Bsl/mbl 2018 Challenge!!

GGsKin

I snipped some random strands (about 2-3inches) on Friday and began my wash with an overnight pre-treat of Philip Kingsley Elasticizer and ayurvedic oil. On Saturday I used a clay mix of rhassoul and c.bentonite, hibiscus powder and SAA (I forgot I also added coconut vinegar to this mix).

I followed this with Alikay Naturals Avocado DC (baggied, with heat from my blowdryer) and after rinsing, I slathered my shea butter mix on my ends and worked up. Then topped with diluted KCCC, and styled. As my hair ends are loose, I thought the shea butter might leave my hair feeling a little stiff but it feels soft and moisturised (the very middle of my ponytail is still wet). Now I just have to stop touching it.

Last edited:

LushLox

I snipped some random strands (about 2-3inches) on Friday and began my wash with an overnight pre-treat of Philip Kingsley Elasticizer and ayurvedic oil. On Saturday I used a clay mix of rhassoul and c.bentonite, hibiscus powder and SAA.

I followed this with Alikay Naturals Avocado DC and after rinsing, I slathered my shea butter mix on my ends and worked up. Then topped with diluted KCCC, and styled. As my hair ends are loose, I thought the shea butter might leave my hair feeling a little stiff but it feels soft and moisturised (the very middle of my ponytail is still wet). Now I just have to stop touching it.

You're supposed to be putting those scissors down lol

Ashna

I'm in! I've never actually tried to intentionally grow out my hair before. In fact, I don't even have a set regimen, because I'm basically allergic to consistency. So this year (and challenge) will be basically me paying attention to what products and techniques my hair likes and not just picking something that smells nice :spinning:. I'm at BSB-ish now, I'll try to post a picture when I rollerset on Sunday.

Angel1881

Lurker '01; Member '08; First post '17
For years I’ve watched challenges on this board and I’m so excited to finally participate with you guys!

:bouncy:

Warning: This post is somewhat long because I’m trying to introduce myself after all of these years. (I’m also in the Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge and this info is similar.)

Hair Details:

Natural 4a, BSL scraping MBL, ? porosity, fine/fragile strands, thick density with thin ends.

Goals:

1. Thicken up my hemline. The last 3 inches of my hair are noticeably thin because (a) I’ve been wearing it out too much, (b) I didn’t properly moisturize it for nearly a year, and (c) I did too many S&Ds and not enough overall trims.

2. Reach full MBL. My hair grows in a natural V-shape, but I’m striving for blunt ends with a few face framing layers…like this photo:

20180109_2018 MBL Length Goal.jpg

3. Find the proper moisture/protein balance for my ends to prevent splits. I have fine/fragile strands, and my hair is thick in density with thin ends. My hair is finicky. I don’t know my porosity, so maybe that’s why I’ve found myself in a catch-22. If I don’t M&S regularly, my hair gets very dry and frizzy. However, it breaks easily with regular M&Sing without also regularly using protein…so I MUST use protein. But then my hair quickly gets too hard when I follow a regular protein schedule. My hair needs both moisture and protein carefully balanced depending on how it feels that day. I tend to slack off on regular M&S due to (a) laziness, and (b) fear of the vicious cycle of breakage from over-moisturization leading to protein overload and on and on...

My Participation in this Challenge:
  • Flat-iron on Jan. 10 and Dec. 31 for length checks. I mostly flat-iron once a year.
  • Post starting pics on Jan. 8-10 and ending pic on Dec. 31.
  • Follow the regimen below to achieve my 3 goals listed above.
  • Post at least weekly about how I’ve been taking care of my ends.
  • Post pics of the way I normally wear my hair at least once quarterly. (Braids/braidouts, twists/twistouts, bantu-knotouts, updos, and buns)
  • Post any helpful info I learn about products, techniques, and styles to maintain luscious, healthy ends.
Regimen:

I’ve been natural since October of 1999 and after 18 years, I’ve noticed that my hair does best when I faithfully adhere to the following:
  • Wash weekly with shampoo.
  • Always deep condition for 30 min after every wash. (I will allow 1 cheat pass every quarter, which I want to save in case I’m pressed for time.)
  • When using protein treatments, always use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards.
  • Seal leave-in conditioner with black castor oil and dry up to 50% under the dryer in 4-8 twists.
  • Re-twist hair a second time while layering products in order of LCBVOG (V=Vaseline; G=gel) after leave-in conditioner/oil/dryer combo above. VaselineFootnote mostly goes on the last 3-4 inches, but a tiny amount is spread on the rest of the hair. Air-dry or dryer until 90% dry.
  • Re-twist hair a third time with more product. Air-dry or dryer until set.
  • M&S every other day. I only add more Vaseline, or Gel, or ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer if my hair feels like it needs it.
  • Apply all products from roots to tips and smooth down. (Except ApHogee above, which only goes on ends.)
  • Regular micro-trims with minimal S&Ds. This helps minimize uneven lengths, but still allows me to get rid of a bad knot/split. My hair is fine and needs regular snips of approx. 1/8 inch or less at least monthly – before it gets a chance to split. Otherwise, I retain significantly less. I think I have an average growth rate. My plan is to grow 6 in. and trim 1 ½ - 2 in. over the course of this year for a net gain of 4 - 4 ½ in.
  • Brushing approximately 4x monthly maximum.
  • Mostly wear my hair up when out and covered in satin scarf/bonnet when home.
  • Only straighten with flat iron on low once or twice a year.
  • Take supplements daily: HSN/multi-vitamin, MSM, silica, zinc, lecithin, fish oil or flaxseed oil.
Footnote: Speaking of Vaseline, I used to HATE it with a passion and refused to use it until 2016. I started using it because I was desperate to help my ends. Shea butter (alone or in blends) was great, but it wasn’t cutting it as a sealer and hadn’t been for a while. I only gave in after many years of research and running into naturals testifying and showing receipts about how it helped their ends. I use it only as a sealer with a little oil afterwards to keep my hair less stiff.

