calling all girls with pressed hair

dorothy

hey guys, i'm new to this forum and i wanted to start a post for girls with natural hair who get it pressed. (i noticed that most of the women on this site have relaxed hair.) if there is one already, could someone please provide a link? also, i need a good hair care regimen. i've had my hair braided for about 5 years now. i cut if off to about an inch two years ago. two days ago i finally decided to go to a hairstylist and get it pressed. i don't want to ever relax my hair again. but i need some tips from those of you out there with pressed hair on the best brands of ...
shampoo
conditioner
treatment
thermal protectant
ceramic straightening irons
etc.
out there.
please keep in mind that i have 4a/4b hair and i'm planning on getting it pressed every week until it can get used to staying straight.

LaFemmeNegrita

Welcome to the board, Dorothy! I just typed "pressed" into the search window, and came up with a whole page of links. I think you'll find a lot of information to care for pressed hair, in the archives.

Nanyanika

Hello dorothy, welcome to the board

Well I personally don't press my natural, still waiting to reach my goal, first. however I've heard that Apex pressing oil is an great water repellent, excellent for preventing pressed hair from reverting too easily. Also,you can tame your hair to stay straight if you wrap it every night before you go to bed.
Good luck

pet

Hi Dorothy!! I get my hair pressed, and I use Apex pressing oil. Ultra Sheen Creme of press is good also. They come in different colors, but they all do a good job on my mom's head. There are not a lot of pressing hair websites out there (believe me, I looked) but one that seems to be the best is pressinghair.com. I think that is the best website out of all that I have looked at. Also, I advise you NOT to press your hair every week, you most likely will get a lot of damage. You should start pressing your hair maybe every two weeks. Right now I press my hair every three, because I think all of that heat is not good for my hair. To keep it straight, you should wrap it every night. Of Course you would have to find away to protect your hairline. As for shampoo, conditioner, etc.. I think any will do. It is really the pressing oil that you use, that's important.

Hope this helps!

SVT

Poster: dorothy
[ QUOTE ]
... i'm planning on getting it pressed every week until it can get used to staying straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you plan on wearing your hair in straight styles most of the time? I ask because I like to alternate between pressing and wash-n-go's. If my hair got used to staying straight, I would lose that versatility. Please be careful with the heat.

Some products I like using which are great whether I'm pressing or not are:

Loreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment (LUST) - great detangler

Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner- detangles, lasting moisture

Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner - cheap, smells nice and it's great for conditioner washes

Avocado Oil - I prefer liquid oils and this one is the best! It absorbs well on wet hair. Mix it with a conditioner and it adds to the softness. I also use it as a pressing oil sparingly.

A new thing I started doing a couple of weeks ago is conditioning wash before pressing. Previously, I had always used shampoo before pressing because...that's the way I had ALWAYS done it. The biggest difference I've noticed with conditioning washes before pressing is that my ends don't feel or look as rough as in the past. This might also be due to the avocado oil too because I started both at the same time.

serena

[ QUOTE ]
pet said: There are not a lot of pressing hair websites out there (believe me, I looked) but one that seems to be the best is pressinghair.com. I think that is the best website out of all that I have looked at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pressinghair.com was the only site I came up with when I did a search for hair pressing sites. Trouble is, it seems to be down/defunct. Anybody knows of any other sites dedicated to pressing hair?

G

Pressing my hair every two weeks would be a problem..in the past I washed my hair and pressed it once a week with touch up in between because my hair gets frizzy easy. I am going to start washing my hair every three days or twice a week and since I have been hearing that heat is really bad I'm going to have press only on one those washings and wear my hair "poufy"-as long as I don't go anywhere on those days. My hair can get really curly if I use curl activator but the "curly" look was out for me since 1986...when I was 6. I noticed that alot of people use it to moisturize on here though..

dorothy

Wow! It's so weird to come back and look at my old posts. I can't believe I was actually pressing my hair weekly. WTF was I thinking. Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. You ladies are so nice and informative! Well, I'm happy to say that I do not press my hair. My new hairstyle of choice are twists/twistouts. Once again, I would just love to thank all of you ladies on the board for your suggestions.