Bunning Challenge 2010?

BostonMaria

I am doing a bunning challenge just for myself and I'm wondering if anyone wants to join me. I'm only doing this for 6 months. Anything more than that might drive me batty LOL

I'm hoping to bun 5 days a week and give myself a break on the weekends (that's what Traycee did). Right now my regimen is:

• Co-wash once a week, deep condition under my steamer for an hour, rollerset and bun. No flatiron, but only because I can get away with it in the winter. In the summer I'd have hair bigger than Beyonce on Dream Girls LOL
  • Bun Monday thru Friday
  • Apply either conditioner and/or avocado oil to my ends right before bunning.
  • Slick my hair back with an Afroveda butter (right now my favorite is Shea Amla). If I run out then I'll use shea butter.
  • Search and destroys every 2 weeks.

Today's bun

Here is my hair goal:

* Gain 3 inches of hair by June 2010, which to me is realistic.
* Stop pulling my hair on the left side. Anybody that knows me knows that I LOVE to twirl my hair on the left side. Its now left me with lopsided hair LOL so in June I'll either see if I can get rid of the bad habit, see if the problem isn't at bad, or maybe get a trim. At least I'll have 3 inches of hair so it won't hurt my feelings :grin:
* Be full WSL by June

If there is a bunning challenge already in progress please point me in the right direction :yep:

Last edited:

cch24

I'd love to join you! I've been bunning consistently since January 2009 so it has become a way of life. I am transitioning and my goal is to retain as much hair as possible.

ETA:
Regimen-
prepoo, wash, dc weekly
braid to stretch hair
bun
moisturize and seal twice daily

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I'd love to join you! I've been bunning consistently since January 2009 so it has become a way of life. I am transitioning and my goal is to retain as much hair as possible.

right now I am on day 3 or 4 (can't remember :grin: ) of bunning. How do you keep yourself from getting bored with your bun?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I want to join too!

I will be:
1. Shampooing my hair once a week.
2. DCing at least once a week, but I will be trying for twice.
3. Using a medium-strength reconstructor once a week.
4. Rollersetting once a week.
5. Moisturizing, sealing, and bunning every day.
6. Baggying every night.
7. S&Ding twice a month, and dusting once.

I want to be APL by February and BSL by December. :yep:

But I feel like the only person who likes to bun. I want to do it for the rest of the year, and so far, I'm not really minding.
I don't really get urges to wear my hair down, probably because I ain't got none. :lachen:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I am doing a bunning challenge just for myself and I'm wondering if anyone wants to join me. I'm only doing this for 6 months. Anything more than that might drive me batty LOL

I'm hoping to bun 5 days a week and give myself a break on the weekends (that's what Traycee did). Right now my regimen is:

• Co-wash once a week, deep condition under my steamer for an hour, rollerset and bun. No flatiron, but only because I can get away with it in the winter. In the summer I'd have hair bigger than Beyonce on Dream Girls LOL
  • Bun Monday thru Friday
  • Apply either conditioner and/or avocado oil to my ends right before bunning.
  • Slick my hair back with an Afroveda butter (right now my favorite is Shea Amla). If I run out then I'll use shea butter.
  • Search and destroys every 2 weeks.
Today's bun

Here is my hair goal:

* Gain 3 inches of hair by June 2010, which to me is realistic.
* Stop pulling my hair on the left side. Anybody that knows me knows that I LOVE to twirl my hair on the left side. Its now left me with lopsided hair LOL so in June I'll either see if I can get rid of the bad habit, see if the problem isn't at bad, or maybe get a trim. At least I'll have 3 inches of hair so it won't hurt my feelings :grin:
* Be full WSL by June

If there is a bunning challenge already in progress please point me in the right direction :yep:

I just came in to say I like your bun. If you want to make it more interesting try some hair toys, and beads. Trycee has an yt video on how she puts beads in her hair when she buns.

chelleypie810

I wanna join! I wanna join! =)

Wash and DC weekly
Light Reconstructor probably once a month
Stronger reconstructor right before perm time
Blow out and put in bun

as chaos said I don't have any urges to wear it down because when I do it takes too much time to make it look right.