Products I will usually use for LCBVOG in order of appearance:

L Water in spray bottle
ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer on ends when needed (after water applied to strands)​

C 1. Alberto VO5, Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner (VO5) by itself

2. VO5 mixed with black castor oil, sunflower oil, EVOO

3. VO5 mixed with shea butter (lightly refined), black castor oil, sunflower oil, EVOO, and essential oils

Note: When I do LCBVOG on wash day I often use nos. 1 and 3 together as the “C,” and when doing my M&S during the week, I tend to use nos. 2 and 3 together as the “C.” Every once in a while I only use no. 1.

B Shea butter mix includes heavy unrefined shea butter, black castor oil, sunflower oil, EVOO, essential oils

V Baby-scented Vaseline

O Blend of Sunflower oil (80%) and EVOO (20%) OR Vitamin E oil

G Wet Line Xtreme Styling Gel

I know I use a LOT of product and it seems like it’s too much. It took me a long time to learn that my hair needs weight to get moisturized and hold a style. I live in an environment with extremely low humidity and I can use a lot of product and it sinks in without feeling too greasy. In fact, my hair is frizziest and can’t hold a style when I use less. I love that the few times I manage to get greasy hair when I LCBVOG, it doesn’t stay that way for longer than a few hours. This aspect of my hair amazes me. Luckily, I don’t get any flaking because I use the Wet Line gel. I absolutely love this gel!

Oh, and when I add essential oil, it is for fragrance. Right now, my mixes contain both geranium and sweet orange oils. I tend to use citrus blends.

I’m hoping that consistency with this regimen will retain my ends in a dramatic way.

Staples:

I like and use more products than those listed below, but these are my die-hard, not-mixed-by-me staples that I see myself using for the rest of my life:

Shampoo
Head & Shoulders, Sensitive Scalp Care
Redken, Cleansing Cream

Conditioner
Kenra, Moisturizing Conditioner $
Herbal Essences, Hello Hydration Conditioner

Protein Conditioner
Nexxus, Emergencee – Marine Collagen $

Leave-In Conditioner
Paul Mitchell, The Conditioner
ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer

Oil
Black Castor Oil
Jason Naturals, Vit. E 5,000 IU Skin Oil $

Moisturizer
Alberto VO5, Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
Hair Rules, Hydrating Finishing Cream $

Butter
100% Shea Butter unrefined
KeraCare Natural Textures, Butter Cream $
Camille Rose, Almond & Jai Twisting Butter $

Styler

Tigi Catwalk, Curl Collection Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier $

Heat Styling
Hair Rules, Blow it all Out $

Sealer
Vaseline

Gel
Wet Line Xtreme Styling Gel

Honorable Mention
Shea Solutions, Leave-In Conditioner (I’ve only used this once and it was ahh-mazing, dahling. If this works the same way every time, then it will become a staple.)

****I tend to use the products with the $ sparingly due to cost.****

Starting Pics 1/8/18 – Curly Braidout

20180108_Curly Braidout.jpg

20180108_Curly Braidout Front Stretched.jpg

20180108_Curly Braidout Back Stretched.jpg

20180108_Curly Braidout Back Stretched Bra.jpg

Starting Pics – Flat-ironed

{Photos will be added 1/10/18}

Last edited:

Angel1881

Lurker '01; Member '08; First post '17
I was supposed to add starting pics of flat ironed hair yesterday, but it rained so hard that it would have been ridiculous to flat-iron because I constantly go inside and outside throughout the day. I rescheduled to today, but it rained again...so it will have to wait until tomorrow. The weather should clear up by then.

In the meantime, I've kept that curly braidout that you see in the above post. I let it get wet in the rain and it has gotten puffier, but otherwise has kept its shape.

curlykimmy

I've avoided rollersetting because it seems you have to use so many rollers, plus it takes forever to dry. Well, I found this video on youtube with an easier and faster way to set (horseshoe flexirod method). Man, I wish I found this a long time ago! I think I'll try it this weekend. I'd like to rollerset more during this challenge.

apple_natural

When I start getting like this, I put my hair in braids.

I'm going to have to do that. It was my original idea for this year, but I could not get enough energy to do it. I think its going to have to happen

-
i rinsed my dry hair last night with just water and put on some shea mix. I put them in four flat twists and a bun in the back. its breaking.

Evolving78

After I wash my hair today, I’m just gonna keep my hair in 4 sections and deal with it like that until I relax again. I don’t wear my hair out anyway. I have to start detangling my new growth more often, so at least if it is already sectioned off, it will be easier to deal with.

ClassyJSP

Plan on washing and deep conditioning my hair tonight to prep it for my wig braids this weekend. The plan is to have my hair braided up and left alone until around this time next month.

faithVA

I've avoided rollersetting because it seems you have to use so many rollers, plus it takes forever to dry. Well, I found this video on youtube with an easier and faster way to set (horseshoe flexirod method). Man, I wish I found this a long time ago! I think I'll try it this weekend. I'd like to rollerset more during this challenge.

I want to try this but my hair doesn't smooth out like that no matter what product combinations I use. I will have to play around with this.

Evolving78

I have a lot of hair to regrow to regain fullness, so a year is needed for me. I think my goal this year is to gain fullness and have a bigger bun! Wearing my hair down was my big goal for my 40th birthday, but life throws you curveballs, so gotta just roll with it.