Nothing serious. Not many angles. I'll save that for wash day. But this is my longest layer. My shortest is the front which is APL

Attachments

• 2015-10-29 18.29.28.png
    2015-10-29 18.29.28.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 87

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I think my lazy streak is over. I have been avoiding wash day, but I think I will do a scalp precleanse (Silk Elements) and then clarify with Suave shampoo. Afterwards I can try my new Biotera Weightless Shine mask for 3 minutes. Once my hair is partially dry I will rebraid it and call it a night. I am probably going to be wigging it until Thanksgiving or Christmas.

faithVA

My hair is longer in the back than the front. It's like my front was chewed up & chopped. I want to wear my natural hair pressed & flat ironed for the holidays maybe then I can get some of it cut & start figuring out how to get the front to catch up to the back.
It's coming to have different areas grow at different rates and different times. Just by sticking to your regimen your front will likely start its growth phase and start to catch up while your back stays on hold for a bit.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I finally washed my hair. I did a scalp treatment first and then lathered twice with Suave clarifying poo. I used a lot of Biotera conditioner because my hair felt stripped. After I towel dried my hair I took my braids down one at a time and detangled to remove shed hair. Next, I put some Sleek and shine cream on each section and rebraided it.

My scalp feels much better and my hair smells nice. I didn't lose a lot of hair detangling so that's a win for me. I think the liquid gold oil is lengthening my growth phase.

ClassyJSP

Wow I haven't washed my hair since oct 13th... hopefully I have some time one day this week to wash it I kinda doubt it tho since i'm unpacking and working at a different site the entire week.

bronxsoloist

Another successful wash day.
I took my braids out Oct 30 for Halloween and Rocked the cutest braid out in my My Little Pony costume.

I vowed not to go more than 2 days with it out, and I kept to it thankfully.

My hair was already very oily from some oil saturation I did a few days before, so I opted out of the pre poo and instead sectioned into 3 ,light detangle, with vo5.

The Next day in 2 sections I did an ACV rinse. ACV + peppermint and T tree oil+ h2o.
After rinsing out I added hot conditioner in 4 sections. Vo5+ homemade Shea creme mix +clay + h20 + microwave
I let that sit for 5 minutes in 4 braids. Then lightly rinsed out while in braids.

I'm hoping that it will only take 1 day to airdry so I can get my usual box braids and go on about my business.

bronxsoloist

I finally washed my hair. I did a scalp treatment first and then lathered twice with Suave clarifying poo. I used a lot of Biotera conditioner because my hair felt stripped. After I towel dried my hair I took my braids down one at a time and detangled to remove shed hair. Next, I put some Sleek and shine cream on each section and rebraided it.

My scalp feels much better and my hair smells nice. I didn't lose a lot of hair detangling so that's a win for me. I think the liquid gold oil is lengthening my growth phase.

What does your scalp treatment consist of, and what is the purpose for yours?
I did a green rinse on my scalp, but I just experimenting.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am on day 3 of inversions. I used liquid gold oil today. I alternate with that and mn/peppermint oil. I also oiled my ends with aceite 3 (oil blend with evoo, castor and almond). Now I am wearing a full head baggy underneath a beanie. Between the growth aids and inversion method I should definitely retain an inch by the end of the year. I am still taking my hsn vitamins and doing a very low manipulation regimen.

How is everyone doing?

quirkydimples

I'm getting the itch to cut. I'm looking at my tattered ends and the shorter nape and crown area and thinking, "It might be time for a bob."

But then I fluff my hair out and realize it's longer than it's ever been before. I'm APL, inching toward BSL, but my nape and the middle part of my hair is SL and it irks me. My hair is rarely down (which may be the problem, actually) so it's not noticeable, but I know...

fifigirl

I haven't posted in over a month! Well, let me confess, i cut my hair....was tired of seeing the scraggly relaxed ends and was in love with my texlaxed ends so i sat down on a sunday and took my scissors, scrutinised my ends and snipped about 4 inches off my hair in some areas. I am completely happy with my hair now as it is thicker now, however i need to grow it., so i joined Waist length 2017! Hopefully it will be an easy journey as i understand my hair now! In the mean time just a few pics

Attachments

• BEFORE CUT.JPG
    BEFORE CUT.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CUT HAIR.JPG
    CUT HAIR.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 55

quirkydimples

Lol not at all. Please don't cut it. If anything dust your ends on a beneficial trim day (Morrocco Method). I usually only take off 1/2 inch or less.
I just looked up the Morrocco Method and it looks like the next beneficial day is Dec. 21 or 22. It'll be past time for a relaxer by then, but I'll stretch a little, relax and trim. Thanks for the suggestion and for talking me off the ledge because I was all over Pinterest looking at pictures of bobs.

Update: I was looking at my hair and thinking about my next relaxer when it dawned on me...I changed relaxers! The last three times or so I used something from Sally's (Silk Elements) instead of ordering Linange online!

Last edited:

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
Have been alternating between wet buns and goodess twists as a protective style this quarter. Love them because they are quick, easy, and I'm able to get to my hair easily throughout the week PLUS I still feel cute. Anxious to see whether I've retained the same amount of hair without my hardcore protective styling (box braids, faux locs, ect) and my lack of scalp massages, inversions, protein and green smoothies. Will find out on my last flat iron for the year in a few weeks. Fingers crossed for BSL.

Also I've been adding a cowash mid week. My hair has benefited tremendously in terms of moisture. My curls are popping and I get less and less shrinkage. I thought I was 4a/4b but its looking more and more like 4a/3c as my moisture levels improve and it gets longer.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm doing a full head baggy with aloe juice, peppermint oil and mn on my scalp. I am going to start measuring my hair with a tape measure once a month to monitor growth/retention. I was going to lighten a few areas, but this seems a little healthier.

fifigirl

I'm doing a full head baggy with aloe juice, peppermint oil and mn on my scalp. I am going to start measuring my hair with a tape measure once a month to monitor growth/retention. I was going to lighten a few areas, but this seems a little healthier.

Your mix sounds exciting....have you baggied with this before? What proportions are you using?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Your mix sounds exciting....have you baggied with this before? What proportions are you using?
I've been using this mix for a couple months. I put 6oz aloe vera juice, 1/2 tube mn and about 15 drops of peppermint oil. It makes my scalp feel so refreshed! I use this mix twice a week and I use Liquid Gold twice a week. It has to be refrigerated because of the aloe.

fifigirl

I've been using this mix for a couple months. I put 6oz aloe vera juice, 1/2 tube mn and about 15 drops of peppermint oil. It makes my scalp feel so refreshed! I use this mix twice a week and I use Liquid Gold twice a week. It has to be refrigerated because of the aloe.

Thanks dear! It really sounds so refreshing.....will definitely try this and i have all the ingredients