Bsl/mbl Challenge 2019, Let's Go!

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by Caramel74, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Saga

Saga The Generous Queen

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Decided to go with short kinky twists instead of box braids and...yea my hair is too long to do bob length styles anymore. Right now I have styled my Twists into a form of crown, but I'm definitely going to try a longer version for my next install.

2. bjade757

bjade757 Active Member

Blog Posts:
    I’m joining! I’ve been dealing with some breakage the last couple of months, so I’m planning to do a serious trim next week. Here’s a pic of my air dried hair.

Attached Files:

3. cocosweet

cocosweet Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I’m in.

Type: 4a/4b
    High porosity
    Length: shoulder length
    Texture: fine, dense s curls

Will likely rotate between wash and go, twists, and puffs.

Current products: Cantu shea butter shampoo, Cantu hydrating cream leave in conditioner, rice water spray 2-3x a week, Proclaim curl activator

Goal: MBL by September
    Starting Length: 10.5 at nape and front. Sides are 10.5”-11” depending on what strand I grab

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  4. pikkonoloidlee

pikkonoloidlee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I feel like I'm finally getting into a groove with my wash days. Being able to bun again without putting too much stress on my edges helps. This is what I used:
    - Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Treatment Masque
    - Olaplex No. 4
    - Olaplex No. 5
    - KCKT
    - 50/50 Fractionated Coconut Oil and Squalane Oil
    - Shea Butter on ends
    - KCCC

5. SunySydeofLyfe

SunySydeofLyfe Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I need some protein! I want to thicken up or give the illusion. Think I’ll do protein this week

Caramel74, Saga, shawnyblazes and 2 others like this.
  6. ClassyJSP

ClassyJSP Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm very happy with how my hair is doing lately.

I washed with Nioxin system 6 shampoo/conditioner and did aphoghee 2 min. I then blow-dried half way and put my hair in a bun for the rest of the day. Today I put a half wig on and blended my hair and it came out super cute.

7. bjade757

bjade757 Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Haven’t been able to trim yet. Noticed some breakage when I relaxed Monday so I held off on blow drying and flat ironing. Seems that the it’s a ten leave in got most of the breakage under control. When I wash again on Friday, I’ll do another protein treatment, deep condition and a henna treatment. Hopefully I’ll be able to trim after that so I can get a good starting pic.

Caramel74 and faithVA like this.
  8. shawnyblazes

shawnyblazes Bette Davis Eyes

Blog Posts:
    I started viviscal 4 days ago and incorporating rice water rinses/leave in.

One more week will be 6 weeks in these box braids. I need to henna soon.

Caramel74, Daina and faithVA like this.
  9. SunySydeofLyfe

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    My mom is getting married in June, if I could get 3 inches on this super regimen I would be so happy and bsl! Let’s gro

10. CoilyArielBrowe

CoilyArielBrowe Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm trying to start my wash day today. I think I'll just detangle and pre-poo. Since I straightened my a few weeks ago my scalp has been acting up. So i'm trying a new shampoo this week.

Prepoo: Water, Olive Oil, SSI Curl Moist
    Shampoo: Alikay Naturals Moisturizing Black Soap
    Deep Conditioner: TGIN Honey Hair Miracle
    Leave-In/Styler/Sealant: Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-In, SSI Honey Buttercream, Alikay Shea Yogurt

11. GGsKin

GGsKin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    It's so weird that a similar thing was happening to me...well not my entire scalp, just my hairline at the front. I parted my hair all over to check, and the rest of my scalp was fine but the front kept flaking no matter what I put on it. I even tried using my acid toner there, to exfoliate the dead skin. The only remedy that did the trick for me was my fine toothed comb because I'm not ready to wash my hair yet:spinning:.

12. Prettymetty

Prettymetty Natural/4b/medium-coarse

Blog Posts:
    I did a Keratin treatment last Thursday. My first wash was yesterday. My hair was so smooth and easy to detangle. I straightened it. I trimmed an inch from my longest later just now. My hair looks much thicker now. I’ll do an all over trim in March.

