Calling all bra strap or longer ladies

GiGi55799

Out of curiousity, what is your standpoint on protective styling. I am currently contemplating going on a protective style break.
1. How do you all feel about these types of styles?
2. If you dont use them how do you protect your ends?

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
I don't think you have to wear protective styles, just keep your hair moisturized every day. Some people 'seal' the ends with different products. I hope they reply because I don't know the names of the products they use. There are people here with long, beautiful, healthy hair that can answer this question better.

ChocoKitty

I'm a current believer in protectives styles. My protective style is just wear my nautural in ponytail. I have a tendency to pull on my hair when it's straight and down. Right no I CO and coat my hair with conditioner. Then I dip my ends in castor oil.

Tracy

I think protective styles help - but I think breaks from protective styles help too. Sometimes you just need one. You'll get tired of having it down, and in your way, soon enough.

jainygirl

i like protective styles alot, but i have to say that the last 3 months i've been sporting my hair in a ponytail the majority of the time. It's funny you started this post because i just decided this morning to go back to wearing my bun everyday.

Tracy is right, you will get sick of wearing it down soon enough. I count a ponytail as wearing my hair down, i've worn it "out" as in no ponytail like 3 times since April and honestly i just dont like my hair out, it just doesnt feel practical. Plus i always feel like it's getting damaged. Even when it's in a ponytail, the underside of my hair will begin to tangle after so long and i have to spend time untangling it.

But to answer your second question, i protect my ends when i wear my hair out or in a ponytail by moisturizing my ends each night and wearing my hair in a bun to bed covered with a silk scarf or cap. this way they get tended to daily and are strong enough to deal with the elements.

With all that said protective styles just are easier and way more low maintenance for day to day. -- jainygirl

skegeesmb

I like protective styles a lot. I do wear my hair down more than I have last year. I think Jainy and Tracy are right though. I got sick of wearing my hair down. It's not long enough so that all of my hair is past the armpit, so that it's heavy enough that if my hair lays on my shoulder it's still lying on my back. It tangles and I'm very aware of it's presence.

I hope that when it get's longer than braclasp, I'll wear it down even more.

I wear my hair down a lot and my hair still grows pretty healthy and quick. To protect my hair I usuall wear braid-out, bantu/twist outs which are semi-protective and twist or braid it back up when I come home for the day. When I wear my hair straight I aslo immediately wrap it back up when I come home for the rest of the day. Like the other ladies who replied I also make sure to moisturize and seal it with oils then keep my hair covered in a wrap band or silk. HTH

Allandra

I really like protective styles. For me, they're fast, easy and convenient. And of course, I definitely don't mind wearing protective styles.

ccd

this summer I have been alternating between buns, braid outs, and wash and go ...its been too hot to sit under that darn dryer and the idea of taking time to roller set is becoming a chore...I'm lazy right now., also my parttime job requires that we wear our hair back so ...pluuulezzzz I'm not roller setting that often any more.

I haven't done protective styles in the past...just an "informal" one that I'd do because of work...just clip it up in other words..not to ensure my hair really.

lonei

I like having my hair out occasionally when its just washed and doobied, however, with all the hugs and kisses I recieve from people throughout the day, it gets snagged and pulled etc, not to mention people running their false claws through it
. I dont understand how people where their hair out everyday, thats why I like my protective styles such as cainrows, bantu knots(left in tact) etc. It does also tend to get dry and a bit tangled by the end of the day which can be a bit problematic.

kitchen_tician

I wear my hair down alot, and I don't moisturize my ends daily, nor am I consistent with protective styles. I wear my hair loosely bunned or pinned alot for work, but it's because it gets in the way, not necessarily for protecting my ends.

MizAvalon

I wear protective stlyes a lot even though I think they are pretty boring. It's great for my hair and discourages people from touching!(My pet peeve
) But, I admit, when my hair was shorter I hardly ever wore protective styles and it was still fine. I'm a bit past bra-strap now.

I tend to wear "lazy" protective styles- just pinning or clipping the hair up (not a perfect bun).

If my hair is straight when I wear it down, I use some kind of oil to keep it "moisturized"- I apply some in the morning and again at night before I go to bed.

If my hair is textured (braidout, twistout, wash-and-go), I spritz with a mixture of distilled water and conditioner and then add some Sta-Sof-Fro. I reapply at night if I am not too lazy:)

QVEE

I think protective styles are good. I currently wear my hair in a bun or a ponytail. It's quick and easy. I moisturize my ends with s-curl and some shea butter grease and it works well with my hair.

Protective styles are the best because not only is it good for my hair to be left alone, it is also convenient. I wear my hair in twists most of the time, and when it gets close to wash time, I wear a twistout for a few days.