BSL/MBL 2015 Challenge

ilong

God's Own
I haven't posted in over a month! Well, let me confess, i cut my hair....was tired of seeing the scraggly relaxed ends and was in love with my texlaxed ends so i sat down on a sunday and took my scissors, scrutinised my ends and snipped about 4 inches off my hair in some areas. I am completely happy with my hair now as it is thicker now, however i need to grow it., so i joined Waist length 2017! Hopefully it will be an easy journey as i understand my hair now! In the mean time just a few pics
Your trimmed hair looks great! Thank you for sharing your pics!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I made a discovery about the damage I was doing when twisting my hair. I was twirling the ends at the end of my twists. I must have been too rough when twisting because the ends were breaking. I guess too much manipulation. Anyway, I stopped twirling. I started making a loose "knot" at the ends, like a pretzel; emphasis on "loose".

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
@Cattypus I wear twists all the time...not sure if they've done damage. I never twirl, but I do twist to the end. Another member here (@Duchess007) used this technique on her twists and she said her ends were better for it. Can you explain how you do the knot?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@Cattypus I wear twists all the time...not sure if they've done damage. I never twirl, but I do twist to the end. Another member here (@Duchess007) used this technique on her twists and she said her ends were better for it. Can you explain how you do the knot?
Its actually the very thing that causes us curlies pain but instead of a single strand, it's the group of strands in the twist. I loop it around once and push the end through. The moisture makes it continue the curl. Once it dries, even before I'm ready to take the twists out, I rub a little super skinny on my finger tips and gently undo the "knots". It works best if your hair is fairly even and I usually rewet the ends with water and whatever styler I'm using before making the knot. A word of caution-a too tight knot will require a METAL conditioner for removal.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I massaged my scalp with liquid gold oil and baggied for a few hours. I used sulfur oil on dd today too. I'm only going to use it on her once a week.

My scalp is itching a bit, but wash day isn't until Sunday. I just gotta wait it out.

snoop

In Friday night I started taking down my mini twists. Stayed up until midnight and finished just under half my head. I was so busted yesterday that I went to sleep before the kids last night. We're going out this morning and so I'm trying to decide if I should get up early to finish or just wrap my head for the day with a nice scarf?

I lovetaking down twists because I realize just how moisturized my hair is. Let's me know that I've been doing something right even though it may not feel or look it with the twists in.

I've been using Komaza's protein treatment and on this takedown i can feel the difference in my hair. My hair does feel stronger and i think the breakage is less. I still get some mechanical damage from finger detangling just because I wash and my twists get a little webbed, but even that seemed reduced. I'm hoping that by next year I will noticed increased retention due to using protein treatments.

Silly question, but when is Black Friday this year? Our Thanksgiving was last month and stores up here have already started with their pre/Black Friday sales so I've not been able to figure it out (and I'm too lazy to Google it:look:)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Its actually the very thing that causes us curlies pain but instead of a single strand, it's the group of strands in the twist. I loop it around once and push the end through. The moisture makes it continue the curl. Once it dries, even before I'm ready to take the twists out, I rub a little super skinny on my finger tips and gently undo the "knots". It works best if your hair is fairly even and I usually rewet the ends with water and whatever styler I'm using before making the knot. A word of caution-a too tight knot will require a METAL conditioner for removal.

@Cattypus1 Thanks. I'm going to try this today. So make a little circle at the end of the twist and put the end through. Will this work if I keep my hair in the twists and do not take them out until the next week?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@Cattypus1 Thanks. I'm going to try this today. So make a little circle at the end of the twist and put the end through. Will this work if I keep my hair in the twists and do not take them out until the next week?
Yes, but I wouldn't leave the loop in for that long. I usually take the loop out once it's dry but I leave the twists. Don't pull the loop too tight either, just enough so that it stays until dry. Good luck, let me know how it works for you.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I washed my hair this morning with Cream of Nature detangling shampoo and used Kerastase Fondant Nutri Thermique. Once it's fully dry I can detangle and braid it back up.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
@Prettymetty I'm with you. I gotta get this fitness thing right! I have been wanting a proper stepper (step aerobics) for a long time but I couldn't see laying out $80+ for it. I just so happen to pop in Goodwill on Friday and they had a nearly new TransFirmer stepper from The Firm, exactly the one I wanted with both pieces, for $10! I got online and the cheapest it's still selling for used is $70! Jackpot!

I found the starter, beginner, intermediate, and advanced rotation calendars online, and YT has one of the full CDs posted that came with it. Amazon has the other 2 CDs for $4 each. I'm ready!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Ladies should I straighten and trim on the 16th of December (lengthening day) or 21st during the Winter Solstice (root work)?

If I do it on the 16th I will be able to straighten again on Dec 30th in time for length checks.

FollicleFanatic

@Prettymetty please tag me when you start the challenge.

I've realized the hair I usually pull on for a length check grows the fastest and the rest plays catch up. For the longest I thought only one section of my hair had good growth lol. Now I know I need more time once I've hit a certain length to allow time for the hemline to follow.

Took a couple pull LC pics but I can seem to load them :drunk:
I'll try again before the year is up.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I washed my hair this morning with Cream of Nature shampoo and used Loreal Damage Erasing balm afterwards. Now that my hair is fully dried I can detangle, moisturize and rebraid.

FollicleFanatic

I'm finally getting my hair braided on Wed! :toocool:

So tired of trying ways to flat twist my hair as flat as possible under my wigs. The longest I kept them in was 3 weeks but I want to not manipulate my hair for at least 6-7 wks, maybe more.

Looking forward to being really hair lazy:D