13. silenttullip

silenttullip Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm ready... going for MBL
    Wash 2x a week I'll try.
    Deep condition weekly
    Moisturize and seal nightly
    Box braids large and small

14. CoilyArielBrowe

Blog Posts:
    I understand, if it wasn't for my scalp I would've postponed wash day. So far the new shampoo I tried seems to have eliminated some of the flakes. I have gone at some of the worse patches with a comb this week. :blush2:. However, it started to bring back childhood memories of having flakes combed out and I reluctantly decided it was better to wash than to continue down that path. I was also tired of trying to hide scratching at my scalp lol. :oops:

15. Prettymetty

Blog Posts:
    I ended up trimming an inch from my longest layer a couple days ago. I believe it was a beneficial trim day (root work I think). I am really happy with my hair right now. I may wash it again tomorrow. I’m off!

16. pikkonoloidlee

pikkonoloidlee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I decided to do a wash and go and skip oil. My hair was much less frizzy.

Attached Files:

17. SunySydeofLyfe

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Mid week wash and dc! I’m using up products but realize I really like the Nairobi shampoo and stimu-sil deep conditioner, I love to feel the tingle!

18. GGsKin

GGsKin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Gave myself a head massage before buttering up my hair with my Shea mix- my hair is still fairly straight and so soft. I managed to dust the some new or missed splits and put in six bantu knots for bed.

19. Prettymetty

Blog Posts:
    I’ve worn my hair curly for the past week. Bae got me getting my hair wet and ****... I’m going to wash and straighten tomorrow. He ain’t finna cause no setbacks :lachen:

20. GGsKin

GGsKin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I've been finding (and dusting) a lot of little splits in the already shorter upper crown section of my hair. I'm tempted to just trim that section again because I obviously didn't take enough off the first time. I'm definitely thinking I need to protect my hair much more this year, particularly these upper layers.

21. shawnyblazes

shawnyblazes Bette Davis Eyes

Blog Posts:
    I took my box braids out . Finally got them all out Saturday. Rescheduled my hair appt for crochet braids to this Tuesday instead of Saturday. Didn't get any of that snow they expected.

I need a really good detangling tool backup. I cant find my bootleg Felicia leatherwood brush.

Cowash last night and put in medium braids to dry. I don't think I'll be blowdrying to stretch for braids. Im going to ask the braider to take her time and gently comb my hair out to braid it up. Im tired of using heat to stretch only for protective styling... at least until I get that revair

Caramel74, icsonia22, faithVA and 4 others like this.
  22. ckisland

ckisland Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    @Caramel74 I know that I'm late, but I'd like to join!!

I straightened my hair. I actually love the length even though it's short! Completely straight, my hair is between CBL and grazing APL. After seeing how short my hair, I'm hoping to reach full BSL, maybe grazing MBL. The numbers are on my side and I know that I'll get 6-7 inches at least :pray:

This is my hair after setting it in 2 bantu knots
    20190123_152328-600x800.jpg 20190123_152409-600x800.jpg 20190123_152404-600x800.jpg

23. Prettymetty

Blog Posts:
    I cowashed with Giovanni moisturizing conditioner. Then I blow dried and flat ironed my hair (Monday). I’m probably going to shampoo my hair and put in another keratin treatment tomorrow. I love the sleek look. And shine. All this cowashing has my hair looking dull and too fluffy.

24. Caramel74

Caramel74 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    @ckisland
    No worries, this ain't that kind of challenge (in my Madea voice) lol

:welcome:

This challenge is laid back. We are here for accountability, support, and to learn from one another and share. Some ladies have embraced their natural texture so much that they may only flatiron once a year if that.

I'm happy you are focused on the health of it and enjoying it at any length. Which brings me to my speech... To be continued

25. Caramel74

Blog Posts:
    Although yes, this is a BSL/MBL challenge, Ion want anyone to feel discouraged in any way ever.