Last edited:

Janet'

Hi...I want to join. I've been gone for a minute off the hair boards, but I'm back now. I am trying to get back into a regimen, so I'll post again soon once I figure that out! Thanks for the challenge...I'm excited!

AnnasMom

I wanna join! You must be reading my mind!!!! I didn't know what to do with my hair this morning so I co-washed and put it up in a ballet bun. 6 months of bunning sounds great to me! I'm also trying to deep condition weekly. I don't know enough about baggying... but as soon as I learn I might hop on that bandwagon too!

Fhrizzball

There's a winter bunning challenge going on but it's over in March. The link to it is in my siggy. I would like to bun on this challenge though I would have to take a two month break because I'm getting braids in March for my outdoor adventuring trip and I don't want to worry about my hair during that time. Can I still join? Do you sleep in your bun? Right now my hair isn't that long so I do two buns on the side and sometimes join them into one via a hair tie.

I'm still working out my bun regime but I think I need to up my protein just henna isn't doing it for me after all so I'll come back when my hair gets back under control.

BostonMaria

There's a winter bunning challenge going on but it's over in March. The link to it is in my siggy. I would like to bun on this challenge though I would have to take a two month break because I'm getting braids in March for my outdoor adventuring trip and I don't want to worry about my hair during that time. Can I still join? Do you sleep in your bun? Right now my hair isn't that long so I do two buns on the side and sometimes join them into one via a hair tie.

I'm still working out my bun regime but I think I need to up my protein just henna isn't doing it for me after all so I'll come back when my hair gets back under control.

Thank you ladies!! I was going to do this alone, but I figured I'd try to get some help and support from everyone.

Yes of course you can join! I see that your challenge ends in March and this one in June so good timing. I've never done this before so this is all new to me, but I know I can be disciplined enough. I'll bump every few weeks or if I'm feeling discouraged :ohwell: :grin: In June I'll get my herr done and flatiron to see where I'm at. I'm getting all giddy just thinking about it LOL

ceebee3

I'll join, I'm frustrated with my progress and don't feel like dealing with my hair.

I'll be wearing my hair in 2 braids and a bun though. I don't like the way my ends feel when I just bun.

janeemat

Boston, I will join you. I have been bunning Mon-Fri all month and wearing it down on Sundays. I'm trying to gain more length and thickness. 6 months sounds good to me. This is basically what I'm doing:

Co wash any Dominican Rinse

Aphoghee 2 min Reconstructor

Deep Cond – Silicon Mix/10 en 1with essential oils

Leave ins – Rusk Smoother, Aphoghee green tea reconstructor and bliss

Mizani h20 night time treatment/oils

1 Braid down or bun

Eisani

Sign me up.

Wash or cowash and dc 1/wk
Tension and stress free buns; flexi8's, freebase buns will be my goal.
Moisturize/seal 2x's/day
Baggy @ nite
Good Hair Days pins only

cch24

right now I am on day 3 or 4 (can't remember :grin: ) of bunning. How do you keep yourself from getting bored with your bun?

... I don't. :ohwell: I'm terribly bored, but I'm on a mission. I'm hoping that as my natural hair gets longer (I'm MBL when straightened but only have 15 months of new growth) I'll be able to utilize more hair toys and such. Until then... :wallbash:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I used Caisha's bun tutorial to help me do a somewhat braided bun (its more of a twist) and it looks very elegant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfjwGutIOzQ

This was my signature bun for a while last year.

I need to go back to it.

When I get bored, I go accessory shopping. I have an accessory folder in my photobucket album.
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/accessories/

I have been meaning to update it with where I got everything. When I do, I'll let you know.

mkd

I am in too.

I co wash one a week and wash once a week. I will be rollersetting every other week. I am going to try bunning with pantyhose tomorrow. I have been using ouchless bands. I am also going to pick up some good day hair pins.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'm on a personal hair bun challenge myself for 2010. I'm trying to retain growth pass APL.
Here is my routine: shampoo once or twice a month, moisturize daily or as needed with African Royale Braid spray and Aussie Moist conditioner, seal ends with oil, and use boar bristle brush to slick back my edges.

