Bsl/mbl 2018 Challenge!!

Alma Petra

Thank you!! I wear my hair blown and ironed straight most of the time. When my roots start to frizz, I roll it for a couple days to make it last longer. Those rollers are the business. No breakage, no pain, and they create beautiful waves or curls depending on how you roll.
I'll definitely look into buying some of these rollers. It's a blessing to be able to sleep in one's rollers

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Why @YvetteWithJoy I thought you were managing well?

I feel like with all I've learned about hair care due to having gone natural, I could spend 1/20 of the time I currently spend on my hair if it were straight.

My natural hair's density creates the time sink: Everything must be applied in sections. Everything must be done in sections. I put in 3 hours yesterday, and it didn't dry in 12 hours. So it's a little misshapen today. That's frustrating.

I'm trying to hold on until my hair is long enough to put into one french braid.

Alma Petra

I am so tempted to relax my hair right now.

I know I won't do it, but I'm very, very tempted.
I totally get you lol!

@LushLox are you relaxed? Because your lox are so damn lush! How did you achieve this look?

@YvetteWithJoy I don't know why you decided to go natural but for me the different textures and the demarcation lines on my texlaxed hair were and still are too frustrating. They make my hair very tangle- and breakage- prone. And I didn't want to go completely relaxed because I don't know if it would be any better and because I wanted there to be curls. I know I could have gotten these by setting but I wanted to be able to WNG.

starfish

Ok I’m coming out of lurkdom to join you ladies. I’m relaxed and about .5 from BSL right now. A couple of years ago I grew my hair to MBL in 8 months wet bunning and drinking massive amounts of chlorella (sp?). I know I could easily get there if I wet bunned but I like wearing my hair out. I must decide, wet bun and fast progress or wear it out and slow progress. I tried taking chlorella again but I couldn’t stomach it. I’ve been wetting and sealing my ends daily with the hopes my ends don’t get crunchy and my stylist won’t have to dust them off. I want healthy thick ends more than length. Maybe I should try some Scurl.....
Happy growing!

LushLox

I feel like with all I've learned about hair care due to having gone natural, I could spend 1/20 of the time I currently spend on my hair if it were straight.

My natural hair's density creates the time sink: Everything must be applied in sections. Everything must be done in sections. I put in 3 hours yesterday, and it didn't dry in 12 hours. So it's a little misshapen today. That's frustrating.

I'm trying to hold on until my hair is long enough to put into one french braid.

You know you've got the better gig being natural, the grass certainly isn't greener over here. There's some sacrifices to be made for it being slightly easier as a relaxed head. You're doing great, your hair is beautiful.

Maybe I'll transition one day.

Probably because yours looks so lush lol @LushLox haha your name is soo apt.

@YvetteWithJoy I hope you aren't going through any struggles right now esp. hair wise. You've been having a great time of late.
I totally get you lol!

@LushLox are you relaxed? Because your lox are so damn lush! How did you achieve this look?

@YvetteWithJoy I don't know why you decided to go natural but for me the different textures and the demarcation lines on my texlaxed hair were and still are too frustrating. They make my hair very tangle- and breakage- prone. And I didn't want to go completely relaxed because I don't know if it would be any better and because I wanted there to be curls. I know I could have gotten these by setting but I wanted to be able to WNG.

Thanks, I'm trying lol. I'm relaxed, but I did have to straighten it for it to look like that and then I just put my hair in some flexi rods. I think it's the pre-conditioning/moisturising that really helps to give it that finish though.

Alma Petra

You know you've got the better gig being natural, the grass certainly isn't greener over here. There's some sacrifices to be made for it being slightly easier as a relaxed head. You're doing great, your hair is beautiful.

Thanks, I'm trying lol. I'm relaxed, but I did have to straighten it for it to look like that and then I just put my hair in some flexi rods. I think it's the pre-conditioning/moisturising that really helps to give it that finish though.
Thanks for the response! So how do you moisturize your hair before flat ironing? And do you use any special products or serums?

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Thanks. Your message really encourages.

I am trying to get used to the way I look in a puff. Lol. If I wore a saturated puff more often, hair life would be simpler. I feel like a little girl when I wear a puff.

Your hair is beautiful, too. :smile:

LushLox

Thanks for the response! So how do you moisturize your hair before flat ironing? And do you use any special products or serums?

I did a whole head baggy overnight (which I haven’t done for years) with that amla oil. Shampooed out then DC’d with Hairfinity Amino Masque. I didn’t think the masque would be all that but it’s amazing, my hair feels really nice when I use it so it’ll be a straight repurchase when I finish it up.

I used Aphogee Pro Vitamin and Sachajuan leave ins and a little bit of Kerastase Nectar Thermique. I used a heated brush, flat ironed then put the hair in flexi rods. I can’t be using that kind of heat regularly though so I’ll be back to air drying this week.

