Bsl/mbl Challenge 2019, Let's Go!

pikkonoloidlee

As far as my hair nothing too exciting has been going on. I've pretty much just been putting it up in a bun and being low key. I'm still tweaking my regimen to find what works best.

My cousin finally sent pics from when she did my hair at the end of last year. I hadn't seen the back of my hair and although I tend to lean more towards simple it turned out pretty nice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190129-212612~2-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190129-212612~2-01.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20190129-212624~2-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190129-212624~2-01.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 82

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Even though I have 4 more weeks in this protective style I'm thinking about the next style and pretty sure I'm going to alternate between kinky twists and my own hair the rest of 2019.

I like crochet braids but I cant really get to the length of my hair when its braided down unless I'm using a spray. When its in kinky twists I can steam the length and then lightly seal. I get a lot of growth from crochet braids but the ends of my hair tend to need more nursing back to health prior to the next install.

I'm planning on buying a revair next week Thursday.

so when I take this next install down ,I'll be able to pamper, and dry adequately as well as trim.

CoilyArielBrowe

Two weeks ago I decided I needed a break and had marley twists put in. I'm shooting for 4-6 weeks.
TwistsL.jpg TwistsR.jpg
I haven't been doing any regular maintenance so starting this week I will oil ( Alikay Naturals Essential Oil )or spray ( Xcel) my scalp at least once a week and massage. Twice a week I'll spray the length of the twists with a leave-in ( SSI Tahiti or Alikay Lemongrass) and seal with shea butter.

GGsKin

Prepoo'd with steam yesterday using the same mix as before, this time adding some fenugreek-infused oil.

Rinsed and used a clay mix of rhassoul, c.bentonite, kaolin, honey, silk amino acids, rice water and a splash of ACV. Added Brahmi for my scalp only and left on for about an hr. Hair was soft upon rinsing.

Followed with a small amount of CRN Coconut Water leave-in, Shea mix root to tip, and put some twists in, tapping gel on my roots and ends.

pikkonoloidlee

I've been wanting to get back into using shampoo bars so I got Jason and the argan oil from lush. I really like it so far and I think it'll be a great travel option.

Today for wash day I used:
- Lush Jason and The Argan Oil
- KCKT
- The Mane Choice Biotin Infused Styling Gel (I think I still prefer KCCC though)

I just put my hair up into a bun afterwards.

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I just reached APL today. I’m super excited, so instead of lurking, I’ve decided to join the fun. My goal is to reach BSL by December 2019.
I will post an official starting picture this weekend along with a detailed regimen.

EDIT:
Excuse the fly-aways in my official pic, lol. My hair just did not want to lay flat for me. I’m due for a trim, but I want to wait another month to see if some of the hairs catch up. I don’t want to unnecessarily lose the length I just achieved.

2E7E0A73-8AE5-40D7-BB4D-3990C213A71D.jpeg

My regimen:
Wash weekly, preferably on Sunday
CO-wash as needed
DC w/ Conditioner and Shea butter mix, weekly
Protein treatment, monthly
Protective style with bun, whether hair is straight or curly

My products:
Shampoo: Obia Naturals tea tree and Neem
CO-wash: Pantene
DC: various, all will be mixed with my Shea Butter concoction
Protein: Mizani Kerafuse

No wigs, no braids

Last edited:

pikkonoloidlee

Making some tweaks to my routine...
- wash mon, wed, fri
- overnight treatments on Sunday either olaplex no 2 or deep conditioner
- shampoo as needed
- protein every two weeks
- hair color every few months probably on Sunday night as well
- bunning with satin scrunchies (might get silk at some point)

Today I used:
- Olaplex No 5
- KCKT
- KCCC

My hair doesn't seem to miss oils/butters as much as I thought it would and because there's less build up I'm noticing that my hair isn't as dry. It's also more defined/less frizzy. I never really thought that that could be an issue for my hair. Maybe it's the hard water...

Caramel74

@keranikki Congratulations! To keep that hair growing strong n healthy, next step, have the salon flatiron and have just your hemline cleaned. It'll still b APL. Depends if u wear it straight at times or not though. Either way, great job!!

:congrats:
:sunshine:

Last edited:

Caramel74

Making some tweaks to my routine...
- wash mon, wed, fri
- overnight treatments on Sunday either olaplex no 2 or deep conditioner
- shampoo as needed
- protein every two weeks
- hair color every few months probably on Sunday night as well
- bunning with satin scrunchies (might get silk at some point)

Today I used:
- Olaplex No 5
- KCKT
- KCCC

My hair doesn't seem to miss oils/butters as much as I thought it would and because there's less build up I'm noticing that my hair isn't as dry. It's also more defined/less frizzy. I never really thought that that could be an issue for my hair. Maybe it's the hard water...
You have to deal w hard water hon? I'm so sorry but the good news is there are several fixes for that. They have shower heads in Bed Bath & Beyond. I worked in that department and a customer actually schooled me. Hang on brb I didn't see that the first time.

Caramel74

@pikkonoloidlee

Amazon has a shower head relatively cheap and also shampoos specifically for that. I copied one showerhead for you:
Shower Head Filter Water Softener Shower Head with Vitamin C Cartridge- Universal Shower System Removes Chlorine & Fluorides and Harmful Substances. Help Dry Skin & Hair Loss Solution
by Vibency

I feel so bad for anyone dealing with that I lost so much hair. That's when I had my 2nd child my hair was BSL and so thick and I lost it all!

pikkonoloidlee

@Caramel74
My hair is very prone to build up. When I water wash after about maybe 2 washes my hair gets very coated and dry as if there's a film on it. I'm not shampooing that often though that's just as needed. I'll be cowashing or using a shampoo bar most days.

I've been thinking of getting a water filter but I keep going back and forth on it because I keep seeing that it doesn't soften the water although it may filter out some things.