Bsl/mbl 2018 Challenge!!

apple_natural

i dont know if i recorded the last time i straightened my hair which was at least three weeks ago. its still straight and i have not washed it. its just up in a bun. i dont feel like looking at it because i don't know if its still shedding and/or breaking or if it is just coming out because i don't do anything to it. either way. in a bun it is until i feel like dealing with it.

i do want box braids. those big ones ^^ are cute and don't look like they will take much time. they do look like they take a million packs of hair though :)

CoilyArielBrowe

Three things; I use Rajasthani henna which is said to have the deepest red deposit. I add hibiscus powder and tea to my mix. Lastly, I freeze my mix before use which forces the lawsone molecules to burst, giving a more vibrant stain.

Thank you ! How soon do you freeze your henna mix? Do you wait for the color to develop or do you freeze it right after you mix it ?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Haven't washed my hair in about two weeks and change. Had a hot water problem. :rolleyes: Been keeping my hair in the typical buns etc. I realized I grew/retained an inch since I least measured my nape. The short side of my nape is now 14" up from 13" and the longer side is now 15" up from 14. For some reason I'm not at all excited. :look: Been just keeping it moisturized with water/glycerine spray and sealing with shea butter. Still keeping up with my protein dc as well.

Caramel74

Hello Hair Sisters!

Checking in after a long break

BC'd One length CBL I'm struggling to APL. Finally broke down n used semi color my grays were gtg too crazy n needed some thickness.

Went to Mastercuts for a flatiron. Not only did she charge me $25, but tried to put pressure on me to "trim" next time. I'm sitting here like... Some people just don't get ethnic hair, girl go on... Lolz....

CoilyArielBrowe

Wanted to henna but its so messy n takes so long. Ended up w Clairol Natural Instincts dark brown semi perm dye.

I understand! Henna is messy and time consuming. I'm sure the semi permanent got you the results you wanted faster. I'm still trying to decide if the henna is achieving the results I want. I started because I wanted some color and I tried doing it once a month for a year but I felt like after a year it's made me fine hair thinner. I've looked into doing color but I'm growing out a little bit of heat damage and want to wait until it's grown out. Until then I've decided to do full head treatments 2-3 times a year, add alma treatments to fight some of the curl loosening, and do full treatments the front of my head every other month.

Caramel74

Something I'm considering this challenge. Idk if I want to invest in a bonnet hair dryer for deep conditioner treatments n rollers etc. Its nice having it done but it can get costly. Haven't decided just thinking. My hair is too dry for my taste n its hard to figure out why.

Caramel74

I understand! Henna is messy and time consuming. I'm sure the semi permanent got you the results you wanted faster. I'm still trying to decide if the henna is achieving the results I want. I started because I wanted some color and I tried doing it once a month for a year but I felt like after a year it's made me fine hair thinner. I've looked into doing color but I'm growing out a little bit of heat damage and want to wait until it's grown out. Until then I've decided to do full head treatments 2-3 times a year, add alma treatments to fight some of the curl loosening, and do full treatments the front of my head every other month.
Is your hair long enough to chop off the damage? Sometimes its time to start over hun but only u can decide if n when u had enough... I also understand my hair started gtg too thin. The grays don't look bad naturally. We gotta think hair health too, which ik u r so great! Keep doing what works for u n makes u feel beautiful your siggy pic is cute, u have nice hair!

CoilyArielBrowe

Is your hair long enough to chop off the damage? Sometimes its time to start over hun but only u can decide if n when u had enough... I also understand my hair started gtg too thin. The grays don't look bad naturally. We gotta think hair health too, which ik u r so great! Keep doing what works for u n makes u feel beautiful your siggy pic is cute, u have nice hair!

Thank You! :oops: I've been gradually cutting the ends as I'm growing out my hair because the damage is concentrated on one side of my head. I didn't want to cut it all down. It's not to bad because I did a long-term transition the first time I went natural and I feel prepared to handle my hair. There have been times when I thought about cutting it all lol.

Caramel74

Thank You! :oops: I've been gradually cutting the ends as I'm growing out my hair because the damage is concentrated on one side of my head. I didn't want to cut it all down. It's not to bad because I did a long-term transition the first time I went natural and I feel prepared to handle my hair. There have been times when I thought about cutting it all lol.
uuhhg, I concur. My crazy mane is finally starting to grow back. I was please today to wake up and put it in a high bun... good lord

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've rediscovered Amla oil. Not the Dabur one as I can't really tolerate the smell. It is a great oil; I've been using it overnight and applying to my scalp and the lengths. Hair feels ultra silky whenever I use it. I use it when I bun too.

What brand of amla oil do you use? TIA!

LushLox

What brand of amla oil do you use? TIA!

Amla Hair Remedy - Alchemy

Emblica Officinalis (Amla) Fruit & Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Fractionated Coconut Oil)
Persea Gratissima (Organic Avocado Oil)
Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (Organic Argan Oil)
Citrus Limon (Lemon Essential Oil)

To get the waves, do you have to straighten your hair before installing the rollers? Or can you roll wet, coily hair? TIA!

Well my hair is relaxed so it's always straight. I'm sure @Prettymetty can better advise.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
To get the waves, do you have to straighten your hair before installing the rollers? Or can you roll wet, coily hair? TIA!
Yes my hair was straightened prior to rolling. It was like day 4 hair. I used Chi Keratin k-trix5 as a hear protectant. I didn't add any product before rolling though. I just put my hair in 5 sections, and rolled from the top to the bottom. I put the roller in and rolled my hair around and twisted the roller tight. My waves lasted all day, but they fell a bit.

Thanks for the love ladies :bighug:

Eta I've never tried on wet hair, but I think it would work on blow dried hair. Maybe next week...

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
You and your hair are so beautiful! How did you prepare your hair for the rollers?
Thank you!! I wear my hair blown and ironed straight most of the time. When my roots start to frizz, I roll it for a couple days to make it last longer. Those rollers are the business. No breakage, no pain, and they create beautiful waves or curls depending on how you roll.