I just went and had my hair professionally evened up in the back. Had I hung on to APL at sides for length. It.Would.Have.Never.Grown. See, dead hair takes away from the healthy hair. All u end up with is Armageddon of the head! I can now where it down and also its long enough to do all my PS.

Not saying go do a BC and I realize we need to get to a place where we are comfy. But you can continue to lose length if you hang onto it too long. It got to the point where I just couldn't stand it.

Salon visit: backwards consultation: (we know our heads best)
    Me: can u flatiron my hair then we talk?
    HD: How much u want off?
    Me: Can't see back there but ik its a mess, how short all one length?
    HD: points longer but this is dead
    Me: Do it up

I was pleasantly surprised

26. Prettymetty

Blog Posts:
    I just washed with Chi Black seed shampoo, added aphogee 2 minute for 2 minutes, then lathered again with Chi Black seed shampoo. Now my hair is air drying and I’m getting ready to put on a keratin treatment. I hope to get even better results this time.

ETA I’m finally finished after about 3 hours... My scalp is sore, but my hair looks and feels sleek and smooth. I can’t wait to wash and dc Monday. I may trim again too. I’m maintaining my length and chasing thick ends this year.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  27. Caramel74

Blog Posts:
    @Prettymetty

That's great that you are maintaining and chasing thick ends! Lord knows you've worked hard and preserved.

Met I will need u I didn't want to bring my issues in but I almost didn't take admin of this BC ( thats because not big chop oh haha ) I felt I didn't have enough to give. But you being here showing its possible to have a real beautiful healthy head of hair helps.

I struggle w some health issues unfortunately but making efforts and doing the best u can w what u have works too.

Just check in w ur beautiful selves all of you!! Lotta work xox

:angel:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  28. CoilyArielBrowe

Blog Posts:
    I've put off wash day for two weeks. I normally wear medium two strand twist and I'm trying to extend the length I can maintain a set. When I first went natural I would wear my two strand twist from 2-5 weeks depending on the set and my hair flourished. I'm trying to recreate that . I'll detangle and prepoo tonight and wash tomorrow.

1. Prepoo: Water, Olive oil , SSI Curl Moist
    2. Shampoo: Eden Bodyworks Peppermint
    3. DC: Mielle Organics Babassu
    4. Style: Alikay Naturals Lemongrass, SSI Honey Buttercream, Alikay Naturals Shea Yogurt

29. GGsKin

GGsKin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    On Friday night, I did an overnight prepoo. In the morning I shampooed focussing on my roots with Redken Cleansing Cream. I followed with a henna mix of Rajasthani henna + hibiscus powder, + zizphus on my ends to try and maintain my pattern as much as possible. I left this on all day and night.

Today, I rinsed and cowashed with SM Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil con. 1st time trying but first impressions are good even though the scent is strong. Then I DCd with steam using Camille Rose Algae Renew + Kerastase Masquintense on ends.

I noticed that my hair felt soft and moisturised after using steam, so I may be incorporating it regularly. I rinsed and used CRN Coconut Water leave-in. I spread my whipped Shea butter mix from root to tip and applied diluted KCCC.

My press is washed out, hair is hennaed, conditioned and Shea-buttered up from root to tip. I'm waiting for it to dry a little before putting my two braids back in for the week.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    bjade757, imaginary, faithVA and 3 others like this.
  30. bjade757

bjade757 Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Finally was able to straighten my hair after my touch up! Waited about two weeks after I relaxed with a protein treatment each wash day to get my breakage under control, washed with the ogx keratin shampoo and condish then air dried. Got my sister to flat iron and trim my hair about a week later. She took anywhere from 1-2” off bc I wanted blunt ends. My goal is to maintain them and let my sides catch up to the back. She took pics, they’re not the best bc the caftan I was wearing was so dark!

Attached Files: