Bsl/mbl 2018 Challenge!!

Saga

The Generous Queen
Took my cornrows out after four weeks. Can you believe there was already build up in the nape area? And I thought I was gonna make it to 6 weeks, smh. I had to detangle really slowly because I went two days with dirty stretched hair that ended up becoming dirty slightly-shrunken hair. So yea, not fun, but my mane is fine. I think I'll wait until around my bday to do another length check, even though the cute pick measuring tape is calling me.

Caramel74

I've been doing wash n goes because I'm terrified to pull my hair back when wet. Anyone have any luck with wash n goes using headbands? It's getting a little crazy now that it is growing. I'm scared of everything now after losing all that length bc of breakage from PS. I can't win. Wanted to try wash and goes using headbands for shape.

Ok I am probably missing out on an inversion challenge in a thread somewhere but I’m in my comfort zone here so going to track with you lovelies. Here’s day 1 right before i do my first treatment, which is now! Will see you all in seven days. Ps notice my fingers don’t reach my hair in the back anymore! That’s how I know it’s been chopped! Anyway a little note-went Sunday and had it trimmed to get rid of the choppiness. She did help but still so many layers...::AGAIN!!!!! Why why why!!!:(. My hair is also so fine, just is what it is. Envious of all you ladies with thickness. Well I’m off on my journey.

Attachments

• 7837D036-4FF7-4A97-BDA2-CB7EC942BB59.jpeg
    7837D036-4FF7-4A97-BDA2-CB7EC942BB59.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 79

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I rinsed out my dc (lait vital) and cowashed with Curl Ideal. Then I used my Suave Keratin Infusions leave in and blow dried it. I straightened it too. Hopefully it lasts a week. I hate having to do a mid week wash. I barely have time for 1 wash a week these days :(

Caramel74

Ok I am probably missing out on an inversion challenge in a thread somewhere but I’m in my comfort zone here so going to track with you lovelies. Here’s day 1 right before i do my first treatment, which is now! Will see you all in seven days. Ps notice my fingers don’t reach my hair in the back anymore! That’s how I know it’s been chopped! Anyway a little note-went Sunday and had it trimmed to get rid of the choppiness. She did help but still so many layers...::AGAIN!!!!! Why why why!!!:(. My hair is also so fine, just is what it is. Envious of all you ladies with thickness. Well I’m off on my journey.
You are beautiful princess!

CoilyArielBrowe

Last week I decided to do another balancing conditioner and used ORS Hair Mayonnaise. However, I was feeling lazy and left it on overnight and then took a long time to twist it . As a result my hair was dry this week. I decided to just start over this week. I preposed with SSI Curl Moist, Shampooed, and Deep Conditioned with Alikay Honey & Sage. I'll twist using Alikay Lemongrass Leave-In, SSI Honey Buttercream Moisturizer, and Seyani Butter. Hopefully this will result in hair that's not dry. I'll try to finish my wash day today, it could only help.
Sidenote: I started taking Camille Rose Natural Super Food Vitamins. This is my first week and I only take one a day but so far they're ok. We'll see if I notice any change.

Caramel74

What i been doing is letting my wash n go dry, then if it dries crazy which it always does n i feel some type of way, i braid it and flip the ends. Once its dry i have my cute go to style that looks good on women of color. The two puffy ponies. Not being able to wet bun is not a good look for me. Please just grow already! Looking forward to having it flatironed next month and most definitely APL. Apl feels like WL on me, for real.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I will attempt to cover my (3) grays with a rinse. It looks black, but it has an ash base. I'm looking forward to the change :look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wavey:

I went in for my semi-annual professional trim, and below are the pre-trim and post-trim photos. I blogged about my experience at the new-to-me salon (phenomenal!), about the extent of my split ends (photos included), and about the stylist's and my ideas to reduce the extent of my split ends. For those interested, here's the address of the blog post: https://blossomingfitnatural.com/2018/05/18/length-check-trim-and-a-new-to-me-salon/

As I discuss in the blog post, I will definitely be purchasing, trialing, and evaluating The Mane Choice Split-End Treatment (the Sally's reviews here are compelling) . . . and I'm also going to try some styling and detangling and brushing changes. :smile:

May 17, 2018 before the trim. It had been 6 months since my last trim, I believe.

May172018BeforeTrim.jpg

May 17, 2018 after the trim:

May172018AfterTrim.jpg

Other photos after styling (next day, after the Texas heat and humidity got a hold of it ;) ) :
  1. https://blossomingfitnatural.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/img_20180518_140437.jpg
  2. https://blossomingfitnatural.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/img_20180518_140327.jpg
  3. https://blossomingfitnatural.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/img_20180518_140442.jpg
Overall:

My yet-trimmed hair went from line marker 9.5 in 2017 to line marker 11 in 2018 at its longest points. My trimmed hair went from line marker 8.5 in 2017 to line marker 9.5 in 2018. This means that my hair split more this time around. It means that I retained 1 inch of healthy hair in 5 months. That’s 0.3 0.5 (?) inches of growth per month, and 1/5 an inch of healthy hair retained per month.

That's my update. I've been keeping up with yours while logged out. :up: :smile:

Back on social media hiatus I go! (Thus I won't be able to respond to any posts here, but I can reply to comments at the blog.)

Take care, and happy healthy hair growing!

:heart:

Last edited:

Ashna

Idk if I'm retaining any length, but I've certainly been enjoying my hair lately. I switched to washing once a week, and by doing this, I found that I can actually finger detangle properly. Before this, I tried finger detangling and deemed it 'not for me', but with a relatively frequent (and consistent) wash day, tangles are there but they're not crazy.
Current favourites: Texture id styling cream (from Sally's). I usually use it for low buns and braidouts, but I'm going to try it for my (first ever) wash and go experiment on Friday. I got the initial product rec from Iamtraeh on youtube, and she recently tried a wash and go with it so I'm going to follow along and see what's what. I've never actually paid attention to whether I have a curl pattern or not before lol.

GGsKin

The time between my wash days seems to be expanding. If I don't note it in my calender, I'll literally check the board to see when I last washed my hair.

In spite of this, my dirty (wash and go) hair has been getting compliments and weave checkedo_O lol. A lady came out of her office in the bank the other day to "check it out". Then she invited me to her office and we sat and chatted about hair for a while.

I washed my hair on Tuesday and on Wednesday it looked and felt a little drier than usual. Could it be that I forgot to apply my Shea butter? Possibly. I'll add some to my length and ends at some point today.

CoilyArielBrowe

Did a light protein treatment Sunday with 2 eggs whipped in olive oil. I will NEVER do that again for I had leftover cooked egg in my hair. Next time I'll opt for mayo.

I'm sorry to hear about the cooked egg. I'm interested to hear how the mayo treatment will work. Have you tried greek yogurt ? It used to be one of my go to's for protein. I just follow Naptural85's method.