calling all 4a/b lye relaxers

Godsway

Hi ladies,

I am a 4a/b and I have not had a perm since mid August. I was considering going natural. But have decided to give lye perms a try to see how they work for me before I give up on perms all together. I have had no-lye perms since I was 14. I read all the benefits of having a lye perm and am a little afraid of the whole scalp thing(lye perms being rougher on your scalp than no-lye perms) but am willing to give it a try. From the posts here it seems many ladies are unhappy with motions. Mizani seems to be popular? A friend of mine who is a hairdresser really likes the Optimum lye relaxer. So, basically I just want to get your opinion on what lye relaxer has worked for you and why? As well as what didnt work for your 4a/b hair and why? Thanks in advance ladies!!!!! :) :)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I was using Moition Oil in regular or mild. I loved how it made my hair feel but it didn't always get my hair straight enough. My last touch up I used Optimim Multi Mineral Lye in mild. It worked fine, nothing outstanding but I would use again if I can't get Vitale lye or Affirm.

devin

i have used mizani and affirm in the past. i liked them both, b/c they provided shine and got my hair bone straight(like i like it) w/out burning. my hair felt healthy and strong after using them.

HWAY

My beautician just relaxed my hair for the second time using Mizani. This is after 2-3 years of using Affirm. He and I both agree Mizani is much better. He says that he likes Mizani better for his clients that have switched. My hair does feel as dry as it felt when using Affirm.

Faith

HWAY said:
My beautician just relaxed my hair for the second time using Mizani. This is after 2-3 years of using Affirm. He and I both agree Mizani is much better. He says that he likes Mizani better for his clients that have switched. My hair does feel as dry as it felt when using Affirm.

Do you mean it DOES NOT feel as dry as it felt with Affirm?

jasmin

I just used Motions Herbal Silkener relaxer regular and so far I'm loving.

My husband thinks this is the best one I've had so far since self relaxing.

KhandiB

I use Mizani Coarse/Resistant

Its better than Affirm and with Motions it seems as though my hair went back after my first wash.. So right now Mizani is the Truth for me...

jasmin

KhandiB said:
I use Mizani Coarse/Resistant

Its better than Affirm and with Motions it seems as though my hair went back after my first wash.. So right now Mizani is the Truth for me...

Which Motions did you use?

By the way, your hair is beautiful and shiny. What do you use to get that shine?

Shiloh

I have used Motions Oil and it felt really moisturizing going on but my hair came out really underproccessed. I don't know of any good lye relaxers but before I transitioned I used Mizani and I loved it. My hair felt strong even though it was relaxed bone straight.

HTH

lala

I have used them all -- but mostly Affirm and Design Essentials. Design Essentials performs the best on my hair and is the least drying. Affirm would be my 2nd choice and Mizani would be my 3rd.

Elizabeth26

I started out using No lye when I first started relaxing my hair. I can't really say there was a difference between the no lye and lye for me. I started using lye relaxers because I changed my hair stylist. I have used Motions, Optimum Care, and currently using Mizani. I like all 3 of these relaxers but if I couldn't get the Mizani I would go back to Optimum Care. I use Mizani mild and all these relaxers get my hair straight.

KhandiB

jasmin said:
Which Motions did you use?

By the way, your hair is beautiful and shiny. What do you use to get that shine?

Natural Oasis...
and Pantene R&N Oil Sheen

and I used to use the Motions Oil Moisturizing

ToyaP

Hello All,

I use Motions Oil Moisturizer regular relaxer and I SWEAR by it! I've been using Moitions' relaxers for eight years now and my hair loves them. The one time in the eight years the I tried a different relaxer it burned me sooooo bad that i swore to never stray again. :lachen:

locfreeme

I use Hawaiian Silky Mild No-base Relaxer to texturize. My hair might be considered a bit underprocessed for straight or bone-straight girls, but it works for me. I put a LOT of Vaseline on my scalp because I scratch like crazy, sometimes even as I'm basing my scalp. I put the relaxer on my hair only and not the scalp, and I don't smooth. I don't have ANY problem with burning.

I had a TERRIBLE experience with Optimum - left my hair extremely dry and I also lost quite a bit of hair in the back - whole strands were coming out in my hands (although some of that was due to user error - lol). The dryness and related breakage was so, so bad and I'm slowly recovering from it, but I definitely won't try Optimum again.

Last edited:

Kitkat

I used Motions Oil Moisturizer once. My hair is probably still laughing, since it did absolutely nothing for me. I have used Affirm mild for three years and love it. Maybe it's the whole Affirm system, but after the touch-up, wash, condition and rollerset my hair looks great. It has what I can only call a really glossy quality to it that I can't replicate after af few wash and sets. Can't report any problems with Affirm drying my hair, thankfully.