Bsl/mbl Challenge 2019, Let's Go!

CoilyArielBrowe

I would like to join. This picture is from August. I plan on blowing my hair out next week and will update the picture then. I've been experiencing some breakage so it will most likely be shorter. I have a few layers that are a few inches away from BSL/MBL which for me is the same length. I want all my hair to be this length so I hope to be almost there by the end of 2019.

August18.jpg

GGsKin

I washed my hair on Sunday, giving it a protein treatment with Aphogee 2 Step. I followed my moisture DC (Camille Rose Algae Renew + SM Low Po) with a rice water rinse.
I styled with my whipped Shea butter mix and diluted KCCC. I left it loose to dry a little (not much in this cold wet weather) and then put it up in one.

I'm toying with the idea of twisting my whole head - I did the back half a few weeks ago. But I'm holding off because I think it won't look cute.

ClassyJSP

I'm in.

I just had a relaxer and a trim on Monday and I was hoovering around BSB post trim. My overall goal is to reach BSL/MBL so i'm sure i'll be able to do that this upcoming year.

I'll try to post a starting picture sometime over the weekend so I can track my progress accordingly this year.

Happy hair growing ladies :rose:

Last edited:

GGsKin

I've been feeling bunged up and unwell for a couple of days. After last week's Aphogee treatment, my hair was feeling a little dry. I don't tend to moisturize my hair after wash day but I started using my Nature's Ego fenugreek scalp serum this week. So tonight/ this morning, I took my hair down and in sections, I massaged my scalp using the serum. I then applied a TMC soy conditioner (the names are so long) to my length, before topping with more serum. I love how the serum makes my hair feel. I'd be more descriptive but I'm tired now.

I put my hair in twists after detangling each section and baggied the whole lot for bed. I'll try to wash it tomorrow. I'll see how I feel.

faithVA

I've been feeling bunged up and unwell for a couple of days. After last week's Aphogee treatment, my hair was feeling a little dry. I don't tend to moisturize my hair after wash day but I started using my Nature's Ego fenugreek scalp serum this week. So tonight/ this morning, I took my hair down and in sections, I massaged my scalp using the serum. I then applied a TMC soy conditioner (the names are so long) to my length, before topping with more serum. I love how the serum makes my hair feel. I'd be more descriptive but I'm tired now.

I put my hair in twists after detangling each section and baggied the whole lot for bed. I'll try to wash it tomorrow. I'll see how I feel.
Hope you feel better soon

SunySydeofLyfe

Welp, Sunday’s wash day didn’t happen! Sitting under the steamer with a prepoo. Planning on using my bobeam poo bar, dc with African prides clay mask (1st time, fingers crossed), lottabody 5n1 leave in (1st time), revair, braid, excel21, sulfur ‘grease’ and baggy! Think I might throw an oil rinse after I dc....I’ll see ....

Read reviews on the African pride and I really like the lottabody cowash, how wonderful life will be if $5.00 and less products show out!!!! I’ll review them tomorrow

michelle81

Starting pics on my homemade length check shirt, Lol!. I'm at the top of my brastrap and it seems like around 9.5 is full brastrap for me. WSL is about 15-16 so I don't believe I'll make that. Hoping for MBL this year at around 12 or so on my shirt.

B91B96A3-EFAA-487E-9D19-795FF3F9C57D.jpeg 94D20D1C-2881-409A-8528-1C29E6515F60.jpeg

Last edited:

CoilyArielBrowe

Started my wash day today. I detangled with water , SSI Curl Moist, and olive oil and put my hair in braids. I'm moving slow so this will probably stay in my hair overnight and wash tomorrow. I'm hoping to straightening my hair tomorrow and hopefully post an updated starting photo.

DecBack18.jpg DecSide18.jpg December18.jpg
Starting Photos. I'm hoping to grow out the front and side this year. I'm about 3 inches from BSL/MBL in the back. Hopefully I'll make progress by the end of year.

Last edited:

CombatBarbie

I’m in!! I’ll use this as a means of keeping myself accountable. :look:

I’m currently at an unhealthy amd uneven BSL. Hopefully after a fresh cut and better practices I’ll be able to make it a healthy MBL in 2019.

Currently in some Senegalese twists but will upload pics after my next relaxer.