NaturalPath

Ill join!

I was on a personal bun challenge anyway since every other challenge had started when I joined. I had also planned on bunning for 6 months.

My regimen

wash 2-3 days weekly
use chicoros 3 step moisturizing process
No heat...let hair airdry 80%

janeemat

My bun is irritating me today. I had one good day pin and one bobbi pin. Took out the bobbi pin, changed the position of the good day pin and it's still sore. Why does this happen. The bun is very loose, just my hair wrapped around. I guess I will do one plait tonight after my wash.

BostonMaria

This was my signature bun for a while last year.

I need to go back to it.

When I get bored, I go accessory shopping. I have an accessory folder in my photobucket album.
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/accessories/

I have been meaning to update it with where I got everything. When I do, I'll let you know.

I was never big on hair accessories until now. I left PJism alone (well a lil bit :lachen:) and I really don't want to leave one crack habit for another LOL Please show us your stash!

Ill join!

I was on a personal bun challenge anyway since every other challenge had started when I joined. I had also planned on bunning for 6 months.

My regimen

wash 2-3 days weekly
use chicoros 3 step moisturizing process
No heat...let hair airdry 80%

Do you mind posting Chicoro's 3 step process? I can't look at Fotki from work :nono:

My bun is irritating me today. I had one good day pin and one bobbi pin. Took out the bobbi pin, changed the position of the good day pin and it's still sore. Why does this happen. The bun is very loose, just my hair wrapped around. I guess I will do one plait tonight after my wash.

What are you using to wrap the bun in place? I cut up some nylons and I'm using it to hold the ponytail. I got the idea from Chicoro. At first I thought it was silly, but her hair is long so she must be on to something! LOL

BostonMaria

Today's hot buns LOL :giggle:

My two Etsy purchases

I think its funny how I used to HATE buns when I was a little girl. I grew up in a predominately white neighborhood and I would feel bad seeing all my classmates with their hair out, here I was in my bun or ponytails. I hated it! LOL Now I feel all proud that I can bun my natural hair again. Who knew?

growinglong777

I am in, I have bunning for the last 6 months, trying to get to MBL. I wash and rollerset weekly. Bun from Monday - Friday, only wear my hair down on the Weekends for the hubby.:yep:

Qurlyqt

I'm in the Bun Challenge that ends in March and depending on the "outcome" :perplexed (the final condition of my hair, the length retention, and whether I'm on bun overload), I may join this one. Subscribing to this thread in case I want to stay in the race. :yep:

Maria, I :love2: that bun in your original post!

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Today's hot buns LOL :giggle:

My two Etsy purchases

I think its funny how I used to HATE buns when I was a little girl. I grew up in a predominately white neighborhood and I would feel bad seeing all my classmates with their hair out, here I was in my bun or ponytails. I hated it! LOL Now I feel all proud that I can bun my natural hair again. Who knew?

The bolded is so true. My mom knew what she was doing and I hated it all.

janeemat

What are you using to wrap the bun in place? I cut up some nylons and I'm using it to hold the ponytail. I got the idea from Chicoro. At first I thought it was silly, but her hair is long so she must be on to something! LOL quote

I don't have it in a ponytail. I just twirled my hair around and pinned it.

BostonMaria

I am in, I have bunning for the last 6 months, trying to get to MBL. I wash and rollerset weekly. Bun from Monday - Friday, only wear my hair down on the Weekends for the hubby.:yep:

With all the bunning you've been doing have you noticed any benefits? Setbacks?

What are you using to wrap the bun in place? I cut up some nylons and I'm using it to hold the ponytail. I got the idea from Chicoro. At first I thought it was silly, but her hair is long so she must be on to something! LOL quote

I don't have it in a ponytail. I just twirled my hair around and pinned it.

And you're still getting a headache? Wow. My only guess is that maybe you scratched your head with the bobby pin. I was looking for a "nylon bun" tutorial on YT to show you, but I got all these "weird" results :nono: People are just nasty LOL