I may have to implement the overnight baggy back into my routine now and again as this is the second time I’ve baggied recently with decent results.

starfish

You know after reading this thread I realize i don’t know anything about my hair. I need I look up what porosity means. I think I’m 4a but my friend says I’m 3c. All I know is that if I let my hair air dry it’s a big pouffy mess. I only rollerset on magnetic rollers but I’m trying to think of ways to not use any heat but not wet bun. I use Silicon Miz shampoo and conditioner and my hair seems well moisturized. Maybe I can start trying finishing products that will allow me to air dry in twists or something and keep my loose curls. Off to do more research.....

LushLox

You know after reading this thread I realize i don’t know anything about my hair. I need I look up what porosity means. I think I’m 4a but my friend says I’m 3c. All I know is that if I let my hair air dry it’s a big pouffy mess. I only rollerset on magnetic rollers but I’m trying to think of ways to not use any heat but not wet bun. I use Silicon Miz shampoo and conditioner and my hair seems well moisturized. Maybe I can start trying finishing products that will allow me to air dry in twists or something and keep my loose curls. Off to do more research.....

IMO it’s much more important to know and understand your hair porosity rather than knowing your hair label/type.

Last edited:

faithVA

Thank you, I’ll do a strand test when I get home tonight. I want to make sure I’m using the right products for my hair to maximize growth.
If your hair seems well moisturized more than likely you are normal porosity. And if you are rollersetting and using a dryer on moderate heat you shouldn' have any issues. Indirect heat can still be online with your goals. Switching over to twists or other styles requiring worrying may not be better.

FadingDelilah

Why don't you just rollerset and air dry? You don't have to use heat to dry your rollerset. The only difference it makes is that it dries faster with a drier. The results will be the same.

starfish

Why don't you just rollerset and air dry? You don't have to use heat to dry your rollerset. The only difference it makes is that it dries faster with a drier. The results will be the same.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that once and my hair didn’t dry overnight. My hair stays wet for a long time without heat to dry. I have a Pibbs dryer so I can set it to dry on a cooler setting.

@faithVA thank you for this. I was about to go on full product junkie mode and change everything up, but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I think I need to pay attention to what makes my hair grow at the scalp, and what I need to do to protect my fine fragile dry ends. I roll my hair on two big (the blue ones) flexirods and I think this practice makes my ends crunchy. Maybe I’ll try baggying the ends on the flexirod.

You ladies are the best, I feel like I can really reach MBL by the end of he year if I focus. Thank you!

FadingDelilah

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that once and my hair didn’t dry overnight. My hair stays wet for a long time without heat to dry. I have a Pibbs dryer so I can set it to dry on a cooler setting.

@faithVA thank you for this. I was about to go on full product junkie mode and change everything up, but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I think I need to pay attention to what makes my hair grow at the scalp, and what I need to do to protect my fine fragile dry ends. I roll my hair on two big (the blue ones) flexirods and I think this practice makes my ends crunchy. Maybe I’ll try baggying the ends on the flexirod.

You ladies are the best, I feel like I can really reach MBL by the end of he year if I focus. Thank you!

The cold air idea sounds perfect. You could also try applying something heavier to your ends before your roll them. Good luck! You seem to be almost there.

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
Suffered a minor set back yesterday. I desperately needed to wash some gel out of my hair and didn't have any conditioner on hand because I've started going to the shop to get my hair done.

So I washed my hair and attempted to put it on two french braids and my hair was a matted mess. Went to the store with wet hair to buy some detangling conditioner but the damage had already been done. Had to cut two very small matted pieces out of my hair :-(

I won't be doing that again.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
YouTuber Mary Hampton grew her hair out in part by wearing flat twist outs done on blown dry hair. (Her demo video is below.)

I tried it this weekend (Curl Junkie Repair Me, Texture ID Foam heat protectant, Fantasia IC blow dry serum). I saw a little hair loss.

Also, I was too heavy handed (concerned about heat damage, no doubt). Hair was to product-laden and unmoving to take on gel for twisting. I applied a water-heavy cream to try to soften it up. Not wanting to add even more product, I retwisted simply with it (results attached below).

:scratchchin: I want to try this for a bit. Wearing my hair straight right now has me unworried about it: It's not drying out, shrinking, tangling, etc.

I am considering straightening in a different way next time. Steam iron pro? Flexirods? Bantu knot out? Wavy curl formers (like Nap85 uses hers)?

I'm thinking about only using the Texture ID Foam heat protectant, skipping the serum, and using something such as CRN Curl Maker or Curl Origin twisting cream or this new Tropical Mane Choice braid/twist cream I just saw (attached).

Attachments

• IMG_20180325_084000-1224x1520.jpg
    IMG_20180325_084000-1224x1520.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180326_101449-1728x2304.jpg
    IMG_20180326_101449-1728x2304.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 28