SunySydeofLyfe

Welp, Sunday’s wash day didn’t happen! Sitting under the steamer with a prepoo. Planning on using my bobeam poo bar, dc with African prides clay mask (1st time, fingers crossed), lottabody 5n1 leave in (1st time), revair, braid, excel21, sulfur ‘grease’ and baggy! Think I might throw an oil rinse after I dc....I’ll see ....

Read reviews on the African pride and I really like the lottabody cowash, how wonderful life will be if $5.00 and less products show out!!!! I’ll review them tomorrow

Bobeam shampoo - still winning
African pride pre poo - win
African pride clay mask - didn’t like it at all
Lottabody 5n1 - my new leave it, my hair felt amazing
Oil rinse - will continue to do this, loved how my hair felt after rinsing the conditioner out.

**doux rinse is everything!!!** the instant slip when I was applying it and the softness when I rinse it out! Love it

DMJ's Mom

As promised I am back! Below is my starting pic (taken on a twist out dec 1) and progress pic, since starting this challenge (taken on a braidout today). The 3rd pic is one of my go to styles, if its not the 2 large flat twists, then I wear 2 large cornrows or if I am feeling fancy 2 French braids. I wear the braids or twists during the week for work and on the weekends do a high puff or bun. My goal is to get to MBL by then end of this year (pretty unlikely since its right about 6 inches to go but that's why its called a challenge right?)

My regimen is simple, I shampoo weekly and deep condition overnight once or twice a week. I usually do a midweek cowash and try to moisturize nightly. I bought some bottles of Mielle gummies on sale and have been taking them since Oct and am on my last bottle, I' don't think I will purchase at full price and continue use.

I don't have any set products but below are my faves:
Shampoo: Oyin honey wash ( I own but haven't tried the new version), Sulfur 8 deep cleansing (only once a month or if I'm going to try new products)
Cowash: Jane Carter Curl Quench, Oyin honey hemp conditioner
Deep Condition: Curl Origins double moisture overnight mask,
Stylers: Kurleebelle curl defining cream, Oyin Boing!, Crème of Nature Max Hold Snot

Attachments

• jan 1.JPG
    jan 1.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 46
  • double flat twist feb 18.JPG
    double flat twist feb 18.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 48
  • A01CD8E0-E728-471B-BF52-58FFDE74AE90.jpeg
    A01CD8E0-E728-471B-BF52-58FFDE74AE90.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

CoilyArielBrowe

As promised I am back! Below is my starting pic (taken on a twist out dec 1) and progress pic, since starting this challenge (taken on a braidout today). The 3rd pic is one of my go to styles, if its not the 2 large flat twists, then I wear 2 large cornrows or if I am feeling fancy 2 French braids. I wear the braids or twists during the week for work and on the weekends do a high puff or bun. My goal is to get to MBL by then end of this year (pretty unlikely since its right about 6 inches to go but that's why its called a challenge right?)

@DMJ's Mom Your hair is gorgeous! I especially love the two french braids twisted up are so cute. I might have to borrow that style. I think it may be possible to retain 6 inches this year. I'm hoping to retain that many inches in the front.

DMJ's Mom

@DMJ's Mom Your hair is gorgeous! I especially love the two french braids twisted up are so cute. I might have to borrow that style. I think it may be possible to retain 6 inches this year. I'm hoping to retain that many inches in the front.
Good luck to you! Your hair is beautiful!I love those styles because it takes all of 15 minutes to do. I’m hoping I can grow my sides out to your current length, I accidentally cut a chunk out of one side so it’s a good 2 inches shorter than the other

GGsKin

I updated my joining post with my starting pics.

So, last wash day took a little while to come. When I finally got round to it, I decided I would straighten my hair for a 'maintenance' check. I rinsed out my prepoo (Nature's Ego Fenugreek Scalp serum + TMC HH Soy Mask). And used:
Shampoo: Redken Cleansing Cream.
DC: Mielle Babassu & Mint + SM Lo P.o.
DC: Kerastase Maskeratine
Scalp Treats: Philip Kinglsey Scalp Tonic. Nature's Ego Fenugreek Scalp Serum.
Leave in: Keracare Foam wrap.
Heat Protectant: Chi Silk Infusion, Lanza Neem Plant Silk Serum to blow dry.
Flat Iron: A touch of Sabino Moisture block on roots. 1-3 passes, (374°F- 401°F)
+ a light dusting.

Last edited: